If You Had A Time Machine ...

Marka Ragnos

You've been given an operational time machine. It can only go backwards through time on your outward journey from the present. Then, after exactly 48 hours, it will teleport you forward to the present only, no matter where you are and/or what's happened to you in the past.

You can only stay for two days in the past, and you may travel just this once, so choose wisely! 

There are some ground rules. You can only take yourself, a small amount of food and water, medicine for yourself if necessary, and period garments of your choice. You can't take any technology back in time, apart from implanted medical devices, and no books. You're advised to be careful not to dramatically try to change history or pre-history, but you may ignore that advice. Still, no tech allowed. You can't, for instance, go back in time and give Copernicus a brand new telescope. You also have to avoid your own ancestors, if possible, so that you don't risk bending your own timeline, killing a grandparent, etc.  

What two days in the past would you choose and where?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

You can't take money? Cos forget investing, I could say take a months wage from 2023 travel back to the 60s buy a house have enough change left over to have a skin full and then travel back to the future still owning said house? Or I could travel back with my savings and own a substantial amount of land... Boring answer

82 obviously

Berlin 89 I reckon would make for a good night out, in terms of buzz and raw energy I think of you wanted to people watch with a beer in your hand that would take some beating

Various gigs and time periods based around music and vinyl shopping

Hitler, Hoover and then conversely Kennedy x 2 and MLK, various speeches such as MLK - but I think Hitler would be more interesting if you could prevent WW1 and then travel to Vienna 1920s and tell the tramp his postcards are shit and hoover would be interesting to see what comes next because you can tie him in to so many conspiracy theories and just negativity in modern America, maybe macarthur too to see how the cold war plays out

If I can take tipex with me "right to bear arms" would magically disappear from history

Edited by villa4europe

9 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Well, if I could go anywhere, absolutely anywhere at all in time, I think I'd probably choose to go back to a week last Tuesday.

Beat me to it ya bugger! 😁

• Haha 1

I'm going to immediately subvert the premise of this thread a little, sorry. 

Because I don't want to invoke the law of unintended consequences, I don't want to time travel as specified - it's too dangerous. 

What I'd really like is a 'VR time machine'. You'd enter the room, put the headset on - so far, so Oculus Quest  - choose a time and place, and you'd instantly 'be' there and then. But only as an observer, with no ability to interact with people. As far as the people in your target zone are concerned, you're not there at all. But you'd have full sensory perception - 360° vision, touch, taste, smell, hearing. 

Just imagine, you could witness all the great - and not so great - events of history. Check out this Jesus story once and for all, stand unharmed on the slopes of Etna as Pompeii went under, look over Newton's shoulder as he scribbled his equations, watch Villa win their first FA Cup in 1887. 

It's be like the ultimate TV documentary streaming channel, but with total immersion. 

That's what I want. So I wish Elon Musk would stop pissing about with electric spaceships and get on with inventing it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

You've been given an operational time machine. It can only go backwards through time on your outward journey from the present. Then, after exactly 48 hours, it will teleport you forward to the present only, no matter where you are and/or what's happened to you in the past.

I’d go back 5 hours force you to change the rules to unlimited travel and then leap around like Dr Sam Beckett.

I'm not sure time travel is ever as simple as killing Hitler , I reckon a world war around that time frame would have been inevitable and whose not to say a few years difference wouldn’t have lead to more  destruction  and more atomic bombs being used .

Tempting as it is to go to September 28th 1066 and somehow sink  the Norman fleet , on  the basis I’m not changing anything I guess for my 2 days I’d go to the funeral of Khufu and see the great pyramid in all it’s splendour 

and I’d go back to the Jurassic era and have a day watching dinosaurs , seeing the planet before any human life , would be an amazing thing to observe 

yeah I’m boring and lacking imagination 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm going to immediately subvert the premise of this thread a little, sorry. 

Because I don't want to invoke the law of unintended consequences, I don't want to time travel as specified - it's too dangerous. 

What I'd really like is a 'VR time machine'. You'd enter the room, put the headset on - so far, so Oculus Quest  - choose a time and place, and you'd instantly 'be' there and then. But only as an observer, with no ability to interact with people. As far as the people in your target zone are concerned, you're not there at all. But you'd have full sensory perception - 360° vision, touch, taste, smell, hearing. 

Just imagine, you could witness all the great - and not so great - events of history. Check out this Jesus story once and for all, stand unharmed on the slopes of Etna as Pompeii went under, look over Newton's shoulder as he scribbled his equations, watch Villa win their first FA Cup in 1887. 

It's be like the ultimate TV documentary streaming channel, but with total immersion. 

That's what I want. So I wish Elon Musk would stop pissing about with electric spaceships and get on with inventing it. 

Yeah , I like your idea , I actually thought about the Jesus idea for my post same reason as you but went with dinosaurs in the end , mainly as I don’t  think there is any actual evidence Jesus is real and I didn’t want to have wasted a day trip  :) 

28th February 1986 Sveavägen Stockholm. Our Prime Minister Olof Palme got murdered there and the killer have never been caught. I would like to see if it actually was Stig Engström.

Maybe I could stop it just before and still know the answer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

and I’d go back to the Jurassic era and have a day watching dinosaurs , seeing the planet before any human life , would be an amazing thing to observe

same here but the thing is the jurassic era alone spans many millions of years. you wouldn't see much in the 2 days the OP permitted us!

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

1996 and walk out of the pub my future Mrs was in 

I'd go back and attempt to meet my current wife twenty years earlier.

Decades wasted with the wrong people is just criminal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'd go back and attempt to meet my current wife twenty years earlier.

Decades wasted with the wrong people is just criminal.

I thought you’d go back to December 1994 and stop a certain Mr and Mrs Grealish from having sexy time 😉

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I thought you’d go back to December 1994 and stop a certain Mr and Mrs Grealish from having sexy time 😉

Ah well, you see, it's like this...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I would look up old newspapers/news stories and go back to one day before the lotto ( of which I now know the winning numbers ) was drawn

Yep and I’d leave a note for my younger self with the winning lotto numbers or pick a share or two that performed stupidly well.  

I know if I received a note like that now from a future me even if I never met that future me but just received a note, maybe via post or something with an added line only I know, I would take advantage of it.

Â