Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

18 hours ago, striker said:

With respect being a member of a team that has been relegated doesn’t make you a bad player. Villa were relegated with Grealish in the side.

Grealish was a developing youth player who played around 800 minutes of football and started 9 games.

JWP started every league game for Southampton, was subed once due to injury and only one other time in the 87th minute.

Either you didn't know that which means the comparison is based on lack of knowledge, or you did and you can't see the difference. Which is it?

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

These loan deals are stressing me out 

Wesley,Davis,Sanson and Traore need to be moved on permanently now im sick and fed up of hearing their names still linked with this club. Why is it so bloody impossible to sell this bunch.

SIMON COWELL..DUH.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I monitor this thread to see if we are making a legitimate signing. I've seen untold posts from people including yourself if I could be bothered to find it expressing dismay that the numerous links aren't coming to fruition. The social media infested transfer window is ridiculous. That's all I'm pointing out most of the time. We've signed 3 excellent players out of +100 links but in flip side pages of comments about Pubill because of 1 tweet that's spawned a dozen other tweets. It's nuts. After this post we're guaranteed to sign Pubill obviously

It’s really, really, really, really……………..really boring 

• Like 1

I don't get the point of dismissing every link, the fact that we get linked to 100s of players makes the point for me, if we're being linked to 100s of players then of course we aren't going to sign them, that doesn't need stating, would be like feeling the need to tell every person who buys a lotto ticket that they're not going to win because millions of others buy a ticket and don't win. Besides this thread is for speculating, it doesn't mean people think we're going to sign every player we're linked to, they're just talking about the possibiity of it happening.

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who.

Mark Twain.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

INow it's just lack of football to watch,  endless transfer bollocks intensified by our success under Emery but lurking on other club threads it doesn't seem anywhere near this level of bollocks links

As was foretold several months ago by others on here. There's a logical explanation for the bollocks and its timing that you're witnessing. We are, after all, Aston Villa, one of the most important clubs of football history.

Should be no surprise that a big club coming back to its rightful place at the top of table, with deep-pocketed owners, a brilliant manager, and a recently thin squad, would bring out the misinformation brigades, too, particularly with the not-to-be-underestimated shambles of lies that Elon Musk has engineered at "X" fulminating right at the start of the summer window, as it opens transfer season.

It's been a perfect shitstorm for anyone seeking clear information. Everyone and his mother "wants some" from Villa right now. You know that when Manchester United fans are looking at our club with barely disguised envy, we've crossed some kind of rubicon. I honestly think we're one of the most electrifying projects in Europe right now. The downside is the madness you describe. Brighton had that last year, for a while. Less surprisingly, Arsenal did. Villarreal had it. Napoli, obviously. I just think the converging of various pressures has made for lots of confusion.

There are some solid journalists of goodwill who are reasonably reliable, and I follow those. Transfer reporting is its own mess.  I like Matt Maher. People can talk him down all they want, but Fabrizio has generally got things right this year with us. And John Townley is a straight shooter and hard worker, maybe not great for minute--to-minute transfer rumours, but I don't want that anyway.

Anyway, that's my perspective. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

Grealish was a developing youth player who played around 800 minutes of football and started 9 games.

JWP started every league game for Southampton, was subed once due to injury and only one other time in the 87th minute.

Either you didn't know that which means the comparison is based on lack of knowledge, or you did and you can't see the difference. Which is it?

Confirming that Grealish was part of a relegation team then went to the last game against West Ham to avoid relegation again. Which proves my point that being part of a side that was relegated doesn’t make you a bad player.

That is unless you are blaming Prowse for getting Southampton relegated? In which case I would suggest you look at his stats for last season!

20 hours ago, striker said:

With respect being a member of a team that has been relegated doesn’t make you a bad player. Villa were relegated with Grealish in the side.

Secondly, I’d be very interested to find out how you know Prowse is currently struggling to get get a move back to the Premiership?

If Prowse is indeed a much inferior player to Luiz then why were Villa trying to buy him last season?

Yes it was rumoured Arsenal we’re trying to buy Luiz last season and if rumours are correct the only reason why Villa didn’t sell him was they couldn’t find a replacement so close to the end of the window.

Playing for any national side, even Brazil, doesn’t guarantee quality. Wesley played for Brazil ffs!!

Douglas Luiz is twice the player sorry it’s not even a discussion. But I do agree being relegated doesn’t make you a bad player, Winjaldum & Sissoko come to mind. We were trying to buy Ward Prowse under Smith we’ve moved on to a far higher calibre of player now. I think Ward Prowse is lower half Everton , Sheffield Utd type player.

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Douglas Luiz is twice the player sorry it’s not even a discussion. But I do agree being relegated doesn’t make you a bad player, Winjaldum & Sissoko come to mind. We were trying to buy Ward Prowse under Smith we’ve moved on to a far higher calibre of player now. I think Ward Prowse is lower half Everton , Sheffield Utd type player.

Think West Spam are the ones most interested in him.

8 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Think West Spam are the ones most interested in him.

We've signed 2x 26 and a 24 year old. JWP is 29 in November. I'm happy for us to go with age profile we have this window and let Wet Spam replace a 24 year old mid with JWP

• Like 1

JWP is perfect for Moyes West Ham, they will utilise his set piece delivery well as they are a big physical team. Like others have said, JWP’s all round game is ok but certainly not better than anything we already have here at the club.

I highly doubt we would be looking to buy him now. Firstly, he wouldn’t be good value having signed a long term contract. Secondly, Dougie has stepped his game up to a whole new level, thirdly Kamara looks like he will be top quality with a season now under his belt. That is before I even get on to how much McGinn improved last year and how we now have Tielemans.

We haven’t been linked have we? That makes little sense.

• Like 2

João Neves sounds like he’ll be the next mega money midfielder produced by Benfica - looks the real deal at 18… 

https://footballtalentscout.net/2023/07/24/joao-neves-the-definition-of-a-benfiquista-by-shay-hicks/

In terms of ability, Neves is probably the closest thing you can find to a ‘perfect’ midfielder at 18 years old. Given his age it is impressive that he is so good at so many things. Defensively he more than holds his own in physical battles despite his smaller frame. He can make sliding or standing challenges equally well and is a very good communicator. When in possession he is very switched-on, constantly staying one step ahead of the opposition and routinely progressing play into the final third with his passes. Even in attack, he has shown that he is capable of providing a goal or assist when it matters most. It is honestly incredible to think of what João could become in just a few short seasons.

https://youtu.be/3duw4odZbW0

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

JWP is perfect for Moyes West Ham, they will utilise his set piece delivery well as they are a big physical team. Like others have said, JWP’s all round game is ok but certainly not better than anything we already have here at the club.

I highly doubt we would be looking to buy him now. Firstly, he wouldn’t be good value having signed a long term contract. Secondly, Dougie has stepped his game up to a whole new level, thirdly Kamara looks like he will be top quality with a season now under his belt. That is before I even get on to how much McGinn improved last year and how we now have Tielemans.

We haven’t been linked have we? That makes little sense.

I think Villa would have benefited from signing him two years ago...

Not now for the reasons you have mentioned.

• Like 4