Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I do wonder if our transfer plans will be slightly different now that we’ve qualified for Europe.

I imagine our plans will be the same, we'll just have an easier time landing some of the more ambitious names now that those players won't be giving up European football to join us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I imagine our plans will be the same, we'll just have an easier time landing some of the more ambitious names now that those players won't be giving up European football to join us. 

If we progress in Conferences League, we would play more games, and need a larger squad. Maybe we buy one or two more players than if we hadn’t qualified for Europe.

Also if do progress next season, and qualify for EL or CL, we need to be ready for that. 

Then again we would never know, since the club would not go out and say that if it wasn’t for Conference League, we wouldn’t have signed player X, but signed Y instead.

I think with the more fixtures next season because of Europe and the fact Emery will take it seriously you would think we would probably need a larger squad. Certainly today I looked at the bench and winced a little, goes to show what a job he has done though.

• Like 1

We have to be smart here,

we need to keep Archer and other youth players and we need to get a couple of top championship players for squad positions and competition.

we need 1-2 big signings of genuine quality. 

we need depth, we have the quality in some good areas. They cannot play all the games we will have next year. Rotation will be significant. 

• Like 1

Personally, I think the major improvement we need is being more clinical and ruthless in our finishing. 

So excited to see the talent and quality we will add to what is, under Unai, an excellent base and foundation of a team & squad. 

Just now, Jas10 said:

Personally, I think the major improvement we need is being more clinical and ruthless in our finishing. 

So excited to see the talent and quality we will add to what is, under Unai, an excellent base and foundation of a team & squad. 

Those defeats against Liverpool and Leicester still rankle because of all the missed chances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Those defeats against Liverpool and Leicester still rankle because of all the missed chances.

Yep.

It’s crazy how easy we’ve found it to create chances (but I still want improvement) since Unai arrived whereas we were clueless under the previous incumbent (idiot).

Even today, we should have put that game to bed but just didn’t have that ruthlessness and clinical finishing. Made it more difficult than it needed to be but… job done 😄

We could potentially play an extra fifteen games next season in Europe and on top of that will be hoping to go much further in the domestic cups. So going to need a bigger squad, can only name twenty-five over 21, so to boost options might have to sign more younger players.

The real joy of being in Europe is that we’ll have more games to keep a bigger squad in minutes! 

Hopefully see Archer, Ramsey (junior) and Tim join up with the first team! 

But I can’t wait for the signings! 

2 hours ago, kidlewis said:

We have to be smart here,

we need to keep Archer and other youth players and we need to get a couple of top championship players for squad positions and competition.

we need 1-2 big signings of genuine quality. 

we need depth, we have the quality in some good areas. They cannot play all the games we will have next year. Rotation will be significant. 

We all (no offence to you) think we know what we should and shouldn't do for each situation/outcome but, if we signed nobody between now and the start of the season and Unai presented a polished turd as our new start centre forward for the next season I'd still be expecting 15+ goals from it next season. 

40 minutes ago, useless said:

We could potentially play an extra fifteen games next season in Europe and on top of that will be hoping to go much further in the domestic cups. So going to need a bigger squad, can only name twenty-five over 21, so to boost options might have to sign more younger players.

Archer, Tim, Ramsey are already considered as new signings. If we get a winger, midfielder, center back and a striker (someone better than Watkins otherwise would be pointless). Then I think we’d have a great squad. Having Bailey, Buendia, McGinn, Ramsey, Traore, Dinge as squad players would be a real upgrade. We also can easily give them game time and rotate them with league games. You’d have the three youngsters aswell. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yep.

It’s crazy how easy we’ve found it to create chances (but I still want improvement) since Unai arrived whereas we were clueless under the previous incumbent (idiot).

Even today, we should have put that game to bed but just didn’t have that ruthlessness and clinical finishing. Made it more difficult than it needed to be but… job done 😄

We definitely need 15-20 goals more next season, you can see it in the league table.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

We definitely need 15-20 goals more next season, you can see it in the league table.

1.6 goals per game under Emery is 17.6 goals in the 11 games under Gerrard. We only scored 7. 

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

A Pedro Goncalves or Xavi Simons should fix that right up.  That and Asensio at RW/SS. Not much to ask is it.