Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

25 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I agree but again mcginn shouldn’t be looked at us a bench option at this time, but we can still sign someone who is in that same bracket and can give him tough competition, secondly Ugarte is a very expensive player in the £50m pound region so i dont want us to be spending high in an area which needs strengthening the very least in our side right now, two forward players around watkins that can get 11 goals a season between them would be the grand plan believe me.

Duran as hungry as hes looked is nowhere near the first team so we can probably not consider him in any plan at this time, if anything he will be a carabao cup starter. 

I definitely agree that two attacking players would be the priority (but they need to be targetting 11 goals each not between them - Buendia and Ramsey have got 11 between them this season and it isn't enough) and without signing another CM a midfield "trio" of Kamara, Luiz and McGinn is still pretty strong.

i know Brighton would demand a Brighton tax for him so im not actually advocating paying it, but that aside, i would love Mitoma at Villa, what a player he is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i know Brighton would demand a Brighton tax for him so im not actually advocating paying it, but that aside, i would love Mitoma at Villa, what a player he is.

Even beyond that, I think they'd see us as a direct competitor and probably refuse to sell to us.

Which would make sense to be fair.

Just go for whoever they'd be going for to replace him. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

I see people saying this a lot, but is there actually much evidence to suggest wages + signing fee for a free transfer equals the same as a standard transfer fee + wages + signing fee? I read an ESPN article last year that suggested an out of contract PL player with CL experience was looking for a £10m signing fee, though teams weren't willing to pay that much. The article didn't disclose who that player was, but a player with that type of profile and years left on their contract would have cost much more than £10m in last summer's market.

I guess it depends on the player and where he is in his career but certainly at the highest level where teams are competing for the best players that's the way it works. Teams know what they'll have to pay to have a champions league level player over three or four seasons, so if they pay a transfer fee plus wages over that four year period or pay a signing on fee and wages over that time it'll balance out to the market rate either way. We're paying Kamara a bucketload in lieu of paying OM a fee, but we're still essentially paying a total of £Xm to have him play for us for Y number of years.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Ceballos is a lovely player, just hasn't ever been able to live up to the potential considering he was one of the most highly-regarded prospects in the world at U21 level. Also has gotten himself in trouble once or twice for things he's said and done off the pitch so probably hasn't helped himself either in that regard (might be more but off the top of my head he got into a scrap in Arsenal training and once tweeted about the Nou Camp being bombed or something).

Still and all, really talented and could be a good signing. Not sure he's the profile of player that would be much of a game-changer for the squad though.

I watched the game yesterday (before it all kicked off with Vinicius Jr) and had my eye on Ceballos. He's a decent enough ball carrier and smart in possession but didn't rate many of his lay offs around the box, got disposed very easily although Real Madrid had nothing to play for so guys like Benzema weren't on it either.

Would be much more excited with Ugarte coming in as him at 22 with Kamara and Luiz infront of the back 4 is a ridiculous good set of options and all under 25. Then we can have Ramsey/McGinn as the attacking midfielder who can also drop in to help out the full back and a more natural wide forward on the other to hopefully be much more consistent than Bailey is.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I watched the game yesterday (before it all kicked off with Vinicius Jr) and had my eye on Ceballos. He's a decent enough ball carrier and smart in possession but didn't rate many of his lay offs around the box, got disposed very easily although Real Madrid had nothing to play for so guys like Benzema weren't on it either.

Would be much more excited with Ugarte coming in as him at 22 with Kamara and Luiz infront of the back 4 is a ridiculous good set of options and all under 25. Then we can have Ramsey/McGinn as the attacking midfielder who can also drop in to help out the full back and a more natural wide forward on the other to hopefully be much more consistent than Bailey is.

if we were to go for Ugarte, we would still need to bring in creativity/goal threat up front, whether that be Williams, Asensio, or whoever, but if we still go in to next season with Watkins, McGinn, Bailey, Buendia and Ramsey as our core attacking/creative options, we would have had a bad transfer window imo.

I would also like Ugarte, but we also badly need a wide forward/winger/AM and a striker, at a minimum.

3 hours ago, TH said:

Ceballos is actually an interesting one, could be quite a smart signing. Good pedigree - Arsenal took him on loan for a second season, plenty of time at Madrid - it’s hard to replace the likes of Modric, Kroos, etc. About to turn 27. Experience in both CL and PL. On a free too. Makes sense?

Might be a replacement for Coutinho?

Err he doesn't really score or assist so that would be a really crap idea to play him behind the striker.

Cabellos on a free seems a no-brainer? Adds a quality squad player, good age and experience for zero cost. There’s a few more quality free transfers out there too: Thuram, Dembele, Asensio

Leaves money in the coffers for others, you could add Pau Torres and Guendouzi for about £60m.

Wages might be an issue but what do I know?

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Cabellos on a free seems a no-brainer? Adds a quality squad player, good age and experience for zero cost. There’s a few more quality free transfers out there too: Thuram, Dembele, Asensio

Leaves money in the coffers for others, you could add Pau Torres and Guendouzi for about £60m.

Wages might be an issue but what do I know?

Wages KILL budgets.

Cabellos, may be a good signing, I am not so sure. We don't need to be adding players on over 5 million a year unless we EXPECT them to be a starter and somewhat of a star player for us, we only turnover about 180m

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

get that It's happening meme going 😉🤣

One season of Messi at Villa. He doesn’t need the money. Go on Leo play football for the fun of it again…..make us your version of Maradona’s Napoli…..😂

Edited by Sulberto21

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even beyond that, I think they'd see us as a direct competitor and probably refuse to sell to us.

Which would make sense to be fair.

Just go for whoever they'd be going for to replace him. Lol

More than a few people said to do that with Brentford 2 years ago...  We've since passed them by...  The same thing will happen with Brighton soon.  Like Swansea, Southampton, Leicester, and Bournemouth before them, playing moneyball flipping players and unearthing gems isn't sustainable and eventually they'll recruit a bad crop of players one season and fall off hard.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Err he doesn't really score or assist so that would be a really crap idea to play him behind the striker.

From his 22/23 heat map he tends to operate on the length side of midfield, so basically where JJ plays or where Dougie drifts.

He hasn’t got any goals this year and only 3 assists.

Compare him to Goncalves for example, 15 goals (6 PK) and 10 assists or the ArsenaL linked Xavi Simons, 17 (2 PK) and 8.

On paper I know which player we need more. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, burchy said:

From his 22/23 heat map he tends to operate on the length side of midfield, so basically where JJ plays or where Dougie drifts.

He hasn’t got any goals this year and only 3 assists.

Compare him to Goncalves for example, 15 goals (6 PK) and 10 assists or the ArsenaL linked Xavi Simons, 17 (2 PK) and 8.

On paper I know which player we need more. 

It's pretty well documented by fairly reliable sources (including Emery) that they're looking for a forward and/or a winger, Ceballos is more in the mould of a Guendouzi that could play either the central or wide midfield positions in this system. He's not really comparable to these players and additionally assist numbers devoid of any context don't really paint the truest picture.

Screenshot_20230523_081333_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, RicRic said:

Ramsey wont be a starter imo , mcginn will be , so just behind ollie on both sides should be new signings going straight in as bailey hasn’t justified starting, yes ramsey has done ok and got a few goals but we can definitely upgrade heavy on him, great option off the bench and start a few games for sure.

Ramsey is 22 in a few days. He is improving every season. Who knows what a break, perhaps an England call up, and a pre-season with a genius will do for him. 

He could come back in August having stepped up again. His stats, at least make him a huge contender for a starting position .

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

get that It's happening meme going 😉🤣

It would be amazing if it happened even one season. 

Side note: same media claiming Dibu was leaving but here he is joking about bringing Messi here

• Like 1