Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I wonder if we would have a chance to sign harvey Barnes and how much he would cost. He reminds me of a young Milner.

No brainer for me

Clubs like Newcastle would be after him though

Edited by Reivax_Villa

For me, of the players that consistently start - Young/Cash, Bailey, Buendia and Ramsey are the ones you could perhaps say are the ones we can improve on. If we go out and improve on those positions, well, with this manager, who even knows.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, supermon said:

Barnes is what I thought Bailey was going to be, albeit on different wings but Barnes was a constant menace. His pace is something that's be so useful for us.

Who knows if Barnes would be able to play the position Bailey is being asked to play though? Bailey looked pretty good for us when playing as a more orthodox winger, the few times he has played there for us (e.g. the Brentford game, and a couple under Smith). He just hasn't been able to play well in the more advanced roles he's been pushed into. It's a very different position, and one that he doesn't really get to use his strengths. You see him further back the pitch and he can dribble past guys easily because there is so much more space. It's way harder to do that in the position he is playing now, which limits his effectiveness. His confidence is obviously shot at the minute which really impacts your ability to score, as we've seen with Watkins and McGinn as well.

I think we'll sign someone to play that position, but I'd be wary of thinking we can just plug in a winger like Nico Williams or Harvey Barnes there and think they can do better. Kolo Muani is obviously out of reach as PSG and Real Madrid will probably be after him, but he's basically the prototype of what we need there I think - a guy who can play wide, but also has the physical attributes to succeed in more condensed areas too. 

Also, if Barnes was as productive against every team as he was against Villa, he'd be up for the Ballon D'Or. There are so many of those players like Long, Ings, JWP, Ihenacho, Barnes that seem to have career days almost any time they play Villa.

Edited by Shaun Teales Moustache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Also, if Barnes was as productive against every team as he was against Villa, he'd be up for the Ballon D'Or. There are so many of those players like Long, Ings, JWP, Ihenacho, Barnes that seem to have career days almost any time they play Villa.

Yeah, this. Don't get me wrong, he impresses me every time I watch him destroy us, but he turns it on against us for whatever reason. I want to buy the guy who plays us, not the guy I occasionally catch in other games wasting chances and frustrating his teammates. He has all the ability, but to be truly top-level needs a lot more consistency. 

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Needless to say, he’ll be given what he wants. I don’t think there will be a huge turnover in players that some do. 

I think we’ll add 3 starters and get rid of as much of the dead wood as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think we’ll add 3 starters and get rid of as much of the dead wood as possible. 

Yep, a RB, a midfielder and someone for the role next to Ollie. Other than that it'll be replacements for any outgoings eg if we manage to sell Olsen

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think there’s even that much dead wood left. Our squad is tiny at the moment, pretty much everyone is getting minutes at some point.

I'd be happy with 2-3 signings TBH. Seems many want 5-6. It's like we live in vacuum and all the "big" clubs marquee signings that either hardly kick a ball or don't amount to much are forgotten. I'm confident from Emery tenure so far he can get a tune out of what he has and calculated additions will be made. I would think Bailey, RB and back up GK the 3 pressing areas

Edited by Kiwivillan

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'd be happy with 2-3 signings TBH. Seems many want 5-6. It's like we live in vacuum and all the "big" clubs marquee signings that either hardly kick a ball or don't amount to much are forgotten. I'm confident from Emery tenure so far he can get a tune out of what he has and calculated additions will be made. I would think Bailey, RB and back up GK the 3 pressing areas

I'd say 2/3 first teamers who can plug and play - maybe even 2 wingers

and then depending on what's available another 2/3 youngsters, back up keeper in his early to mid 20s for example, that would depend on getting all the loanees back in and assessing them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

What ‘deadwood’ are we talking about now? IF we get Europe, and that’s a big if, I think we’ll need pretty much everyone we’ve got now to cope with the number games. Although a keeper upgrade would be a must.

How do you upgrade a World Cup winning keeper and World Goalkeeper of the Year?  Or do you mean upgrade the backup keeper?

12 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

No brainer for me

Clubs like Newcastle would be after him though

Newcastle want Maddison. With Almiron aswell Barnes wouldn't play much.

He's a good player but I get the feeling he isn't as consistent as 2-3 years back even though he's always amazing v us.

Think there's better value abroad.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Newcastle want Maddison. With Almiron aswell Barnes wouldn't play much.

He's a good player but I get the feeling he isn't as consistent as 2-3 years back even though he's always amazing v us.

Think there's better value abroad.

From what I've heard, Barnes is quite inconsistent and we might have an unrealistic view of him as he always seems to turn up against us. That said, Leicester are a basket case at the moment and if he can reach those levels, then who better than Emery to get something out of him regularly? 

• Like 2