Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

...and like Alvarez, we won't be able to sign him either.  He's the biggest prospect in South America and was just capped by the Brazilian senior squad.  Why would he go to Villa for 40k/week when a Champions League club will be in for him and will pay him 100k+/week before he even kicks a ball in anger?  It'll be the same situation as Alvarez...  We'll inquire and make a pitch, but he'll politely turn us down and wait for more money/prestige from someone else.

Exactly, and I wouldn’t believe anybody who says he might see us as getting more game time.  When the elite clubs come knocking, teams like us very rarely get a look in.  These kids dream of playing for clubs like Barca and Madrid.

Taking the Roque links and the fact that it appears we were in for Felix in January it does prove that the level we are aiming at has moved up somewhat, which is great news. 

We’ll get rejected a fair few times but we only need one or two of these calibre of players to sign on the dotted line and we’ll be flying. 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

...and like Alvarez, we won't be able to sign him either.  He's the biggest prospect in South America and was just capped by the Brazilian senior squad.  Why would he go to Villa for 40k/week when a Champions League club will be in for him and will pay him 100k+/week before he even kicks a ball in anger?  It'll be the same situation as Alvarez...  We'll inquire and make a pitch, but he'll politely turn us down and wait for more money/prestige from someone else.

Stark similarities to the Kamara situation here. If memory serves, that went rather well for us.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Stark similarities to the Kamara situation here. If memory serves, that went rather well for us.

Can’t agree, far closer to the Alvarez situation than Kamara!  Moving from the South American leagues is vastly different than the French league for youngsters

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Can’t agree, far closer to the Alvarez situation than Kamara!  Moving from the South American leagues is vastly different than the French league for youngsters

Similarities. Not identical.

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Similarities. Not identical.

Yeah but it’s a huge difference but I hope you are right and it happens in the same way.

Edited by nick76

17 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

They're nothing alike...  It's akin to Villa beating out Madrid and half the clubs in Europe for Martin Odegaard in 2015...

Kamara was a mainstay in a good Marseilles side for 5 seasons and helped get them to the Europa League final.  We apparently offered him more money than other clubs by way of wages and a massive sign on fee, not to mention Gerrard promised to build our entire team around him with him being our key midfielder.  He was statistically one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe and we were willing to pay top dollar for a player who would slot in and improve us immediately.

Roque is 18, only has a year of professional footy under his belt in Brazil, and has just got a call up/cap for Brazil.  Half the clubs in the Premier League as well as all the other top clubs in Europe have met/are meeting with his representatives ahead of a summer move.  There is no way he's ready to be starting on the regular for Villa in the Premier League at this time so spending a huge amount of money on someone so young/inexperienced could destroy us from a FFP perspective if he turns out to be a flop.  It's nice to see we're at least making the attempt, but I would bet money against him coming to Villa.  

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

They're nothing alike...  It's akin to Villa beating out Madrid and half the clubs in Europe for Martin Odegaard in 2015...

Kamara was a mainstay in a good Marseilles side for 5 seasons and helped get them to the Europa League final.  We apparently offered him more money than other clubs by way of wages and a massive sign on fee, not to mention Gerrard promised to build our entire team around him with him being our key midfielder.  He was statistically one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe and we were willing to pay top dollar for a player who would slot in and improve us immediately.

Roque is 18, only has a year of professional footy under his belt in Brazil, and has just got a call up/cap for Brazil.  Half the clubs in the Premier League as well as all the other top clubs in Europe have met/are meeting with his representatives ahead of a summer move.  There is no way he's ready to be starting on the regular for Villa in the Premier League at this time so spending a huge amount of money on someone so young/inexperienced could destroy us from a FFP perspective if he turns out to be a flop.  It's nice to see we're at least making the attempt, but I would bet money against him coming to Villa.  

Zero chance we land him.  If he comes to England it will be one of the 'big 6'.  Could see Arsenal landing him, with Edu and their Brazilian links.

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

I don't know anything about this kid, but we do now have a nice South American core at the club.  It's the kind of thing that could sway a young player to join us instead of the 'elite'.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't know anything about this kid, but we do now have a nice South American core at the club.  It's the kind of thing that could sway a young player to join us instead of the 'elite'.

He's one of the most highly rated young players in Brazil since Vinicius Jr and Neymar, he's not coming here.

• Like 1

A decent keeper as back up for Martinez, Olsen just doesn't give me faith not sure where our younger keepers are in there development (and pray we keep Martinez!)

A quality CB to play alongside Mings I actually think this is a key purchase (DC & EK as back up would give us real strength in depth)

Guendouzi would be great addition to our midfield hoping we keep who we have currently, maybe promote Tim but he will probably need another season elsewhere Dendonker stays until Tim is ready

A quality forward, my preference would be someone that can play across the line (still desperate for Bailey to come good but not sure it will happen)

Just how long can Ashley Young keep going? If he has another year in him I'm fine with him and Cash as the RB options for now, we are also well covered at LB for another season.

Eddie Howe has shown you don't need to spend £500 mil in a window to get great results, we have a top manager give him £150-200 mil and we will push for top 6 we just need to keep hold of a few core players who other teams may be interested in.

• Like 1