Guendouzi    McGinn

Kamara         Dendoncker

Luiz              Iroegbunam 

Moreno        Digne

Mings           Chambers

Carlos          Konsa

New Rb        Young

Martinez      Dubravka

That should do it . A squad that at least in the midfield and attacking position does not pick itself. Youth and experience.  Goalscorers and assisters throughout the squad . 3 villa fans . 4 big personalities that love the club in McGinn Ty and Youngy and Emi. 

If we get some realistic money for Cash Coutinho Bailey Ings Traore Davis and a few of the youth we do not want to keep it would be about a 60 mill net spend. 

Edited by MWARLEY2

23 hours ago, nick76 said:

Just for fun to change the topic, any thoughts, wild links, “wouldn’t surprise me” type feeling on a surprise regular leaving aside from Martinez?

We need to keep Martinez at all costs he seems very happy and only recently had a new contract but he's currently the worlds best goal keeper so maybe a pay rise is in order?

It would not surprise me to see serious interest in, from the first team

• Martinez
  • Kamara
  • Luiz
  • Watkins
  • Ramsey

But all the first team will be on someones radar I guess!

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

...and like Alvarez, we won't be able to sign him either.  He's the biggest prospect in South America and was just capped by the Brazilian senior squad.  Why would he go to Villa for 40k/week when a Champions League club will be in for him and will pay him 100k+/week before he even kicks a ball in anger?  It'll be the same situation as Alvarez...  We'll inquire and make a pitch, but he'll politely turn us down and wait for more money/prestige from someone else.

There are only so many players these teams can sign, regardless of who they are.

Some players actually DO consider minutes, not only in posture ( Like Pogba Junior att Chelsea ) , but in reality.

Alot of these top teams already have " wonderkids " who already either can't get a look in or are out on loan etc 

I'm OBS not saying we have a chance but I'd never say never.

We are a club on the up, our owners have surprised us more than once, I think Nassef is also more powerful than some people realise and is capable of getting result WHEN he really wants something.

In the end, it might not b win our best interests to be paying 40 mill for a " wonderkid " anyway 

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why do people think we’ll get Chelsea players, for me that doesn’t seem to fit in with a the Emery model.

Don't think we necessarily will.  It's just that in order to balance their books for FFP, Chelsea will likely have a fire sale of most of their academy players, like Gallagher, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek etc.  And it's not unreasonable to think teams (including us) might be in for some of them.  The downside is helping Chelsea with their future FFP issues.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

J Ramsey     Buendia

Watkins       Archer 

Brennan J    Duran

Guendouzi    McGinn

Kamara         Dendoncker

Luiz              Iroegbunam 

Moreno        Digne

Mings           Chambers

Carlos          Konsa

New Rb        Young

Martinez      Dubravka

That should do it . A squad that at least in the midfield and attacking position does not pick itself. Youth and experience.  Goalscorers and assisters throughout the squad . 3 villa fans . 4 big personalities that love the club in McGinn Ty and Youngy and Emi. 

If we get some realistic money for Cash Coutinho Bailey Ings Traore Davis and a few of the youth we do not want to keep it would be about a 60 mill net spend. 

While your numbers add up, I would hope we are adding more quality than that.  I think our current team are doing fantastic but would like to see some more quality in the squad than just above.  I’m obviously not thinking elite players but feel we need more quality/options.  I’m also not talking about gutting the squad but just enhancing the quality of the squad a bit more than you have.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don't think we necessarily will.  It's just that in order to balance their books for FFP, Chelsea will likely have a fire sale of most of their academy players, like Gallagher, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek etc.  And it's not unreasonable to think teams (including us) might be in for some of them.  The downside is helping Chelsea with their future FFP issues.

I can’t see Chelsea not having FFP issues in the future.  Any new manager will want some of their own players in, they need a new striker.  They are going to have to take hits on some of their players that they are amortising but when they sell for low than that value will hit the accounts and they won’t be in the CL and probably not even Europe.  Us, or anybody, pinching a few players isn’t help too much.  

Amortisation over a long period is great initially but it will really hamper them over the longer term if revenue dips and without CL it will along with paying for large managers fees and severances along with selling long term contracts early getting an accounts loss.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

...and like Alvarez, we won't be able to sign him either.  He's the biggest prospect in South America and was just capped by the Brazilian senior squad.  Why would he go to Villa for 40k/week when a Champions League club will be in for him and will pay him 100k+/week before he even kicks a ball in anger?  It'll be the same situation as Alvarez...  We'll inquire and make a pitch, but he'll politely turn us down and wait for more money/prestige from someone else.

Why wouldn't we pay £100k a week, to make it happen? I would send Coutinho and Douglas over to persuade him that he would get games here, rather than sit on a bench elsewhere next season and if that didn't work, call Mile Jedinak in (who would be waiting outside in the car, with the engine running) to make him an offer he can't refuse! :D

7 minutes ago, John said:

Why wouldn't we pay £100k a week, to make it happen? I would send Coutinho and Douglas over to persuade him that he would get games here, rather than sit on a bench elsewhere next season and if that didn't work, call Mile Jedinak in (who would be waiting outside in the car, with the engine running) to make him an offer he can't refuse! :D

Because £100k/week to Villa and £100k/week to someone like Man City/Chelsea are two different things considering FFP.  Those clubs make around £4.5-£5 million/week more than Villa in revenue over the course of a season and can afford to spend that much more than us on wages and still be compliant with both Premier League and UEFA FFP restrictions.  We probably can only afford another £200k/week in wages total on the books right now and still be complaint.  Spending half that on a moonshot doesn't make sense.    

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

While your numbers add up, I would hope we are adding more quality than that.  I think our current team are doing fantastic but would like to see some more quality in the squad than just above.  I’m obviously not thinking elite players but feel we need more quality/options.  I’m also not talking about gutting the squad but just enhancing the quality of the squad a bit more than you have.

Someone like Brennan Johnson would be 45 mill. And Guendouzi say 35 mill. If we can then add a right back for 25 mill and a new back up gk  then with the jan spending as well it will be nearly 140 mill outlay. 

I think bringing in 3 new first teamers would be a good balance. Great, if we have more money then a top class cb to challenge Carlos and Mings would suit but spending 25 mill on one would be pretty pointless. Ben Godfrey was that much i think.

At the moment though if we were to do the above we would be breaking our overall transfer record twice and our prevous rightback record . Its big backing for Unai

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Someone like Brennan Johnson would be 45 mill. And Guendouzi say 35 mill. If we can then add a right back for 25 mill and a new back up gk  then with the jan spending as well it will be nearly 140 mill outlay. 

I think bringing in 3 new first teamers would be a good balance. Great, if we have more money then a top class cb to challenge Carlos and Mings would suit but spending 25 mill on one would be pretty pointless. Ben Godfrey was that much i think.

At the moment though if we were to do the above we would be breaking our overall transfer record twice and our prevous rightback record . Its big backing for Unai

Not every quality addition is going to be big money just like Kamara.  I’m also not convinced we’ll spend on a new first choice RB, it might be a back up to Cash.  I expect some quality additions from Europe at cheaper prices and I don’t expect us to be interested in Johnson at the figures it would be, I would think Emery would be looking at European equivalent, which would also be cheaper hence Emery will likely bring in more quality from Europe which generally don’t cost as much.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Because £100k/week to Villa and £100k/week to someone like Man City/Chelsea are two different things considering FFP.  Those clubs make around £4.5-£5 million/week more than Villa in revenue over the course of a season and can afford to spend that much more than us on wages and still be compliant with both Premier League and UEFA FFP restrictions.  We probably can only afford another £200k/week in wages total on the books right now and still be complaint.  Spending half that on a moonshot doesn't make sense.    

I know where you are coming from, but as Manc Citeh, Chelsea and a few others say, enough with FFP already...  Financial Fairplay (@FinancialFairpl) / Twitter ;)

We need to be at the point of quality over quantity. The days of buying half a new team every window must end. We need to be in the position where you are buying a player that pushes existing established starters and if they don't cope, to the bench.

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, John said:

I know where you are coming from, but as Manc Citeh, Chelsea and a few others say, enough with FFP already...  Financial Fairplay (@FinancialFairpl) / Twitter ;)

Easy to say when it isn't your money...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We need to be at the point of quality over quantity. The days of buying half a new team every window must end. We need to be in the position where you are buying a player that pushes existing established starters and if they don't cope, to the bench.

I think we're there now.

If we sign two starting players of the level of Kamara, we can compete for the top 6 next season. Three would put a bit of pressure on to not finish outside the top half.

If we were to carry on as we are, when it comes to CM I’m not entirely surely what we would need? I certainly don’t see where Guendouzi would fit in, unless one of Kamara or Luiz were to leave. I think we need wingers and a RB, and that is probably about it… possibly a CB to compete as a four, but not essential. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tayls said:

If we were to carry on as we are, when it comes to CM I’m not entirely surely what we would need? I certainly don’t see where Guendouzi would fit in, unless one of Kamara or Luiz were to leave. I think we need wingers and a RB, and that is probably about it… possibly a CB to compete as a four, but not essential. 

This is what I've been thinking about as well. We're pretty strong everywhere.

I suppose the obvious positions are the second striker and the 10s.

If we have Ramsey, McGinn and Buendia all competing for one spot, that's very very strong.

McGinn and Ramsey can keep working at filling in at DM as well.

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

It would not surprise me to see serious interest in, from the first team

• Martinez
  • Kamara
  • Luiz
  • Watkins
  • Ramsey

But all the first team will be on someones radar I guess!

I have serious interest in

• Salma Hayek

• Shakira

• Carol Vorderman

• Angela Bassett

• Helen Mirren

But equally have as much chance of prying them away from their spouses ( Many spouses in Carols case ) or getting them.

( Yes it's a Vintage Vagege kind of list - Don't judge me )

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2