Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, wict01 said:

Recency bias perhaps after yesterday but I've always loved Benrahma as a player since our championship days, I wish we'd gone for him in the summer after promotion too so I'd try to prise him out of West Ham whether they stay up or not. Would fit the wide left space for us perfectly I think, he has more quality than he has been able to show in a Moyes setup. 

I thought Benrahma was a bit wasteful tbh.  If our wingers blazed the ball over the bar that much we would have been giving them stick for it.  It shows how difficult signing wide forwards is as the PL is littered with £20m-35m wide players who don't provide quality on a regular enough basis.  It's not just Bailey and Buendia.  I trust Emery to get the right player for what he wants in, it may well turn out to be someone a bit more experienced and cheaper like Deolufeu.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Benrahma was poor yesterday when he got into attacking positions. His set pieces weren't much better

His finishing is indeed poor and the fact that he embarrassed Cash so often, especially on crosses demonstrates the need to improve in that area. Benrahma isn’t the solution, but we cannot give teams that much freedom out wide. 

• Like 1

It would be more value to take a punt on a few young wingers instead of bombing out the bank for a Nico Williams. I know that's the desire for a lot of people, but wingers are notoriously mercurial unless you're absolutely elite. It feels like only yesterday VT was clamoring for Rashica and look how he's ended up. Benrahma was wanted by VT and tore apart Cash but for all that, he has 7 G+A versus Bailey's 6 G+A so far and his underlying numbers are not much better than Bailey's either.

Looking at the top of the table, most of their wingers are academy (Grealish and Antony side) besides Spurs

Edited by DJBOB

Take all the points re Benrahma, perfectly valid. I know we tend to play with Moreno pushing up and Cash a little more reserved at the moment but I do think we've lacked a property right-footed left-sided player since He Who Shall Not Be Named left us for the bright lights and dollar signs of Manchester. 

57 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think we should be spending £150m on the players. We aren't at that point yet, we aren't gunning for top 6 yet. Emery has a good eye for bringing through younger talent and it looks like we've got over our brain fart Gerrard era transfer policy with the Duràn signing and selling Ings. If we spend £100m on five outstanding young players to add to what we have that have great resale value and can take us forward I'll be ecstatic. I'd actually be worried if we go for 2 or 3 big names at huge prices.

The challenge we face is the time pressure on our situation.  If we want to keep Kamara, Luiz, and Martinez, and also make the most of Martinez's best years as a keeper,  we need the players that will push us on quickly. 

Otherwise all three of these are looking elsewhere and we're back to square one, with unproven youngsters hoping we gambled on them correctly and they push us on further than the aging crop that we were forced to sell.

Add in to the mix that the future of FFP is up in the air, and its likely to change in the next couple of years. We can also be damn sure that whatever comes in will benefit those already in Europe more.

If ever I was confident about us spending 150m and getting the right kind of players, now would be the time. The quicker Emery gets them in,  the longer he has to work with them, the better our long term future is going to be.

Trying to build slowly (too slowly) is going to see us lose the best players we have, and not actually progress, unless we fluke our way to 6 Duran-esque signings that all make their way to the world's elite at the same time. Its a gamble either way, but feels less risky to go big now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think we should be spending £150m on the players. We aren't at that point yet, we aren't gunning for top 6 yet. Emery has a good eye for bringing through younger talent and it looks like we've got over our brain fart Gerrard era transfer policy with the Duràn signing and selling Ings. If we spend £100m on five outstanding young players to add to what we have that have great resale value and can take us forward I'll be ecstatic. I'd actually be worried if we go for 2 or 3 big names at huge prices.

I agree, I think we should be spending more if possible. I think UE will be looking seriously for European qualification next season. Top six may well be a step up of only around 3 or 4 places, on where we finish this season, so I think the aim for us will be 7th - 5th. With the right signings that should be possible and I think the signing of 3 - 4 quality players for around £40m-£50m each, would be the way to go. The more you pay the more likely they will be to make a difference, in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Thing is, Bowen isn’t even that quick/good. It surely can’t be that hard to find somebody like him? 

Bowen and Kuluevski (?) are the best left footed right wingers/ wide forwards in the league and they aren’t particularly quick. But both are technically and tactically very very very good. 

34 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We've:

• a manager with an incredible track record of qualifying for and the performing in European competition
  • a squad under this manager currently performing at a level that over a full season next year whould almost guarantee top 6
  • 2-3 positions ripe for improvement in the first XI, while I think more positions than not look pretty set for a number of seasons given the abilty/age/cost/contract combo in them
  • a pretty strong focus of youth development and aquisitions, some of whom may well be pushing for first team places by next season
  • 23/24 being the last season for which the assessment period for FFP includes the just published highly favourable "Grealish" accounts of 21/22, after which we likely need to have greatly increased revenue (via euro qualification) or generate similar sales profits to 21/22 again
  • had messaging from the club that Emery will be heavily backed this summer, so would appear that the club are comforable with increased spending this summer
  • a Newcastle side that will be looking to consolidate presumably whatever European qualification they make this season

Obviously, if we can spend as little as possible to bring in players that can immediately improve our first XI and have a long term impact as well that would be perfect. But realistically, unless they are on the tail end of a contract, I think we are looking at the £40-50M mark at least for any player that could walk into our first XI and be the right side of their peak. Guendouzi and Nico Williams are names that came up in Jan. They perhaps fit these requirements. I wouldn''t call them big names particularly. And I'm pretty sure the prices being reported for either of them were at least £40M-50M.

I'm not sure spending all our budget on 5 more Durans, who might not be of the level required for another season or two, if ever, would be the right approach this summer at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The challenge we face is the time pressure on our situation.  If we want to keep Kamara, Luiz, and Martinez, and also make the most of Martinez's best years as a keeper,  we need the players that will push us on quickly. 

Otherwise all three of these are looking elsewhere and we're back to square one, with unproven youngsters hoping we gambled on them correctly and they push us on further than the aging crop that we were forced to sell.

Add in to the mix that the future of FFP is up in the air, and its likely to change in the next couple of years. We can also be damn sure that whatever comes in will benefit those already in Europe more.

If ever I was confident about us spending 150m and getting the right kind of players, now would be the time. The quicker Emery gets them in,  the longer he has to work with them, the better our long term future is going to be.

Trying to build slowly (too slowly) is going to see us lose the best players we have, and not actually progress, unless we fluke our way to 6 Duran-esque signings that all make their way to the world's elite at the same time. Its a gamble either way, but feels less risky to go big now.

Yep this is a pretty major point I missed from my post just now. We really need to retain that core for as long as possible.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Bowen and Kuluevski (?) are the best left footed right wingers/ wide forwards in the league and they aren’t particularly quick. But both are technically and tactically very very very good. 

Salah and Saka would disagree with that assessment 😝

These are the positions we need to sign a player for. Thats circa £150m and we can probably get around £30m back from offloading 

New RB (Replace Cash) - £30m

New CM - £35m

New CF/RW (Replace Bailey) £42m 

New GK (Replace Olsen) £20m 

New LW - £25m 

Edited by RicRic

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why are some posters fawning over some West Ham players whom we won’t be signing - nor should we ever entertain signing ? 

tbf i would take Bowen, but yeah, wont happen so ur right on that point.

20 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why are some posters fawning over some West Ham players whom we won’t be signing - nor should we ever entertain signing ? 

Nobody is fawning over them, I wouldn't want any of them. Just saying Bowen is better than Benrahma (in a low class competition) 😆

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

These are the positions we need to sign a player for. Thats circa £150m and we can probably get around £30m back from offloading 

New RB (Replace Cash) - £30m

New CM - £35m

New CF/RW (Replace Bailey) £42m 

New GK (Replace Olsen) £20m 

New LW - £25m 

No need for a 20m back up keeper. Get someone who's 37 and happy to play in cups. 

Invest that in the CM position.