Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/23 at 23:59

20 minutes ago, jim said:

Young does exactly what he should do, covers his GK. Blame Konsa and Mings if you like but Young goes to Perisic then it’s a goal as he was the last line. 

So when Perisic runs behind Konsa and Mings Young shouldn't say anything? The first thing he did was the wrong thing. He plays Perisic onside and lets him go free.

• Like 1

OK ... the official match report from the southern middle of nowhere in British Columbia

Referee .. distinctly average, missed stuff both ways, and if I were a Spurs fan I might feel aggrieved.

Emery ... finally has worked out what Villa was doing wrong. Letting in goals and not scoring enough. Did a great job today. Subs were interesting, it worked so I am not knocking.

Olsen: a few wobbly moments but played really well otherwise
Young: saved Olsen once (that is his job). Doing the captainey job in the background. Amazing player.
Konsa: Solid game ... seemed a little emotional, but that is OK.
Mings: Solid game as well. Doing Captainey stuff in the background as well. Kept Kane relatively quiet.
Digne: An effective shift 
Luiz and Kamara: Sublime
McGinn: That pass! I forgive all his past and future indiscretion's. Good game overall 
Bailey: Not bad, but a relatively quiet night
Beundia: A really good game I thought. All his hustle and energy really paid off tonight.
Watkins:  Similarly for Watkins, love the hustle and finding his teammates.

Subs ... Not really a lot of time  to evaluate but:
Cash: interesting sub, but I thought he looked bright.
Coutinho: Don't know, but I thought I saw hints of an Olsen-like raising of the Titanic.
Bednarek and Chambers: They were OK 
Ings: Forgot Ings and that is a tale in-of-itself ... not bad seems like he needs time to get into the game.
Overall an excellent team performance.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Pre match all the tourist fans were giving it large, little old Villa were lambs to the slaughter apparently.

Post match walking past the Bill Nicholson pub an idiot Spurs fan thought it would be funny to lob his pint at a group of us as we walked back to our cars. He hit a copper standing in the road. Summed up their teams performance.

Brilliant, I love this.

It's so satisfying to win away to Spurs and hold them no goals and few chances and completely stifle their two best players and shut their fans up and send them to the exits with 8 minutes to play. Fantastic start to the new year!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pelle said:

So when Perisic runs behind Konsa and Mings Young shouldn't say anything? The first thing he did was the wrong thing. He plays Perisic onside and lets him go free.

Think we've seen this a few times, he does have to drop off a bit to give himself the time as he doesn't have the speed he once did.

This is the moment. Once the attack develops, he does brilliantly to cover the goalline as Olsen closes down, and then being disciplined enough to stay there as it comes across, but yeah, it's offside and never comes to anything if he holds the line.

WXmHIl0.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim said:

How so when Young was playing rb and the attack came from the left?

Olsen got pulled way too far off his line leaving the goal exposed. Had that gone in he would have been lambasted for it.

FWIW I like Olsen and some of the criticism has been OTT, but that wasn’t some amazing GK performance that justified the Martinez decision. Spurs were shite and didn’t have a shot in the second half.

Commentator praised Olsen for playing Perisic wide but you see what you want to see

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Think we've seen this a few times, he does have to drop off a bit to give himself the time as he doesn't have the speed he once did.

This is the moment. Once the attack develops, he does brilliantly to cover the goalline as Olsen closes down, and then being disciplined enough to stay there as it comes across, but yeah, it's offside and never comes to anything if he holds the line.

WXmHIl0.png

Yeah, Young was miles off the defensive line, playing all the attackers onside. 

Did brilliantly to correct his own error.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Yeah, Young was miles off the defensive line, playing all the attackers onside. 

Did brilliantly to correct his own error.

I might be wrong, but from that picture it looks like they Perisic was onside even if Young was in the right place - so he did brilliantly to spot the run and do what he did.

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

I might be wrong, but from that picture it looks like they Perisic was onside even if Young was in the right place - so he did brilliantly to spot the run and do what he did.

Keep in mind that's one I've just capped as best as I can from highlights. the pass hasn't been played yet, it's a fraction of a second from the pass, and Perisic is running further behind the line. Tight call but it'd have been off I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

The commentators did my head in.

KANE GETS A FOUL: "Such a clever player, uses his body there to draw the foul"

McGIN DOES THE EXACT SAME THING: "Such a soft foul to give, he was looking for that"

Anyway, great game. Well done Villa and well done Emery! Thank you for rescuing us. 

It all pisses me off. As the second half got underway on sky they asked Redknapp what he'd like to see in the second half. He said, "a moment of magic from Kane or Son." I get that he's ex spurs but why the need to say that. Why is that better to broadcast than have someone say that of Buendia or Watkins. Its such an unnecessary bias. Have someone like Ian Taylor go on it to say, "well I'd like to see Romero sent off at the start of the second half, which would be deserving."

While I'm here, the title of the match highlights on sky is 'Villa in SHOCK win at Spurs.' We've won two out of the last three games we've played at Spurs.

Next year, we beat them there again to make it three wins out of four, it'll be, 'Villa in unfathomable victory at Spurs,"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

My favourite moment of the day was at half time when Redknapp mentioned the game was crying out for a bit of magic. Then proceeded to mention from Kane or Son. So glad them moments of magic came from Buendia and Luiz instead  just to shove it up that melt. 

Haha! Glad you picked up on that too.

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

WXmHIl0.png

The back 6 (I assume McGinn is off camera here) looks so stable, going to be really hard for teams to break that down once it’s a well oiled system. And will be even more effective when we have attacking players that can break effectively on the counter.

Happy New Year to all on VillaTalk.

A great start to 2023 and a fine team performance. 

Outstanding work from Douglas & Kamara in the centre of the pitch. This has the potential to be one of our best midfield pairings for years (past & future). Ashley Young and Mings were also very good with solid performances all across the pitch. A shoutout for Olsen as many of us feared the worst. 

The team is starting to look well drilled, so we are beginning to see the work of Unai and his coaching team.

Definitely a game of two halves. I couldn't work out at halftime if I would have been happy with a boring nil-nil or not. Having taking the sting out of Spurs, its funny how games turn on fine margins. Amazing how a mistake by Lloris turned the game on its head. Maybe Unai was right all along by giving Emi extra time to recover.

Great result and something to build on in January. The expectation for the next few games is building

UTV

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

The team is starting to look well drilled, so we are beginning to see the work of Unai and his coaching team.

Definitely a game of two halves.

Essentially ... "sorta" agree. The first half playing more out of the back (did not look particularly attractive) and our front three wearing the Spurs' defence down a bit. Second half, a lot less possession but being more direct when we had the ball. I thought we looked a lot better playing this type of football.

F**k you BBC. Spurs players being dirty words removed and the only yellow card you show is Mings when Kane kicks him and falls over feigning injury. Utter c**ts. Also showing that spurrrrssss had good second half chances when truth is they were utter shit and we controlled that second half superbly

Â