VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

Sad new about Perry. Well known he had some demons. 

I kind of went off him a bit after his quote about Keanu Reeves in his book. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Didnt it happen to a keeper in the NHL in the 90s but he just about survived

pretty sure it's happened a few times...still very uncommon but those skates are super sharp

edit: and of course the incident has been shared on twitter a gazillion times...wonder what action will be taken on the player that did it? looked very deliberate to me. horrible way to go

Edited by tomav84

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

pretty sure it's happened a few times...still very uncommon but those skates are super sharp

edit: and of course the incident has been shared on twitter a gazillion times...wonder what action will be taken on the player that did it? looked very deliberate to me. horrible way to go

Just seen it, awful. I assumed when it said freak accident and people were talking about a neck it would be a broken neck.

The raised foot of the opponent looked very bad, it’s hard to see why it’s up so high but I don’t follow the sport. A horrific way to go as I imagine he had a minute or 2 to realise he was in major trouble before blacking out and dying from blood loss.

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Magician David Berglas has died. Not a name known to younger readers I suspect but in the 70s although not as famous as Paul Daniels, was certainly well known. 

Rings no bells. Googling 'famous magicians' gives a long list of names, and he's not on it. The main one I remember before Daniels was David Nixon. 

• Like 1

Berglas is best known for the card trick 'any card at any number' which got dubbed the Berglas effect and is considered the holy grail of card tricks.

Most of his career he was basically doing the stuff Derren Brown was doing early on, mentalism, but he was the first guy to do it at the advent of TV, and he was bloody good at it. He would do things like getting 2 nurses on stage to monitor his pulse at each wrist and mime the beat to the audience, and then start to manipulate his pulse so one arm would be beating fast and the other not beat at all, with the nurses looking very confused.

8 minutes ago, Jon said:

Wikipedia describes him as a 'mentalist' 🤣

Yes, it's a type of magic, mostly focused on seemingly supernatural abilities like telekinesis, mind reading and hypnosis, and tends to lean towards presenting the trick as something more than a magic trick. The morally poor ones used to portray it as being true super powers or their actually being psychic, more recently performers have pushed towards them being very skilled psychological manipulators.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Rings no bells. Googling 'famous magicians' gives a long list of names, and he's not on it. The main one I remember before Daniels was David Nixon. 

First magician to have his own show on British TV apparently. 

20 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Missed one last week.

Frank Borman, Commander of Apollo 8 and thus part of the first crew to orbit around the Moon.

Borman, Lovell and Anders. Still an automatic word association for me. 

• Like 1