VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

2 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

For those of us old enough to remember the likely lads....Sunday evening ritual in our house :

What I found odd was the initial headline on the BBC mentioned Open All Hours, when surely it's this that first springs to mind. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

What I found odd was the initial headline on the BBC mentioned Open All Hours, when surely it's this that first springs to mind. 

It's the most recent thing she did is all. And in twice as many episodes sadly. 

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

For those of us old enough to remember the likely lads....Sunday evening ritual in our house :

Blimey - my dad would get the slide projector out of the loft twice a year.

Watching that I could smell our old house 😲

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Seat68 said:

"Whatever Happened To..." is one of the very rare cases where a sequel actually surpassed a brilliant original series. The introduction of a female character to disrupt the bro dynamic was inspired - and a scenario that I'm sure rang true for many viewers. 

"Men Behaving Badly" essentially updated the idea for the 1990s. 

• Like 3

Having not watched the original series, I’d assumed that Thelma was a regular character as in “Whatever happened to…” there is regular mention to hers and Bob’s childhood sweetheart past. I think in Terry’s best man speech he literally states that she’s as much a part of their friendship history as the two guys.

A little look suggests she does appear in the original run, and is referenced but it’s more fleeting so maybe there was a touch of retrofitting the character to suit the later series.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

A little look suggests she does appear in the original run, and is referenced but it’s more fleeting so maybe there was a touch of retrofitting the character to suit the later series.

Yeah, she was there as a casual girlfriend, but once she became a wife in the later series, the entire Bob/Terry friendship was fatally changed. 

We've all been there. 🤣

• Like 1

Don't know if this should be in this thread or music but - Danny Laine has died. Many will be too young to remember this guy but he was the original guitar/vocalist with The Moody Blues. Came from Tysley and for a short while , worked in Rackhams in Corporation Street. With him in the band , The moody Blues were a "proper" R & B band, rivalling Spencer Davis but I thought they became watered down when he left and ended up in "Wings". For guitar enthusiasts , he used to play a green Gretsch - quite rare now I believe. Also wrote a great number , "Say You Don't mind". which was a minor hit for Colin Blunstone. Suffer badly from having no drums on it :)

Edited by veloman

1 minute ago, veloman said:

Don't know if this should be in this thread or music but - Danny Laine has died. Many will be too young to remember this guy but he was the original guitar/vocalist with The Moody Blues. Came from Tysley and for a short while , worked in Rackhams in Corporation Street. With him in the band , The moody Blues were a "proper" R & B band, rivalling Spencer Davis but I thought they beacme watered down when he left and ended up in "Wings". For guitar enthusiasts , he used to play a green Gretsch - quite rare now I believe. Also wrote a great number , "Say You Don't mind".

Did he drink in town ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Denny Laine dying is really quite sad for me. Love Wings and his contribution was, in my opinion, huge. 

Really? I could never see what the point of him was in Wings. Anonymous rhythm guitar and backing vocals. Seemed like a big comedown from being the frontman in the Moodies. I assume he got well paid so didn't mind. 

Then again I'm no expert in Wings albums beyond Band on the Run. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Really? I could never see what the point of him was in Wings. Anonymous rhythm guitar and backing vocals. Seemed like a big comedown from being the frontman in the Moodies. I assume he got well paid so didn't mind. 

yeah , what we need is VT's biggest Wings fan and expert  to offer his opinion  ... step forward @bickster

Edited by tonyh29

31 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah , what we need is VT's biggest Wings fan and expert  to offer his opinion  ... step forward @bickster

He co-wrote the dirge Dull of Kintyre. 
The defence might as well rest right now.

Even Israel and Hamas between them couldn’t commit a more heinous crime.

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Post Beatles, I think the Wings output is the strongest of McCartneys career, I hear the contribution from Laine and I think he adds to it. I really enjoy his cowrites, and even his vocals. London Town is all the better for McCartney allowing Denny Laine room. I dont really know too much by The Moody Blues so can't say it was a come down or not.

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Post Beatles, I think the Wings output is the strongest of McCartneys career, I hear the contribution from Laine and I think he adds to it. I really enjoy his cowrites, and even his vocals. London Town is all the better for McCartney allowing Denny Laine room. I dont really know too much by The Moody Blues so can't say it was a come down or not.

I can only assume you've forgotten about The Frog Chorus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1