Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/22 at 23:59

4 hours ago, Zero7 said:

We just lacked intensity today, got to move the ball quicker. 

That was my main take away - we lacked any urgency. Not sure if we were trying to slow it down or what, but we just played into their hands time and again.

Also, while Young was decent I think we missed Cash as the only defender we have with enough pace to get back to cover their counters.

• Like 1

Whilst we played some good football at times.....

There was also, some ghosts of the past, in that performance.

Trent was given the freedom of the park, to plant bombs where ever he liked.....That has been so like us, in the past.

and the balls over the top🙄

I'll get my coat.

11 minutes ago, Ponky said:

That was my main take away - we lacked any urgency. Not sure if we were trying to slow it down or what, but we just played into their hands time and again.

Also, while Young was decent I think we missed Cash as the only defender we have with enough pace to get back to cover their counters.

After defeats like that....we always seem to be missing somebody.

we have to stop making excuses.

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

Couldn't make the game, excuse was it was my daughter's 30th birthday...

It does seem though that the difference was they took their chances and we could not convert ours...

Well Darwin Nunez missed a couple big ones as well so not the whole story.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think UE has a choice, he has to strengthen this 11

How long before we lose him....we have to do better than that, else we will lose him.

Buendia is not effective, or consistent enough.

I am not as convinced with this performance as some Fans, seem to be.....I just saw some stuff, I have been watching for some time.

I don't think we can coach our way out of some of these players......I think it needs surgery.

I wasn't convinced either. Yes we played well in parts of the game particularly 25 minutes after the interval but we were already 2-0 down and chasing the game. 

Don't get me wrong, we obviously created some chances and if we were more clinical it may have been a different outcome but they (Nunez) wasted several chances too and this wasn't the same Liverpool side as 3 years ago when they were sweeping past all and sundry, this is a team that have lost to Leeds and Forest this season! So I think this one was a chance wasted! We miss some steel and nastiness! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I wasn't convinced either. Yes we played well in parts of the game particularly 25 minutes after the interval but we were already 2-0 down and chasing the game. 

Don't get me wrong, we obviously created some chances and if we were more clinical it may have been a different outcome but they (Nunez) wasted several chances too and this wasn't the same Liverpool side as 3 years ago when they were sweeping past all and sundry, this is a team that have lost to Leeds and Forest this season! So I think this one was a chance wasted! We miss some steel and nastiness! 

We miss many things...this team is too samey.

It was highlighted by the high line, our defenders was simply out paced, in getting back, balls over the top, was like "Shots in"......also, their big men simply created chaos at set pieces....It is naive at best.

same ole story, as far as I was concerned....even after weeks together.....same old.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Couldn't make the game, excuse was it was my daughter's 30th birthday...

It does seem though that the difference was they took their chances and we could not convert ours...

That was the main part of the story......but there were still faults of old.

12 hours ago, villa89 said:

Far from it. We're miles ahead of where we were under slippy G. We actually resemble a team now and will comfortably finish in mid table instead of battling relegation 

I suppose your right.

Thought we played ok and at least we didn’t sit back and just take a 2-0 loss like we may have done in recent years. If we want to improve you have to go for a win in most games regardless of the opposition.

Were still one quality player short in all 3 areas of the pitch, obviously the keeper today as well but that was just one game.

Nobody likes to lose a game but this was an acceptable loss for me as we actually had a go at them and on another day could have bad 2-3 goals. Have to just take this one on the chin unfortunately.

• Like 1

I thought our general play was pretty good overall, sure Liverpool had a couple of good spell but so did we. Where did we lose it? Sounds obvious, both penalty boxes. If we're more assertive and more committed in our own box then we don't concede the 2nd and 3rd goal. Likewise down the other end, if we're a bit more assertive and a bit more committed, we could have won that. We're a work in progress but I do like what I'm seeing.

Playing the high line was playing to Liverpools strengths, they always had the better attack force than us and with Ramsey missing that energy in the middle was lacking. Luiz was a passenger in the game and Buendia and bailey were just out muscled, Seems the old excuse was rolled out after the game, we are still learning the managers way of playing, sounds familiar from the last two managers and responsibility removed from poor players. We were outgunned in a pistol fight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This is different ways of saying the same thing.

Not really. The creation of chances means a system is working. Not taking chances doesn't mean a system is not working. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He was lucky he scored that goal else he would have gotten far worse pelters on here.

If he scores earlier the whole game changes, those are the fine margins.

You can't be a 1 in 5 striker in this league, and hope to get your team to Europe. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

It was highlighted by the high line, our defenders was simply out paced, in getting back, balls over the top, was like "Shots in"......also, their big men simply created chaos at set pieces....It is naive at best.

same ole story, as far as I was concerned....even after weeks together.....same old.

There's no manager in world football we could appoint who'd get us unbeaten for 25 games. We'll lose a few more games like this under Unai but it's how we react that's the key.

I was more disappointed in losing at Man. United in the cup than last night and yet we went down to Brighton 60 hours later and dug out a really good away win.

A point at Spurs and then beating Wolves would be an excellent response. 

Certainly if Wolves are turning us over and it takes until 85th minute to make the first sub then I will start asking questions.

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

There's no manager in world football we could appoint who'd get us unbeaten for 25 games. We'll lose a few more games like this under Unai but it's how we react that's the key.

I was more disappointed in losing at Man. United in the cup than last night and yet we went down to Brighton 60 hours later and dug out a really good away win.

A point at Spurs and then beating Wolves would be an excellent response. 

Certainly if Wolves are turning us over and it takes until 85th minute to make the first sub then I will start asking questions.

I agree.

I saw so many issues, yesterday, reminiscent of the away day at Manchester in the cup.....sure we tightened up against Brighton, but then went back to type against Liverpool.

We was far too open, went toe to toe, and played them in to the game....It was a dream ticket for them.

specific points in the game all too familiar with the past, with different managers.

I am not blaming the manager/s carte Blanche........ the shape of the team needs re-jigging.....In order to execute the managers game plan.

I don't see us moving forward, without buying the right players to do so.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Straight on the manager's back?

Thought so.

Bring back Stevie G. He was a good player after all.

• Like 2

What was plain to see against pool was the lack of a leader and sometimes you have to wonder does the manager set up to expose the shortfalls in our defence. We do not have a good centre back on the park at the moment and therefore we are torn apart by speedy opposition and easy tactics mix that with a lack lustre midfield and a non producing attack force the only answer is new players. Faster, stronger, aggressive and mentally stronger team players please Mr Emery who would rather fight for the cause rather than submit to feeling sorry for themselves.

• Like 1

Â