Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/22 at 23:59

8 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not brilliant, not terrible.

Buendia disappointing yet again. I just never see this brilliant player that some others do.

Yep...Buendia terrible, Luiz not much better! Kamara easily MOTM

7 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Deserved a draw I thought

their second goal shouldn’t have counted

Ref was dreadful

emerys jacket warrants discussion 

I thought Unai's jacket was quite nice.

Such an underrated point. It should be included in the poll.

• Like 1

Liverpool got the rub of the decisions. We showed more fight in the second, but you can’t gift so many chances to such quality nor waste so many chances. Emi makes a big difference in goal and his presences lifts the defence. Konsa badly needs competition from Diego or another centre back. A few additions and with some clinical quality we are a much better outfit. A really frustrating performance with moments of good. 

Same old same old, give you hope then ultimately blow it.

Always say I don't mind losing if we play well, do the basics, not concede silly goals etc etc.. but that wasn't the case tonight and I really believe they were there for the taking if IF we had put in a better performance and not carried 7 or 8 players. 

Voted Kamara MOTM, Mings was going to be my choice but then he does the crap loose ball that led to the third (killer) goal. Typical of him really. Plays well for 89 minutes but you just know there's a mistake in there.

Anyway, no point ranting over Mings, he was miles better than Konsa who was given the run around by Andy Carroll, sorry Nunez. 

Digne getting megged by the 9yr old summed his game, probably the worst player on the pitch. Though Bailey might have something to say about that. 

We're a decent side WHEN THINGS ARE GOING FOR US, but we look so weak at times, too many not strong enough on the ball and when you have a BIG 6 favouring ref then you gotta do more. I'm looking at you three in particular Luiz, Digne, Buendia. 

The high line looked suspect but we looked dangerous going the other way, shame we had our own Andy Carroll. 

I kinda understand the no subs as we were on top BUT ultimately we lost and it didn't pay off - and Emi and Leon were looking well off it, so fault at the manager for that. 

3 terrible goals to concede, Digne should be putting the first for a throw. Second one was a run from Ox ? I think, easily past 2 or 3 tackles, next thing, corner, deflection, of course, goal. And mistakes for the last, Mings, Konsa and Olsen (slightly harsh) but all so avoidable.

No shame in losing to Liverpool, but this one is frustrating as I've known.

🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

Can't be too upset when the result is what you thought it might be before the start of the match. Also, to be fair... Liverpool has players on it's bench that could start for us. Let's move on to next match because today's second half gives me a lot of optimism that Emery's first few matches with us weren't a fluke. 

• Like 1

Expected a defeat. 

Liverpool are a better team, no shame in admitting that. 

Going to take Emery time to rid us of the soft underbelly. Give the man what he needs in January. 

• Like 3

A frustrating game and I was honestly pleasantly surprised we scored because it just had One of Those Days written all over it. Some enjoyable stuff in the second half and scattered throughout the first and I can't say I regretted watching it unlike a lot of our games earlier this year.

Kamara is a really clever, tidy player. Mings had a good game after an early injury scare where he looked properly in agony initially. Felt bad for Buendia who was working his arse off to try and take hold of the game and it just wasn't sticking. Watkins and Darwin Nunez both appeared to be collaborating on some kind of bizarre and horrific tribute act to the recent work of Lautaro Martinez in the first half, but glad Watkins got on the scoresheet with a good goal. Emery's probably already made his mind up on whether he can get a tune out of Watkins in the back half of the season.

I thought the ref had a good first half but the amount of stuff he was letting go in the second half just started to take the piss; towards the end it felt like he was not giving out yellows just for the sake of not giving one out, and if he was taking an approach of wanting to let things go where possible, then giving Alisson that free kick off Watkins invading his Special Goalkeeper Personal Space was just pathetic.

I really hope the rumours of Emery wanting to sell Emi Martinez aren't true; unless they've got some kind of masterstroke out of left field lined up I don't think that defence can handle the disruption of him going mid-season

• Like 1

Kamara is world class. He was easily our best player tonight. 

Against lesser opposition, we win that game. We created enough. 

Olsen is an awful GK, we need a better back up.

Watkins is totally infuriating. Misses a couple of 'easier' chances then produces that header! 

We looked like a side that hadn't played competativly for a while and I trust Emery to bring in what we need to kick on. 

• Like 1

My thoughts

We look better when we get the ball forward quicker, not sure why Olsen, Mings and Konsa mess about with it so much. Kamara in particular is ok receiving the ball under pressure.

Olsen....nervous, makes the players and the fans nervous, not good enough.

Young...shouldn't be 1st choice RB, but was ok

Digne...was ok, better at going forward than Targett

Mings and Konsa......both make 2 or 3 mistakes in each game, against better players they get found out. We will be better imho when Carlos comes back

Kamara....by far our best player, good on the ball, uses it well, moves it quickly. Bargain

Luiz /Buendia.....both  usy, both give the ball away too much, both make poor choices with the ball in good positions. Ok but we need better. Missed Ramsey tonight.

McGinn..unpopular view, but i thought he was ok tonight, great pass for Watkins, got in the box well. Not the worse.

Bailey/Watkins......both the same, try hard, work hard, at best average quality in front of goal. Both could have had at least 2 goals each tonight.

Overall, as The Rev said earlier, i thought there was a lot to be optimistic about tonight with the energy levels and movement on the ball. Be interesting to see what he does in the transfer window

• Like 3

That Villa performance would beat most teams in the Premier League so I'm not totally disappointed. We had Martinez, Ramsey and Cash out and they do add to the team although, Young had another decent game for us tonight. 

We need a better back-up goalkeeper, two new centre backs, a wide attacking forward and a natural striker. It's a lot to ask for but, we need them. 

We're so lucky to have Kamara in our team. He's a brilliant player and we need to build our whole midfield around him because he looks a top class player. 

My only criticism of the manager was the late subs. We needed to change it earlier than that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Because I was interested to see what that was like. I felt we had 4/5 big chances. 

And took none. Its a completely irrelevant pointless statistic made for the FIFA game playing generation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Â