Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/22 at 23:59

Olsen - so poor. Just not a Premier League goalkeeper. Reminds me so much of Nyland. 4

Young - alright. Didn't do too much wrong, but part of a failing defence overall. 5

Mings - poor. Played a number of lazy clearances directly to the opposition, was slow to react as usual and didn't do anything to organise or rally the defence. 4

Konsa - poor. Slow and ponderous. 4

Digne - not great. Tried to make a few things happen but he's very physically weak for a fullback and his attacking play wasn't terribly dynamic. 5

McGinn - have to give him some credit, he tried to drive us forward from midfield, had a few nice touches and turns, was strong and with more composure he might have scored. Unfortunately not good enough to warrant more than a 6

Kamara - a good defensive midfielder, probably the best midfielder we have. Composed, holds the ball when he has it and often battles well to win it back when we've lost it. Could do more to organise the midfield, a bit harsh maybe as this is McGinn's job, but I feel like he sees things that John never will. 7

Luiz - simply not at the races today, pretty awful. 4

Buendia - tried his little heart out, saw someone saying he needs to know when to hold onto the ball for longer and I agree with this. In his defence, it's part of his game to take risks and try killer passes and early balls, but the return we're getting at the moment doesn't justify the wasted possession. Admire the endeavour as always. 6

Watkins - so very frustrating one on one with the keeper. Never going to score in that scenario, which should be a good striker's bread and butter. For me he's not a finisher, is better coming in off the left, but we're not spoiled with options through the middle unfortunately. Took the goal very well on his head, if only he was as clinical with his feet. 6

Bailey - Appalling. 3

SUBS

Had too little time out there to affect a game that was already over as a contest.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 3

Our defence was outpaced and outthought by the Liverpool attack and we missed simple chances up front. The hope I take away is that we did create those chances and with a more competent forward than Watkins might have converted a couple more. - McGinn also massively at fault here.

Emery has a long way to go but I guess we knew that. I had just allowed myself to forget it over the World Cup break.

Kamara MOTM for me. His performance provided some light in the darkness.

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That Villa performance would beat most teams in the Premier League so I'm not totally disappointed. We had Martinez, Ramsey and Cash out and they do add to the team although, Young had another decent game for us tonight. 

We need a better back-up goalkeeper, two new centre backs, a wide attacking forward and a natural striker. It's a lot to ask for but, we need them. 

We're so lucky to have Kamara in our team. He's a brilliant player and we need to build our whole midfield around him because he looks a top class player. 

My only criticism of the manager was the late subs. We needed to change it earlier than that. 

The late subs were a bit strange, but Villa had a strong period right before their final goal so it might have been a case of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

The late subs were a bit strange, but Villa had a strong period right before their final goal so it might have been a case of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

It was broke though. We were still losing and struggling to challenge the goalkeeper with anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But a good manager doesn't wait till it's broke. He should have brought two fresh attacking players whilst we had the momentum. Buendia and Bailey were crying out to be replaced. 

• Like 2

Takeaways for me.

1. When we apply ourselves, we look good and can compete with good teams.

2.Defence of set pieces leaves much to be desired.

3. We desperately need a new striker and backup goalie.

4. Liverpool have 0% chance of winning the league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, est1874 said:

It was broke though. We were still losing and struggling to challenge the goalkeeper with anything.

I don't understand this view. We were battering them for at least 20 mins but just couldn't score.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, smg said:

Haven’t read the thread but no doubt Olsen was shit, watched the game and I’m not sure King EMI would have made much difference. 

He'd have marshalled the defence better and the 3rd goal def does not go in with Emi in goal.

He'd have come out to a number of the 1 on 1s too.

At one stage it seemed like Liverpool were letting us have goal kicks so that Olsen would give them the ball back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Olsen - so poor. Just not a Premier League goalkeeper. Reminds me so much of Nyland. 4

Young - alright. Didn't do too much wrong, but part of a failing defence overall. 5

Mings - poor. Played a number of lazy clearances directly to the opposition, was slow to react as usual and didn't do anything to organise or rally the defence. 4

Digne - not great. Tried to make a few things happen but he's very physically weak for a fullback and his attacking play wasn't terribly dynamic. 5

McGinn - have to give him some credit, he tried to drive us forward from midfield, had a few nice touches and turns, was strong and with more composure he might have scored. Unfortunately not good enough to warrant more than a 6

Kamara - a good defensive midfielder, probably the best midfielder we have. Composed, holds the ball when he has it and often battles well to win it back when we've lost it. Could do more to organise the midfield, a bit harsh maybe as this is McGinn's job, but I feel like he sees things that John never will. 7

Buendia - tried his little heart out, saw someone saying he needs to know when to hold onto the ball for longer and I agree with this. In his defence, it's part of his game to take risks and try killer passes and early balls, but the return we're getting at the moment doesn't justify the wasted possession. Admire the endeavour as always. 6

Watkins - so very frustrating one on one with the keeper. Never going to score in that scenario, which should be a good striker's bread and butter. For me he's not a finisher, is better coming in off the left, but we're not spoiled with options through the middle unfortunately. Took the goal very well on his head, if only he was as clinical with his feet. 6

Bailey - Appalling. 3

SUBS

Had too little time out there to affect a game that was already over as a contest.

Just quoting stereotypical views on here. Was it written before the match ? But it is Boxing Day so saves some time. Have a nice evening.

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Bailey - Appalling. 3

SUBS

Bailey worse than Olsen?!?!?

16 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Bailey - Appalling. 3

SUBS

One player above a 6? Nah, that's rubbish.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who took some optimism from this match.

Despite a bad start to the season, Liverpool are still one of the 5-6 best teams in Europe and the first two goals showed it. The first resulted from some world-class precision one-touch passes that are beyond us right now. The second was a world class finish (from a defender!) through a tiny gap in a thicket of players. They have that extra bit of quality that the elite teams have.

That said, we had some stretches where we dominated midfield and we will beat some lesser teams playing the way we played today. It was a much more positive performance than Gerrard-ball.

Watkins was my MOTM. The goal was well taken and he had another nice finish that was called back for offside. He seemed to have an edge to him today, which is a positive sign. Kamara was also very good.

Mings bailed us out a few times and I can't blame him for any of the goals.

McGinn wasn't as bad as some of his early season performances but is still McGinn...his passing just isn't good enough for us to take the next step up.

Olsen's shot-stopping is competent and mostly played it safe with the ball handling. (I think this affected us tactically; in Emery's first few league matches, we tended to play around with the ball in back more.) I can't blame him for the first two goals. He overcommitted on their third and I do blame him for that one. Emi probably would not have made that mistake.

Spurs are up next and they usually give us trouble, but we have four winnable matches after that. I'm looking forward to those.

• Like 1

Based on the first sixty minutes:

Olsen: OK, not the most confident goal keeper. The odd Martinez-esque save. Some poor distribution too.
Young OK, Some good defending, some mistakes but nothing jumps out.
Konsa, I did not feel it was his best game
Mings: OK. Some important defensive blocks
Digne OK to some nice moments
McGinn ... not his worst game
Luiz ... not a good game for him, looked slow at times and gave away the ball a little bit too often for my taste. Looked slow at times. 
Bailey ... OK. Could have done better on some shots.
Watkins, I thought he was good not perfect by any means but good ... I thought the quality of the services he was getting was variable at best.
Beundia, OK worked hard.

Some general observations:
Villa looked short in height compared to L'pool.
A lot of the passes in the build-up went behind the player, so the player had to turn and backtrack... breaking up the flow of the build-up.
The players at times looked slow, either going forward or chasing a fast break

OK just won't do in the premier league, especially against teams like Liverpool.

Edited by fruitvilla

5 minutes ago, TomC said:

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who took some optimism from this match.

Despite a bad start to the season, Liverpool are still one of the 5-6 best teams in Europe and the first two goals showed it. The first resulted from some world-class precision one-touch passes that are beyond us right now. The second was a world class finish (from a defender!) through a tiny gap in a thicket of players. They have that extra bit of quality that the elite teams have.

That said, we had some stretches where we dominated midfield and we will beat some lesser teams playing the way we played today. It was a much more positive performance than Gerrard-ball.

Watkins was my MOTM. The goal was well taken and he had another nice finish that was called back for offside. He seemed to have an edge to him today, which is a positive sign. Kamara was also very good.

Mings bailed us out a few times and I can't blame him for any of the goals.

McGinn wasn't as bad as some of his early season performances but is still McGinn...his passing just isn't good enough for us to take the next step up.

Olsen's shot-stopping is competent and mostly played it safe with the ball handling. (I think this affected us tactically; in Emery's first few league matches, we tended to play around with the ball in back more.) I can't blame him for the first two goals. He overcommitted on their third and I do blame him for that one. Emi probably would not have made that mistake.

Spurs are up next and they usually give us trouble, but we have four winnable matches after that. I'm looking forward to those.

I can't blame Olsen for No. 2, but I do think Emi gets a hand on that to tip it wide.

17 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Bailey worse than Olsen?!?!?

Yes he was, missed two chances, completely missed the ball, fluffed his lines. Olsen did what he had to do but was let down by poor defending a bit of bad luck for the second..

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Watkins slated in the match thread, but apart from Kamara he was probably our second best player. Bailey was far more culpable for wasted chances; not just the two laughable miskicks, but turning round when on the break and making poor decisions. We knew that Olsen was a problem, and he is. 

Onwards!

Watkins was a weird one. I don't think he'd get a 1/10 for the first half from me, but he looked much better after the break. Still don't think on the whole he did enough to avoid being replaced in January. A better striker up front and we get something from that match imo.

Â