Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/12/22 at 23:59

2 hours ago, Shirtman said:

A few good touches by Kamara, but he doesn't impose himself enough on games.

He was disappointing tonight. Like most, very leggy, lacked energy or off the ball movement. Maybe there's a virus in the camp as I expected more from an Emery side in terms of at least some energy and intent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Bailey worse than Olsen?!?!?

I think they were as bad as each other and equally culpable for costing us.  Bailey had two balls played directly to his feet in front of goal and air-kicked both of them.  I see people on these boards slating Watkins (at least Watkins made clean contact and put his efforts on target) but those two mis-kicks by Bailey were appalling.  Olsen kicked at least three "passes" directly into the crowd and only he can explain what he was hoping to achieve when he came flying out into no-mans land on the third (killer) goal. 

• Thanks 1

I'm viewing this first round of games like a crap shoot for all the teams. A World Cup break just as the season was picking up steam was bound to throw everyone off. I think we will see an improvement vs Tottenham. Martinez back will settle the team and tighten everything up. 

Olsen seems like a nice chap but I never want to see him play for us again. A new #2 should be a January priority. 

As well as a goal scorer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I think they were as bad as each other and equally culpable for costing us.  Bailey had two balls played directly to his feet in front of goal and air-kicked both of them.  I see people on these boards slating Watkins (at least Watkins made clean contact and put his efforts on target) but those two mis-kicks by Bailey were appalling.  Olsen kicked at least three "passes" directly into the crowd and only he can explain what he was hoping to achieve when he came flying out into no-mans land on the third (killer) goal. 

Oh no he kicked three balls into the crowd and closed down a player inside the penalty area about to shoot on goal !! Much better to stay where he was and let the player shoot . Let’s be honest it didn’t matter what he did if we lost today it was his fault . 
In no way was he responsible for todays result, but it’s quite trendy to say so,

looking forward to a faultless end of season from Emi.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, smg said:

Oh no he kicked three balls into the crowd and closed down a player inside the penalty area about to shoot on goal !! Much better to stay where he was and let the player shoot . Let’s be honest it didn’t matter what he did if we lost today it was his fault . 
In no way was he responsible for todays result, but it’s quite trendy to say so,

I get you’re point mate and it’s easy to blame Olsen but end of the day when you have a top keeper it makes a big difference in a game. For example if Alisson was out and for example Adrian had to play it would be a different result.  It’s not Olsens fault he ain’t Emi. You just need your best players to have any chance of beating a team like Liverpool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get you’re point mate and it’s easy to blame Olsen but end of the day when you have a top keeper it makes a big difference in a game. For example if Alisson was out and for example Adrian had to play it would be a different result.  It’s not Olsens fault he ain’t Emi. You just need your best players to have any chance of beating a team like Liverpool. 

If you go back to 90s it's very similar to when Bosnich got a bad injury in 98/99. Michael Oakes came in and initially did a decent job but as that season went on we started shipping so many goals and fell down the table. Bozzy came back in near the end and straight away we started keeping clean sheets again.

It's that assurance aswell as ability sometimes that feeds through rest of the team.

• Like 1

Deflating, too many passengers in the side. When you defend the way we did in the first half especially, and combo it with atrocious finishing then you’re on to a hiding to nothing. Made all the worse by the patronising shit I have to now tolerate from all my Liverpool supporting glory-hunting mates.

• Like 1

I think it's all about mentality we just have never in the modern era had the will to win; we aren't a million miles away.

Emery is a winner who will weed out the weaker players or get their mentality stronger.

Kamara MOTM, so young but just bossed the midfield.

Buendia I really want to like him but still cannot figure him out, is he really good or really bad?

On another night Watkins could have had a hat-trick. His all-round play was very good.

Referee was shocking. There is corruption in FIFA, we know this and yet it also transpires in the PL; teams like Liverplop don't even know they benefit from this most of the time. So many 50/50s went against us tonight it was terrible.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not arguing with that but we don’t have that option. It’s just disappointing that some of our ‘fans’ are happy to say that we can’t win with Olson in goal, why openly give up on the team before you kick off ? 

i think we missed Ramsey tonight, Bailey is one part of the puzzle in terms of offering threat on the break (but easier to nullify when he is the only one who can), but we certainly missed having a second player who can progress/carry the ball and offer a threat pace wise (& carrying the ball at pace), its a fair bit easier to just try and nullify Bailey when he's by himself (i dont think he is making the most of his pace either - seems reticent to take players on??), we prob also missed Ramsey's finishing.

Having McGinn and Buendia in the "wide" positions kinda made those roles a bit plodding pace wise.

Terrible overall finishing also from the forward line, Watkins is a painful watch at times.

It does highlight where we need the reinforcements, though, hopefully Emery has it in hand.

We really need a new DC, pacey/skilful winger/wide/inside forward type and a striker.

2 hours ago, smg said:

I never said he was responsible for the result.  If you actually read my post I was referencing the fact that Bailey was as culpable as he was for costing us in big moments in the game.  They were both poor when needed.  If he'd stayed big and under-control on the third goal he would have had an opportunity to force the player wide when he decided not to shoot initially.  Mis-hitting the odd pass is expected.  To hit routine passes ten yards over the head of the intended target continually is poor play/lack of composure and gives teammates no confidence in your ability to play out.  Bailey was poor today, so was Olsen.  He's not good enough at this level and has proven that in every match he's played.  

For me, this result was predictable and whilst there is a case for positives.....The negatives still remain from under 3 managers.

The comments,on here, so far ,could be about any on the games from the top teams, from the past.

We could have had a hatful of goals with a little composure, but on another day Liverpool could have had 6......our game was wide open.

There has to come a time, that we identify our shortfalls, in order to progress.....otherwise, its just rinsing and repeating excuses.

Despite the missed chances.....Mings was right, we defended badly, at least he was honest.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think it's all about mentality we just have never in the modern era had the will to win; we aren't a million miles away.

Emery is a winner who will weed out the weaker players or get their mentality stronger.

Kamara MOTM, so young but just bossed the midfield.

Buendia I really want to like him but still cannot figure him out, is he really good or really bad?

On another night Watkins could have had a hat-trick. His all-round play was very good.

Referee was shocking. There is corruption in FIFA, we know this and yet it also transpires in the PL; teams like Liverplop don't even know they benefit from this most of the time. So many 50/50s went against us tonight it was terrible.

I don't think UE has a choice, he has to strengthen this 11

How long before we lose him....we have to do better than that, else we will lose him.

Buendia is not effective, or consistent enough.

I am not as convinced with this performance as some Fans, seem to be.....I just saw some stuff, I have been watching for some time.

I don't think we can coach our way out of some of these players......I think it needs surgery.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smg said:

Just quoting stereotypical views on here. Was it written before the match ? But it is Boxing Day so saves some time. Have a nice evening.

Yes that's right, I wrote that up before the game. Acquire a grip. 😅

6 hours ago, est1874 said:

It was broke though. We were still losing and struggling to challenge the goalkeeper with anything.

6 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I don't understand this view. We were battering them for at least 20 mins but just couldn't score.

This is different ways of saying the same thing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Neither. Because he's good (or even really good) in some games but not good in some others. But then nearly all our other players also seem to be inconsistent!

Edited by robby b

Â