Messi vs Pele vs Maradona - Who's the GOAT?

messi11

Messi vs Pele vs Maradona - Who's the GOAT?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Greatest Footballer of All Time?

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are as good as. Why would they not be better?

They have different skills on the pitch but because they dont score doesnt mean they cant be called greatest either

🤣Do you know why players normally get stuck in goal and defence at school/clubs? 
There is no way all those players you mentioned are better than Messi, Pele and Maradona. 

Neuer, Xabi, Iniesta, Maldini aren't scoring 92 goals in a calendar year. They aren't scoring that Maradona goal against England. They arent producing Magic Moments to lift us of our chairs on many many occasions.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

🤣Do you know why players normally get stuck in goal and defence at school/clubs? 
There is no way all those players you mentioned are better than Messi, Pele and Maradona. 

Neuer, Xabi, Iniesta, Maldini aren't scoring 92 goals in a calendar year. They aren't scoring that Maradona goal against England. They arent producing Magic Moments to lift us of our chairs on many many occasions.

I'm sure Maldini and Neuer had plenty of inspired performances that kept goals out that helped their teams to glory. How's Neuer meant to score 92 goals from in goal? He did however completely revolutionise the position and helped football be a more attacking game in general in the process.

• Like 1

Brazil Ronaldo. He could have retired at the age of 21 and been remembered as one of the three greatest players of all time. Easily the best player I’ve ever seen and I just don’t see how Pele could have been as good. He could do everything I’ve seen any other player do and more. He was the true once in a lifetime talent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All greats but Pele was the king amongst princes. He was that good. 

Theres also been very gifted players such as Garrincha and Cryuff etc. but Then again Maradona and Napoli. It’s so hard to choose. Messi ever since his debut has pretty much been the best.

Gabby Agbonlahor is the goat. How many of the others have needed directions to the goal???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, momo said:

Messi barely runs now. Don't understand the plaudits. Argentina has a good collective now. Maradona won Argentina the 1986 world cup. That team wouldn't have achieved anything without Maradona. Maradona is the real GOAT.

Messi carried Argentina to the copa America last year and he’s pretty much carrying them to this World Cup

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

For me its flawed anyway in attackers favour. Xavi, Modric and Iniesta contributed as much as all 3 but didnt score millions of goals

Then Manuel Neuer who has won nearly everything and changed how goalkeeping is actually played. Also Paolo Maldini the greatest defender ever. Was a few touches away from winning the World Cup and Euros to go with his 4/5 /European Cup/Champions Leagues

I agree that these discussions are skewed towards attackers. 

But even if you take away that bias, the answer is still Messi.

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned that players are protected more now, but to also add to that I think players are handled better off the pitch too. I think Gazza would be in the conversation if he'd gone to Utd instead of Spurs. Best player at the 90 world cup. I think Maradona would have lasted far longer too, and his career wouldn't have ended in relative ignominy.

But I voted Maradona. I think he'd be incredible in the modern game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Earlier in the thread somebody mentioned that players are protected more now, but to also add to that I think players are handled better off the pitch too. I think Gazza would be in the conversation if he'd gone to Utd instead of Spurs. Best player at the 90 world cup. I think Maradona would have lasted far longer too, and his career wouldn't have ended in relative ignominy.

Nail on the head. We have to assume the greats of yesteryear would be fit and professional to todays standards.

Pele and Maradona would score for fun in the Premier League.

Gerd Muller v Ben Mee?  , then there’s the defenders - Bobby Moore in today’s game wow!

• Like 2

That theory only ever seems to be applied moving forwards though...

Like no modern footballer could be great in the 60s/70s/80s which is unfair, they'd adapt in a different way but still be good enough to adapt

Pele, Maradona, messi would all be great players in any era

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That theory only ever seems to be applied moving forwards though...

Like no modern footballer could be great in the 60s/70s/80s which is unfair, they'd adapt in a different way but still be good enough to adapt

Pele, Maradona, messi would all be great players in any era

I dont think the growth hormones Messi took would have been around in other eras 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

It's a valid point...

Rehabilitation, physiotherapy, sports science all would help immeasurably.

I'm still Diego Armando Maradona, when I read his book El Diego he discusses the excruciating pain he was often in before, during and after matches. Made to play, just got on with it...

• Like 1

It's great how drugs, mafia connections, disregard for professionalism, a handball cheat can be brought into conversation when it's about Maradona, but walking off crying or doing dodgy interviews cross Ronaldo off the list.

I think that if Maradona played today, he would be the most hated person on VT.

I am not saying Ronaldo is the greatest, but in my opinion off the field behaviour should be taken into consideration when we decide who the greatest of all time is. 

39 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's great how drugs, mafia connections, disregard for professionalism, a handball cheat can be brought into conversation when it's about Maradona, but walking off crying or doing dodgy interviews cross Ronaldo off the list.

I am not saying Ronaldo is the greatest, but in my opinion off the field behaviour should be taken into consideration when we decide who the greatest of all time is. 

Does that include rape?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If you know the story about Maradona it could be understood that the Mafia in Napoli involved him in their world and got him addicted in the first place as a ploy to keep him connected with them and dependent. 

After he died it was found that Maradona was literally supporting hundreds of people and families from his country.

I think he was a good man who became a victim of his success and everybody wanted a piece of him.

One telling thing is that there are actually alternatives to Messi during his days.

For Pele and Maradona during their heyday it was them.....................MASSIVE GAP..........................ANOTHER MASSIVE GAP..............................A bunch of great players

• Like 2

Â