Messi vs Pele vs Maradona - Who's the GOAT?

messi11

Messi vs Pele vs Maradona - Who's the GOAT?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Greatest Footballer of All Time?

Interesting take.

If we're talking just pure natural talent I would have Ronaldinho ahead of CR7 as well.

Talking about R9: Up till the age of 23 (Pre Injury): Ronaldo: 233 goals Messi: 134 goals C. Ronaldo: 92 goals. He was on the trajectory to become the greatest ever. Injuries prevented that, real shame.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PaulC said:

I don't like Maradona but nobody can deny he scored the greatest individual goal ever in the world cup.

Yes, his second goal against Belgium.

He ran further and beat more players in the second goal against England, but I think that the second against Belgium was more difficult because at one point he took on three defenders at once and the finish was off balance.

Another debate! 🙂

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Interesting take.

If we're talking just pure natural talent I would have Ronaldinho ahead of CR7 as well.

Talking about R9: Up till the age of 23 (Pre Injury): Ronaldo: 233 goals Messi: 134 goals C. Ronaldo: 92 goals. He was on the trajectory to become the greatest ever. Injuries prevented that, real shame.

Agree with that! Ronaldo 9 was incredible. 
Crazy to think he never won a champions league in his career. 
I think he should of stopped at Barcelona. Surprised he left them so soon

Edited by Lupinthe5th

Maradona fans. How come he failed to win a Copa America with Argentina? 
How come he didn't do the business at Barcelona? 
Did he play much in the European Cup (I mean even Villa was winning the European cup in the 80's)

Maradona achievements and greatness  got better with time, Messi achievements and greatness will only get better with time too. 

Edited by Lupinthe5th

6 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Did he play much in the European Cup (I mean even Villa was winning the European cup in the 80's)

Maradona achievements and greatness  got better with time, Messi achievements and greatness will only get better with time too. 

Maradona played in 3 Copa Americas, Messi 6

Only one team per country qualified for the European Cup in 80s now its top 4 and his Napoli played against one of the best club sides ever and won 2 league titles in probably the hardest league ever

Ask any Argentinian(still) or Neapolitan person and is no other player they would label God

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maradona played in 3 Copa Americas, Messi 6

Only one team per country qualified for the European Cup in 80s now its top 4 and his Napoli played against one of the best club sides ever and won 2 league titles in probably the hardest league ever

Ask any Argentinian(still) or Neapolitan person and is no other player they would label God

I feel with Maradona he didn't have the longevity. I know he had trouble with the Mafia, Cocaine, Partying, eating. I guess thats a big reason why he's also loved. 

One of the greatest football clips tho:

16 hours ago, TomC said:

Yes, his second goal against Belgium.

He ran further and beat more players in the second goal against England, but I think that the second against Belgium was more difficult because at one point he took on three defenders at once and the finish was off balance.

Another debate! 🙂

download.jpeg.5ec458232ce7ca7789528344bc6fcaf0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 09:57, Stevo985 said:

The game has moved on. They’d probably be far worse than their era because the pace of the game these days is a thousand times faster. 

You drop Ronaldo or Messi or Mbappe into the 70s or 80s and they would eclipse everyone

I disagree with the first point. You have to assume that the likes of Pele, Maradona etc would be fit by today’s standards. They played with heavier boots , shin pads were crude, the footballs were heavy.

Eusebio for example was rapid so imagine him in today’s game . He’d still be rapid but with lighter boots. 

But then again Messi Ronaldo etc would have been used to the physicality of the 60’s 70’s etc so they still would have been great. 

The reality is great players would be great in any era. 

For me after thinking about it for a few days I think they’re all equal. Pele amazing, Maradona amazing, Messi amazing. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

I wouldn't say Maradona failed but the Argentina team were politically a complete shambles during his time.There were many changes in the country during Maradona's time socially, economical and in a political sense which all had a detriment to the team. This is part of the reason why they did not take their brightest young player to the WC in '78.

At Barcelona he scored 38 goals in 58 goals. In his first season he contracted hepatitis, broke his ankle and had to deal with terrible physical abuse from other players.

How old are you? Did you ever see him play? I'd recommend the documentary and reading his book as it paints a much better picture than the one we are incorrectly accustomed to.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I disagree with the first point. You have to assume that the likes of Pele, Maradona etc would be fit by today’s standards. They played with heavier boots , shin pads were crude, the footballs were heavy.

Eusebio for example was rapid so imagine him in today’s game . He’d still be rapid but with lighter boots. 

But then again Messi Ronaldo etc would have been used to the physicality of the 60’s 70’s etc so they still would have been great. 

The reality is great players would be great in any era. 

For me after thinking about it for a few days I think they’re all equal. Pele amazing, Maradona amazing, Messi amazing. 

Exactly, it works both ways.

If you lifted Maradona out of the 80's and dropped him into a game today he'd be awful because the fitness and pressing has moved on so much. But if he'd grown up in this era he'd still be brilliant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wouldn't say Maradona failed but the Argentina team were politically a complete shambles during his time.There were many changes in the country during Maradona's time socially, economical and in a political sense which all had a detriment to the team. This is part of the reason why they did not take their brightest young player to the WC in '78.

At Barcelona he scored 38 goals in 58 goals. In his first season he contracted hepatitis, broke his ankle and had to deal with terrible physical abuse from other players.

How old are you? Did you ever see him play? I'd recommend the documentary and reading his book as it paints a much better picture than the one we are incorrectly accustomed to.

I think this is key, I think the majority of ones voting for Messi weren't born when Maradona was playing, and very few on here would have been born when Pele was so I can easily see why fans are swayed by this. 

I was 9 during the 86 World Cup and I was mesmerised by Maradona, shamed now to say but I wanted them to beat England back then purely down to the genius of one man.  

Â