January Transfers 2023

sne

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Best avoid any Juve players for a few years.

So the players got told by Juve they have to take a lower salary due to covid, or get given a contract renewal that is lower than their current one but over a longer period.  I don't see why the players should be held accountable for this?

I know ignorance isn't usually an excuse when it comes to fraud, but in this case I don't really see how they could ever have known it was a fraudulent activity. Covid brought about laoss of obscure working arrangements, and signing a new contract to extend your stay isn't exactly unusual,  and depending on their form/age,  a drop in salary might also not be unusual. 

That said, if the bans stick, I can see a lot of legal wrangling over this between the players, the FA, and the clubs involved.  Spurs filing a suit against Juve anyone?

Going to be interesting watching this play out. 

• Like 1

Also amused me that Juve could have been subject to more legal wranglings if the prosecutor wasn't so incompetent

According to the athletic... they used Transfermarkt to base the player valuations on and call out attention to questionable sales made. The fact the case failed on these grounds is a good indicator of how unreliable that site is as a guide for value. 

COVISOC, another watchdog charged with supervising the football industry in Italy, had passed a report to the Italian football federation (FIGC) highlighting 62 transfers from 2019-2021 for closer inspection.

Juventus were acquitted alongside 10 others — including current Serie A leaders Napoli — in April 2022. Paratici and Agnelli were among 59 individuals to also be cleared at that point, with the prosecutor’s case undermined by leaning on the widely-used but unofficial football website Transfermarkt as a benchmark for player valuations.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

how the **** have bournemouth signed nicolas jackson

hopefully he'll have a relegation clause so we can get him cheap in the summer

He might not be very good

The fact the manager who pretty much gave him his start in football seemed to have no interest in him while we spent more on an unproven kid from Chicago indicates that to me

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

So the players got told by Juve they have to take a lower salary due to covid, or get given a contract renewal that is lower than their current one but over a longer period.  I don't see why the players should be held accountable for this?

I know ignorance isn't usually an excuse when it comes to fraud, but in this case I don't really see how they could ever have known it was a fraudulent activity. Covid brought about laoss of obscure working arrangements, and signing a new contract to extend your stay isn't exactly unusual,  and depending on their form/age,  a drop in salary might also not be unusual. 

That said, if the bans stick, I can see a lot of legal wrangling over this between the players, the FA, and the clubs involved.  Spurs filing a suit against Juve anyone?

Going to be interesting watching this play out. 

Apparently the players were getting paid the whole salary but Juventus marked them as pay cuts for financial reasons

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2023 at 11:58, sne said:

Another Swedish player heading to England. CB Hjalmar Ekdal has joined Burnley from Djurgården.

They've also signed Belgian U-21 CB Ameen Al-Dakhil

That’s a step down for him, imo. Despite Kompany’s complete reformation of their style, playing centre half for Burnley doesn’t quite match the heights of being a lead character in one of Henrik Ibsen’s most famous plays. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently the players were getting paid the whole salary but Juventus marked them as pay cuts for financial reasons

Oh.  In that case, i retract my defence.  Will make it interesting what spurs try and sue Juve for. Levy not letting this slide.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Good old Italian accounting. 

Unbelievable how much the media are pressurising Bellingham to move to Liverpool, constantly “he has to move there” “would be the perfect fit for them” personally I think it would be a terrible move for him, he’d fit well in the Real Madrid midfield.

• Like 1

Â