January Transfers 2023

sne

20 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How are Brighton getting work permits for these young South American players?

It's easy now.

Most of the top clubs in Argentina, Brazil etc are now tier 1 for work permits under brexit.

It's now easier to recruit from the top south american teams than say.....scandinavian clubs etc.

• Like 2

They'll also get more points on the fee and the wages won't they?

Luiz got a permit for us because of where he sat in our list of highest transfer and highest earner but on city's list he was too low

I'd say with our spending since a £10m South American wouldn't get those points for us anymore but Carlos at £30m still did 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Luiz got a permit for us because of where he sat in our list of highest transfer and highest earner but on city's list he was too low

I'd say with our spending since a £10m South American wouldn't get those points for us anymore but Carlos at £30m still did 

Was the only reason Wesley cost so much as well

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This was what I was thinking. Guess I'm just shocked that a £10m fee would be big enough for them, was expecting two or three times that would be needed. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, the fee and wages don't matter any more. It's what @MaVilla said, it's the league rating (and probably also the number of games played in that league last season). 

Don't you have to have played a certain % of your country national games as well? Or has that changed?

Chances are a good prospect from Ecuador, Paraguay etc.will have senior international appearances even at 20 or 21.

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

Don't you have to have played a certain % of your country national games as well? Or has that changed?

Chances are a good prospect from Ecuador, Paraguay etc.will have senior international appearances even at 20 or 21.

Not 'have to' IIRC, but it certainly helps. 

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wout Weghorst may just be going to mould trafford

He will do well there. He has a good record at most of his team's except Burnley who assumed he was a long ball merchant

Makes me laugh seeing social media posts that claim that 'example player' is desperate to join 'example club' because of course they would be, who couldn't resist ever playing for Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea. They also post that players have been 'offered' to these clubs a lot. It's not just those clubs either, there are others. Every January I'm reminded how delusional some football fans can be. 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not 'have to' IIRC, but it certainly helps. 

I thought it was a points system and you need x number of points to qualify

They then give points for about 10 different categories so you can qualify in various different ways

Say you need 15 points to get one -

If you're from a tier 1 country you get 10 points

If you're one of the highest earners you get 5 points

If you play for your country you get 10 points, if you have the potential to play for your country in the future you get 5 points*

Etc etc

* which for me was always the way the old system was unfairly skewed towards the bigger teams get favourable decisions

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I thought it was a points system and you need x number of points to qualify

They then give points for about 10 different categories so you can qualify in various different ways

Say you need 15 points to get one -

If you're from a tier 1 country you get 10 points

If you're one of the highest earners you get 5 points

If you play for your country you get 10 points, if you have the potential to play for your country in the future you get 5 points*

Etc etc

* which for me was always the way the old system was unfairly skewed towards the bigger teams get favourable decisions

It is a points system, it's just that transfer fee and wages don't factor into the points. 

Â