January Transfers 2023

sne

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How sustainable is it long term though? They're doing well but it's a model other clubs (like Southampton) have historically employed, ultimately done nothing with in terms of success and eventually the conveyor belt stopped as the new guys turned out to be duds.

Teams like Atalanta, RB Salzburg ahow how it can be done. Brighton apparently have a great analytic set up which I dont think Southampton had at the time

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Don't think he would be a signing that screams that money though

We could make that signing, so could the likes of West ham

Someone like pino for £70m+ is the statement not gordon

I would be fuming if we signed Pino for 45 million never mind 70

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just saw something about Sterling being out of favour at Chelsea… would you take him at Villa?

He’s certainly and upgrade over Bailey and Buendia imo.

double no.

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just saw something about Sterling being out of favour at Chelsea… would you take him at Villa?

Nope. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

As an upgrade on Buendia and Bailey 100% absolutely not a **** chance

As an upgrade on Watkins... Thats where he should be

Is Sterling not just known as being a goal poacher these days, if so I doubt Emery would be interested as that's probably part of the reason why we got rid of Ings, Sterling might be a better version, but not sure if that's the kind of forward that Emery likes.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

No and he isn’t an upgrade either 

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

As an upgrade on Buendia and Bailey 100% absolutely not a **** chance

As an upgrade on Watkins... Thats where he should be

Sterling has never played through the middle has he? He’s always been a wider forward player hence the comparison to Bailey in particular. I’d have him in LB’s place in a heartbeat. I’d have him over Watkins too but I don’t really see him playing that role.

Just now, Genie said:

Sterling has never played through the middle has he? He’s always been a wider forward player hence the comparison to Bailey in particular. I’d have him in LB’s place in a heartbeat. I’d have him over Watkins too but I don’t really see him playing that role.

Yeah he's a wide forward but imo that's not his game, he's recently said something along the lines of Chelsea promised him time as a 9 and he's disappointed he's not had more chances there hence why he's being linked with a move, he's a tap in merchant and with his speed and movement he should be a damn good one, to me almost like a Haaland role where his role is when the ball goes near him just score, take 4 touches a game and score 3 goals job done, his problem is he say he wants that but he never plays like that

Villas problem as useless says is we don't really play a brand of football that feeds a tap in merchant

7 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Arsenal have bid 60 million for Caicedo at Brighton. Rejected.

As much as I rate Rice, Caicedo at about 20m less is a much better deal. Huge potential still and he's looked brilliant for Brighton so can see them wating to lock down probably the next Kante but suspect it will happen in the summer.

Good for us as Brighton will lose momentum without him in midfield.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Caicedo publicly asking for a move on his twitter.

Brighton will probably sell on deadline day then.

Pretty much admitted Mcallister will go in the summer so feels like too much quality to lose all in six months to be top half again next season.

They've been linked with Oxlade Chamberlain haven't they? Seems an odd move but they've got Lallana fit and he's been a steady eddie in their midfield. That sort of player trade won't be keeping then 6th-7th though.

This is where we need to be on it. Who knows how much better West Ham,Leicester and Wolves will be next season. Brighton shouldn't be as good so there's a chance to push for europa qualification if we get the summer window right.

Edit: Brighton signed Caciedo in Jan 2021 and he was then loaned to a partner club in Belgium and didn't seriously feature for them until a year later. They were smart giving him european experience in less intense enviornment.

Feels a bit like we're missing a trick with signings like Duran not having a partner club in europe and instead they're expecting to hit the ground running which is a coin toss.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Caicedo publicly asking for a move on his twitter.

This just shows how football is now.  Zero loyalty because it is all about the top 4 and the exposure of Champions League. 

Bissouma Trossard Cucarella and now maybe Caicedo in the space of 6 months all leaving or wanting to. Imagine that happening to us !

But thats 180 million of sales from an out lay of around 50 mill.  They have a genius transfer policy. 

They also play football like most of the supposed top 6 do. So the teams will take them as they will blend in easily.  So i hope Emery goes to 6 behind the ball from now on !!

Â