January Transfers 2023

sne

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I had no issue with him, ultimately he wasn't good enough but players who weren't good enough was the least of the trouble with that team

This is pretty much it for me. Had his limitations but got the most out of his talent over the course of his PL career.

You compare that with the likes of Sinclair, who clearly had more natural ability but no application or motivation whatsoever (other examples are available!)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

He was a nice guy and good attitude I'm sure but the fact we were happy with a midfielder who got literally an annual goal and assist, not to mention those infuriating floated corners just shows how absolutely pathetically crap we were in the mid-10's

He wasn't too badly at times when Delph was on form. Had a strong end to 12/13 season and he was arguably MOTM in that Liverpool SF.

As soon as Delph left he just became a non-entity in a premier league midfield.

Still when he was at Crewe he'd have taken his decade no problem so has certainly maximised his ability.

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He wasn't too badly at times when Delph was on form. Had a strong end to 12/13 season and he was arguably MOTM in that Liverpool SF.

As soon as Delph left he just became a non-entity in a premier league midfield.

Still when he was at Crewe he'd have taken his decade no problem so has certainly maximised his ability.

If dont include his token medals at City then Westwood has been better than Delph at PL level

• Like 1

Chris Wood to Forest on loan. I really do not get this.  His team are finally showing cohesion as they have got used to playing with one another and they are bringing in yet more players.  Its not as if Chris Wood adapted quickly at The Toon either. 

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Omonah and £3m i guess

I just imagine Conte shouting at Levy to pay the f****** money and Levy is saying no they will accept our reserves as the London media have convinced others they are elite

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Is there an obvious reason why they would activate it so soon? I don’t really get the point of it being a loan with an obligation to buy if it’s literally a few games. 

Maybe they want this purchase on this year’s book, fine. But wouldn’t you just make it a permanent deal from the off?

It could be done that way for loads of reasons, tax, accounting, amortisation etc. Wasn't there rumour that Liverpool spent big on Andy Carroll and Stewart downing as if they held on to the money it would have cost them £18m in tax?

Football transfers are never as straight forward as fans think they are. It's not like buying 20 B&H down the newsagents, these are multi million pound transactions. 

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It could be done that way for loads of reasons, tax, accounting, amortisation etc. Wasn't there rumour that Liverpool spent big on Andy Carroll and Stewart downing as if they held on to the money it would have cost them £18m in tax?

Football transfers are never as straight forward as fans think they are. It's not like buying 20 B&H down the newsagents, these are multi million pound transactions. 

Yeah I get that they’re structured in various ways. 

I just can’t recall seeing a transfer that was labelled as a loan with an obligation to buy which was then met within a few weeks. 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Wolves signed sarabia from psg on loan now too

Forest signed danilo from Palmeiras fro £20m

Had they reached a cap on number of loan players so had to make that other loan permanent?

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Had they reached a cap on number of loan players so had to make that other loan permanent?

No, wiki saying they've bought sarabia, £5m

They always seem to have loads of depth in wide attacking players and then very little everywhere else, got about 3 CBs in the whole squad but neto, podence, traore and sarabia out wide

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Chris Wood to Forest on loan. I really do not get this.  His team are finally showing cohesion as they have got used to playing with one another and they are bringing in yet more players.  Its not as if Chris Wood adapted quickly at The Toon either. 

They're getting rid of Emmanuel Dennis already aren't they? Awoniyi scored a few but not sure on his general performances so they're just looking for a targetman CF for Johnson and Gibbs White to combine with.

Â