João Félix

Delphinho123

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe size wise but i never thought Heskey was that great, actually very frustrating.  I’m sure there are better players with similar attributes but better to reference than Heskey.  

The obvious one being Benteke...

Or carew

And I agree with others it's an outdated concept anyway, will he even need to toughen up? Harry Kane wins a penalty every time the wind blows him over, its having that intelligence where to be how to play him and when to fall over, emery and felix should both have it, we aren't going to sign him and start whipping crosses in at him

• Like 1

We do not need a lump it to the big man player. 

Joao Felix is a fine player. And would be exactly what we need. The technical, creative deep lying striker that can help to unlock teams that drop deep (which is our weakness).

Of course the big man up top is also a way of doing this but, you simply won't do very well when it comes to keeping the ball, as to make use of a big man you have to hit long balls, a play lots of crosses (and accurate crosses and long balls aren't strengths this group of players have). 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We do not need a lump it to the big man player. 

Joao Felix is a fine player. And would be exactly what we need. The technical, creative deep lying striker that can help to unlock teams that drop deep (which is our weakness).

Of course the big man up top is also a way of doing this but, you simply won't do very well when it comes to keeping the ball, as to make use of a big man you have to hit long balls, a play lots of crosses (and accurate crosses and long balls aren't strengths this group of players have). 

I don't necessarily agree.....crosses are needed, whoever you have in the middle.....but if a forward has good aerial ability, it unlocks games, and adds another dimension.

Its hard to defend against a clever forward, with intelligent runs, who can score headed goals.....it gives defenders more to think about.

If you, dismiss this option and go with deep lying forwards, thats fine, but  you limit those options and make it difficult for wingers to make a target player......it also pre occupies Centre backs and deters them from drifting forward to join attacks.

The quote you have made " Lump it up to the big man", derides the position....because Giroud, Benzema, Lewandowski, Haaland, Kane ....are far away from "Lump it up tot the big man"....we are not talking Keiffer Moore here.

We are not talking Dave Simmons here, either......we are talking high quality strikers, who can score goals from aerial positions......There is a difference.

Joao Felix, might be a fine player, but he needs finishers to play with too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lupinthe5th said:

With him having his first name on his shirts and the number 23 you're talking like £200 a shirt

if we paid 50million for him that would mean selling 250,000 shirts

He will be a lot more than 50 million and we dont have that fan base

40 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Really?

Well, we might see some bonus payments i guess - but they bought our retailing completely - that's why you can't use your points to get a discount in the shop, it's why season ticket holders can't get a discount on shirts. They gave us a fixed fee for the rights to the shirt.

Anyways - back to the speculation, sorry.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Really?

Yes. As far as I am aware most clubs sell the rights to their shirt to the maker for a set fee. So Addidas pay Man Utd £20m a year or whatever it is and then they keep the money from the shirt sales. Clubs don't make a profit from shirt sales unless you are buying them direct from the club shop where they just get the retail markup.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't necessarily agree.....crosses are needed, whoever you have in the middle.....but if a forward has good aerial ability, it unlocks games, and adds another dimension.

Its hard to defend against a clever forward, with intelligent runs, who can score headed goals.....it gives defenders more to think about.

If you, dismiss this option and go with deep lying forwards, thats fine, but  you limit those options and make it difficult for wingers to make a target player......it also pre occupies Centre backs and deters them from drifting forward to join attacks.

The quote you have made " Lump it up to the big man", derides the position....because Giroud, Benzema, Lewandowski, Haaland, Kane ....are far away from "Lump it up tot the big man"....we are not talking Keiffer Moore here.

We are not talking Dave Simmons here, either......we are talking high quality strikers, who can score goals from aerial positions......There is a difference.

I agree, having a striker who is *all* aerial threat / holdup play like Keiffer Moore is very different from having an all-round striker who is quick, good with his feet, but also offers an aerial threat.

The only problem is that type of striker is generally always playing for a Champions League side. It's the very elite strikers that you named. I can't think of many below that level who have that profile - but hopefully we can find someone.

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Heading is a dying art, with all the talk about brain injuries, high quality pitches, an emphasis on shorter passing and greater mobility the target man is a dying breed at the highest levels of the game. 

If we can find a deep lying forward that can head as well as link up and create that would be lovely. But Teddy Sherringham was an exception. These types of strikers aren't usually good in the air.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, we might see some bonus payments i guess - but they bought our retailing completely - that's why you can't use your points to get a discount in the shop, it's why season ticket holders can't get a discount on shirts. They gave us a fixed fee for the rights to the shirt.

Anyways - back to the speculation, sorry.

It's also why (leaving clothing out of it) the merchandise is generic, limited and boring.  I remember going into the shop in the late 90s and it was like the football equivalent of Santa's grotto.  The quality pictures you could buy, for example.  Could you imagine them commission beautiful pieces like the huge print celebrating the 1994 League Cup (even if we actually won something).

My petty gripe is the discontinuing of programme binders.  Serious collectors would have had these since the 1960s onwards.  And then nothing.

Joao Felix is a gifted footballer. My doubts about him being a good fit for us are based on his career so far. He was excellent for Benfica as a teenager, where his dribbling and creativity made him a stand out player in a team that played free flowing football.

Athletic Madrid with Simeone in charge play the kind of pragmatic physical football that stifles his creativity and makes him ineffective, which often means that he's left on the bench.

Playing for Portugal at the World Cup suits him as it has given him a platform to showcase his talent, supported by some top quality team mates who allow him the time and space to do what he does best.

My concern is that although the Premier League is now blessed with some progressive managers, it is still a physical and often pragmatic environment where space and time on the ball can be severely curtailed.

Â