Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It's brand new and already looks dated. Shame we didn't go for the correct choice which was the Gas Lamp one.

Strongly agree with you, always preferred the 'lamp' shape and haven't changed my mind. 

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I'm disappointed we didn't end up with something more creative. Having seen what dragonrouge did elsewhere it looks like they were really hamstrung by our process.

Not that what we ended up with isn't nice.. it clearly is.

As my profile pic suggests, i preferred the other design of the two, mainly because it was something different that we could still relate back to our history (even if only our fans would understand why).

Every time you post, I wonder what might've been with the new badge. And your pic doesn't even appear to be a good version of it. Sigh.

Done a rush job getting the gas lamp colours more in line with the new 1982 badge:

Aston-Villa-FC-1973-1992.png?w=400&ssl=1

Think this looks better than with a blue lion, although there is a lot of blue background.

crest-1_newcolours.jpg

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Every time you post, I wonder what might've been with the new badge. And your pic doesn't even appear to be a good version of it. Sigh.

Done a rush job getting the gas lamp colours more in line with the new 1982 badge:

Aston-Villa-FC-1973-1992.png?w=400&ssl=1

Think this looks better than with a blue lion, although there is a lot of blue background.

crest-1_newcolours.jpg

That gas light one is awful the chosen one is a lot better

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That gas light one is awful the chosen one is a lot better

Agree to disagree. And clearly many other people do too.

I don't absolutely love either, I don't hate either. The new round badge is very nice, it's just going backwards and is strikingly similar to many other badges, especially Chelsea's.

The gas lamp was a chance to be proud, bold, innovators, like Aston Villa are. I don't think it was given a fair run given that the colours were inverted compared to the round badge. It's like they wanted to make it more different besides just the shape, but the round one was given the best treatment.

If someone had knocked up my impression in high quality I'm sure it would've won more votes (than the original, not more than the round). There's something off about the blue lion on a claret background. We've only ever had that once, for 4 years.

Aston-Villa-FC-1969-1973.jpg?resize=139,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The gas lamp was a chance to be proud, bold, innovators, like Aston Villa are.

Not really, it was a gimmick idea at best.  The round badge was always going to win because for so long fans have been talking and wanting to go back to that badge that whatever other design, however good was destined to come second.  

Death, taxes and the round badge are inevitable!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Agree to disagree. And clearly many other people do too.

I don't absolutely love either, I don't hate either. The new round badge is very nice, it's just going backwards and is strikingly similar to many other badges, especially Chelsea's.

The gas lamp was a chance to be proud, bold, innovators, like Aston Villa are. I don't think it was given a fair run given that the colours were inverted compared to the round badge. It's like they wanted to make it more different besides just the shape, but the round one was given the best treatment.

If someone had knocked up my impression in high quality I'm sure it would've won more votes (than the original, not more than the round). There's something off about the blue lion on a claret background. We've only ever had that once, for 4 years.

Aston-Villa-FC-1969-1973.jpg?resize=139,

Yeah i get that its personal preference.  None of them really screamed love it .

I think one of the lions should have been gold though. I didnt get why one was claret and one was blue. Our lions been gold for so long now didnt get the dumping of it

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

It's brand new and already looks dated. Shame we didn't go for the correct choice which was the Gas Lamp one.

By “correct” do you mean your choice? I prefer the one we’ve chosen, I think it was the better of the two, and is exactly what I’ve wanted for years.

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i get that its personal preference.  None of them really screamed love it .

I think one of the lions should have been gold though. I didnt get why one was claret and one was blue. Our lions been gold for so long now didnt get the dumping of it

The lion has been gold since football was invented in 1992, but before that it never was. If we're going back to round, why not back to non-gold lion?

Otherwise you could say we've had a crest for ages why change the shape now? Anyway, one of the established criterion was less gold - our colours are claret and blue. Also most people wanted the star, so it's there.

Given that it had to be whittled down to two choices, I'd just like to have seen those two choices differ in the way they really differed - the shape. Because you've also got different colour arrangements in the mix, that distorts the picture.

It's like if they'd have put the lion facing left in the gas lamp one only, that might've got more votes because people are used to it facing left. Or if one had the star and one didn't. I just feel like the gas lamp was set up to lose.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

The lion has been gold since football was invented in 1992, but before that it never was. If we're going back to round, why not back to non-gold lion?

Otherwise you could say we've had a crest for ages why change the shape now? Anyway, one of the established criterion was less gold - our colours are claret and blue. Also most people wanted the star, so it's there.

Given that it had to be whittled down to two choices, I'd just like to have seen those two choices differ in the way they really differed - the shape. Because you've also got different colour arrangements in the mix, that distorts the picture.

It's like if they'd have put the lion facing left in the gas lamp one only, that might've got more votes because people are used to it facing left. Or if one had the star and one didn't. I just feel like the gas lamp was set up to lose.

Well thats thw point isnt it we didnt want to go back. Since PL era our lions been gold. Dont see the reason to revert back

I personally would have preffwred something that wasnt almost identical to the old one but im ok with it it could have been worse (like our current one which is **** awful)

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They've done a really good job of not colour matching the badge to the claret on the actual shirt, in the Aston Villa tradition

I imagine it’s coded that way for now for emphasis only. It will be fixed I’m sure. 

It was a close run thing for me when the finalists were announced, but as time goes on I am happier that we went with the option we did. The gaslamp had the benefit of novelty and was slightly different to anything out there, but the roundel now just looks and feels right. 

Would other options be better? Sure, maybe, but of those two we definitely went the right way, and it's something I can more than live with. Makes our current crest look childish imo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Better than the option presented

claret lion small.png

Agreed. Not sure if the yellow highlights on the lion were intended but they look alright.

Its all moot now anyway, but your point about the vote being "weighted" in favour of the circle is right and highlighted by your mock up. There was no need for the colour ways to be inverted, as you then bring in multiple factors to a 50:50 vote. You are probably also right that the roundel would still have won anyway.

I do like the new badge, it's way better than what we have. And I think it's time I let go of the gaslamp shield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed. Not sure if the yellow highlights on the lion were intended but they look alright.

Its all moot now anyway, but your point about the vote being "weighted" in favour of the circle is right and highlighted by your mock up. There was no need for the colour ways to be inverted, as you then bring in multiple factors to a 50:50 vote. You are probably also right that the roundel would still have won anyway.

I do like the new badge, it's way better than what we have. And I think it's time I let go of the gaslamp shield.

Yeah I went with some gold highlights, but they could easily all be blue. 

Also not sure why I'm wasting time on it, it's over man.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Feel the star throws off the balance. If that was removed it would be a solid badge.  

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It never should have been added to our crest in the first place. 

I love having the star and based on the survey the club did so do the majority of the fans polled.  Style wise it’s fine, neither too in your face but also you can distinguish it…so all good in my book.

Â