Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

On 16/04/2023 at 05:00, Rolta said:

Just watching MOTD it's striking how many boring round badges there are. We had our chance to be original, but we messed up.

It's in the top three biggest **** ups related to a public vote ever I think. The others are howlers too.

They played it very safe. There's nothing particularly interesting or daring or original about it. It's fine, but just not exciting in any way. But the vote was always going to be a round badge. The only way we'd get something more interesting is if someone high up at the club had full authority to pursue something unique. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

Honestly, I prefer the current one to the upcoming one. And the alternatives. The fact that it (clearly unintentionally) looks like an Aston Villa version of the Chelsea badge simply by playing it safe shows you how uninspired and mediocre it (and a bog standard round badge template) is. They could have at least *tried* to offer something a bit more out there and keep it round if they really wanted to: Ajax managed it. Hell, go crazy like Koln did. But no, Round Badge Template Easy To Use In Marketing #232 it is.

The gas lamp alternative had plenty of problems too, from the name feeling off to the fact that it barely looks like a lamp. Clearly *someone* in the design process had a bold, cool idea that would have showcased a unique historical aspect on our club while looking all modern, but it was watered down into mediocrity: just like the round one. Not sure why they bothered if that is the case, really. The soullessness of it all is quite indicative of the direction that Villa's commercial department has taken over the years: pure marketing with no thought to anything else.

Also, that survey at the start was a joke. I actually laughed at how most of the questions were just asking people to pick meaningless buzzwords. I reckon you could have gotten people to take it 3 times a day and the results would have been entirely random each time, as nothing actually meant anything. Yet they seemingly clung to the results. No idea what they were thinking there.

Edited by wishywashy

26 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They played it very safe. There's nothing particularly interesting or daring or original about it. It's fine, but just not exciting in any way. But the vote was always going to be a round badge. The only way we'd get something more interesting if someone high up at the club had full authority to do pursue something unique. 

Yeah which would’ve peeved off most of the fans

2 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

pure marketing with no thought to anything else

Offering the client base what it wants seems like a good business idea to me 🤔

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Offering the client base what it wants seems like a good business idea to me 🤔

The new kits will sell like hot cakes, there's no doubt about that: the City Football Group badge template clearly works from a business perspective. I just find that sort of stuff empty, so corporate in feel. My disappointment comes from the feeling that they could have made a badge that both works well from their marketing perspective and made the greater public happy without defaulting to what is clearly a template. You had people on Twitter of all places managing to pull this off with countless concept badges that were just.. better. At all levels. It was not an impossible ask.

I'm weirdly passionate about this sort of stuff, I don't know why. I'd say I'm pretty business-heady a good 90% of the time. Yet I was also irrationally peeved at what they did to the Pringles and Firefox logos 😄

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The new kits will sell like hot cakes, there's no doubt about that: the City Football Group badge template clearly works from a business perspective. I just find that sort of stuff empty, so corporate in feel. My disappointment comes from the feeling that they could have made a badge that both works well from their marketing perspective and made the greater public happy without defaulting to what is clearly a template. Just so boring.

I'm weirdly passionate about this sort of stuff, I don't know why. I'd say I'm pretty business-heady a good 90% of the time. Yet I was also irrationally peeved at the simplification of the Pringles logo 😄

The reason things are “corporate” are because they sell, attract to the greatest audience and work well on many platforms, media and templates.  There is a reason why so many companies use simple stuff for logos and badges.

”The greater public happy”…they’ve done just that, since the current badge came in the craving from the fan base on many different forums and at the ground has been back to the round badge.  The club even did a survey of season ticket holders and members who preferred the round badge in both surveys.

Anyway it’s not just a round badge, it’s colours, our name, a nod to our history of the badge and the European Cup and also has the lion.  Our colours are fairly unique among the bigger clubs ie not white, red and blue.  Trying something unique would’ve just peeved off more than the few that would’ve liked it.

I married a graphic designer and find this sort of stuff really interesting. 

my favorite part is reintroducing a deeper shade of yellow as an accent color. The current version is washed out, but a deep yellow pops with claret & blue. Would love to see the new yellow used as piping on a shirt, similar to how Liverpool used their YNWA green from their crest on a shirt a couple years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 16/04/2023 at 10:00, Rolta said:

Just watching MOTD it's striking how many boring round badges there are. We had our chance to be original, but we messed up.

It's in the top three biggest **** ups related to a public vote ever I think. The others are howlers too.

Only the fans to blame. They had one great modern option and one retro nostalgic one and they picked the wrong one by a landslide. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Only the fans to blame. They had one great modern option and one retro nostalgic one and they picked the wrong one by a landslide. 

This would seem a reasonably valid opinion for the most part (although I don't agree with it), but...you've chosen the new one as your avatar - was that a mistake on your part?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

This would seem a reasonably valid opinion for the most part (although I don't agree with it), but...you've chosen the new one as your avatar - was that a mistake on your part?

Irony GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There is no Universe where that is better than the incoming one.

All-New Aston Villa Logo Launched - Footy Headlines

I didn’t like either of the options when they were presented, but the new round badge has grown on me. New owners, new manager, new North Stand, new era on and off the pitch. Will be good to finally purge the Lerner/Xia demons with it as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I didn’t like either of the options when they were presented, but the new round badge has grown on me. New owners, new manager, new North Stand, new era on and off the pitch. Will be good to finally purge the Lerner/Xia demons with it as well. 

Same here, I was initially underwhelmed, but it has grown and grown on me.

The more i see it, the more i " get it ".

Especially when looking at our crest on media, the new one has good contrast, says ASTON VILLA and is clean.

The upcoming one is better than the outgoing.

The upcoming isn't perfect and is 'safe'. I can't imagine the design house behind it are that enthused with it either. It's very cookie cutter modern club badge, the star is kind of embarrassing in how obviously it's been shoehorned in, and it's clear they've struggled with the alignment of the name (which is forgivable but annoying all the same). But it's far better than the outgoing one - which is very... passive in it's colours and doesn't read well, has odd proportions, and not having the name is a fundamental and cardinal sin.

• Like 1

Â