Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Shame the output didn't walk a better walk.

14 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Exactly. I’m not sure how the new crest could be described as ‘characterful’ or providing a ‘rich brand identity’.

If they really wanted to do this then they should have gone with a completely original design utilising the A and V in a modern, recognisable way.

Wasted opportunity

But these are your opinions but many disagree and the fact this is what the fans wanted they did do well in terms of what they are saying in the article and combined this with what the fans wanted.

They have walked the better walk and taken advantage of the opportunity, a great job all around.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But these are your opinions but many disagree and the fact this is what the fans wanted they did do well in terms of what they are saying in the article and combined this with what the fans wanted.

They have walked the better walk and taken advantage of the opportunity, a great job all around.

And this is your opinion.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Agreed and seems to be consistent with the majority given the outcome 🤷🏻‍♂️😉

You don't understand the process they went through if you think that crest was the product of a majority decision.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You don't understand the process they went through if you think that crest was the product of a majority decision.

giphy.gif

Edited by nick76

36 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The product is the outcome of a majority decision by fans being allowed to vote on key aspects of it.

But that product could have been made a million different ways.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The product is the outcome of a majority decision by fans being allowed to vote on key aspects of it.

But that product could have been made a million different ways.

Correct with one adjustment -

Many key aspects weren't voted on, and then they demoed aspects, elements and mock-ups to an Elect group of fans who had a large influence on the outcome. Even still, I doubt what we ended up with was anyone's visualisation of what the majority thought the new badge should look like, even those who like it.

The whole process was daft and IMO we've ended up with something that looks like a Canva template as a result. It's not particularly offensive but it's thoroughly underwhelming and I imagine I'd be nauseous to find out how much Dragon Rouge were paid for it.

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Correct with one adjustment -

Many key aspects weren't voted on, and then they demoed aspects, elements and mock-ups to an Elect group of fans who had a large influence on the outcome. Even still, I doubt what we ended up with was anyone's visualisation of what the majority thought the new badge should look like, even those who like it.

The whole process was daft and IMO we've ended up with something that looks like a Canva template as a result. It's not particularly offensive but it's thoroughly underwhelming and I imagine I'd be nauseous to find out how much Dragon Rouge were paid for it.

Sure, I wasn't able to vote on the final outcome.

But if I asked an agency to draw a black cat, did numerous question survey to ask a wide audience of people on the possible aspects of it, you'd imagine you could still get many different variations of that.

It just isn't to your liking. Which is fine, and is subjective.

But there is not much more the club/designers could have done to make it more democratic. 

In fact, I'm glad it wasn't more democratic.

• Like 1

Incidentally Dragon Rouge have since posted the isolated lion in blue on a claret background (well, it's not really claret, but the sentiment is there...), and it looks far better than the crest. Makes me wish we'd just gone for this. Leo solo.

But as I understand it, most of the message board admins and podcasters didn't like it, so here we are.

Villa-5-scaled-900x0-c-default.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Of course, and what people think about the design is totally subjective, but let’s face it, the crest looks like the badge from the 80s, which a lot of older Villa fans wanted.

Fair enough. I like that badge and I don’t hate the new crest either, but I don’t think it’s at all original like the design agency say, which irks me and reeks of corporate jargon BS. The first thing a lot of other football fans noted was how similar to the Chelsea badge it is, and they’re not exactly wrong. 

It was an opportunity for us to create something truly recognisable with our wonderfully unique name, but we didn’t. The majority of the older fans will be happy enough, but it not going to do us any favours regarding becoming a recognisable brand, in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Incidentally Dragon Rouge have since posted the isolated lion in blue on a claret background (well, it's not really claret, but the sentiment is there...), and it looks far better than the crest. Makes me wish we'd just gone for this. Leo solo.

But as I understand it, most of the message board admins and podcasters didn't like it, so here we are.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the standalone lion be a part of the new branding, and expect we will see it on a shirt sometime in the near future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ginko said:

but it not going to do us any favours regarding becoming a recognisable brand, in my opinion.

I disagree, the colours, the name in addition to the design is unique.  Some of the suggestions from contributors was very different but can go wrong like Leeds badge or disliked by our fans like the current badge.  Our badge is unique because of the combination of all the components and will be very recognisable and distinctive.

Anyway, each to their own.  It’s all about differing views and tastes.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

But there is not much more the club/designers could have done to make it more democratic. 

They could have got a wider input than a few middle aged blokes to start with before letting everyone vote between two options that previously had input from a rather small section of the fanbase. On the one hand they got some fan consultation group opinions, but then, they forbid them from actually sharing any info or canvassing wider opinions, which seems somewhat contrary to what the FCG was for.

There's no pleasing everyone, but if you get to vote on what's for dinner, and a focus group comes up with a choice between snails, and beans on toast, and everyone else just wants pizza, you wouldn't be hailing the democratic process that results in the two options you got to pick from ;) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

Dragon Rouge were absolutely limited by the clubs guidelines, which were themselves dictated by feedback they'd acquired up to that point. 

You only have to look at their other work to see how much more creative they could have been if they'd been given more freedom. 

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Two things ...This is a throwback to the very original ... and I like it and prefer it to the very original.
Aston-Villa-Logo-1880-500x281.png

And regarding the colours, unless you have an actual piece of material with the crest, a white light source and a spectrometer handy, I would not worry too much about whether it is an authentic claret or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Your understanding is wrong.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Insightful.

I'll expand. Whatever led you to that understanding was incorrect. As you don't describe how you came your understanding and as you have the opinions of the admin of (probably) the largest message board right in this thread, I'm just letting you know that your understanding is wrong. You might like to revisit any assumptions which led you to it.

I've never seen that image in my life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

I'll expand. Whatever led you to that understanding was incorrect. As you don't describe how you came your understanding and as you have the opinions of the admin of (probably) the largest message board right in this thread, I'm just letting you know that your understanding is wrong. You might like to revisit any assumptions which led you to it.

I've never seen that image in my life.

Was there not a third option put before FCG that had a solo lion on it?

Â