Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I love having the star and based on the survey the club did so do the majority of the fans polled.  Style wise it’s fine, neither too in your face but also you can distinguish it…so all good in my book.

Where's the next one going to go?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Where's the next one going to go?

Regardless of how many European cups we win in the future, I would always suggest keeping one. It says "we achieved the top honour".

Some clubs are gonna look silly in year 2174 adding them on with each win. 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Regardless of how many European cups we win in the future, I would always suggest keeping one. It says "we achieved the top honour".

Some clubs are gonna look silly in year 2174 adding them on with each win. 

The only clubs that have the star are Forest and Villa, basically because we have small man syndrome.  Another consideration is that it was an accomplishment by our men's team so it does not really suit the women's team kits.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The only clubs that have the star are Forest and Villa, basically because we have small man syndrome.

I’m ok with that, if it’s ok by Messi and Argentina celebrating a third star straight after winning the World Cup…

46DEA51C-F912-4D40-ACBB-70CED1734411.jpeg

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

The only clubs that have the star are Forest and Villa, basically because we have small man syndrome.

Bayern Munich have stars relating to their league titles.  

Juve used have stars but removed only because of their scandal.

Inter Milan have a star.

AC Milan have a star.

Ajax have stars…

🤔

On 11/02/2023 at 05:24, nick76 said:

Inter Milan have a star.

AC Milan have a star.

Ajax have stars…

🤔

Serie A stars are mandatory, you get one for every 10 titles you win

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2023 at 04:24, nick76 said:

Inter Milan have a star.

AC Milan have a star.

Ajax have stars…

🤔

Stars are given by the national fa of those regions. They aren't allowed in the UK officially "away" from the badge, you have to request special permission to add stars above or around a club badge on the kit to symbolise a won trophy. That is why us and forest incorporate the star into the design of the badge itself. 

My preference would be to have no star, and then have a third kit in a similar style to how teams like Liverpool do it, with just the lion stitched on with a star by it for European matches, so it still shows up as an important part of our history in a relevant competition.

7 hours ago, skarroki said:

My preference would be to have no star, and then have a third kit in a similar style to how teams like Liverpool do it, with just the lion stitched on with a star by it for European matches, so it still shows up as an important part of our history in a relevant competition.

We have ambitions again of Europe but we aren’t a European level club and it’s going to be very hard to be one with the big six and the money Newcastle have.  I just don’t see why we only have to celebrate our history in rare situations.

Each to their own though and we all have preferences, just glad the club are going in the direction they are with this decision imo.

On 10/02/2023 at 21:56, nepal_villan said:

The only clubs that have the star are Forest and Villa, basically because we have small man syndrome.  Another consideration is that it was an accomplishment by our men's team so it does not really suit the women's team kits.

We don’t have small man syndrome. There’s a long history, spanning many decades of clubs adopting a star or stars to signify domestic and continental success across many countries. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(sport_badge)

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 06:27, nick76 said:

We have ambitions again of Europe but we aren’t a European level club and it’s going to be very hard to be one with the big six and the money Newcastle have.  I just don’t see why we only have to celebrate our history in rare situations.

Each to their own though and we all have preferences, just glad the club are going in the direction they are with this decision imo.

Yeah I think it's just different ways of viewing it, I can see where you're coming from and I'm clearly in the minority. I just have never thought that the star signifies anything other than we are a historically successful club, instead of a club with any recent success. I remember getting ribbed about it in college when the announcement was made and the reason for the star on the badge was given, as one of very few villa fans in my area.

I do see it as small time. Especially from owners who refused an open top bus parade of our promotion because it wasn't worth celebrating, we were going to celebrate trophies in the future - but also we'll make a new badge referencing that thing we did 40 odd years back. 

3 hours ago, skarroki said:

Yeah I think it's just different ways of viewing it, I can see where you're coming from and I'm clearly in the minority. I just have never thought that the star signifies anything other than we are a historically successful club, instead of a club with any recent success. I remember getting ribbed about it in college when the announcement was made and the reason for the star on the badge was given, as one of very few villa fans in my area.

I do see it as small time. Especially from owners who refused an open top bus parade of our promotion because it wasn't worth celebrating, we were going to celebrate trophies in the future - but also we'll make a new badge referencing that thing we did 40 odd years back. 

It's not that deep IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

Especially from owners who refused an open top bus parade of our promotion because it wasn't worth celebrating, we were going to celebrate trophies in the future - but also we'll make a new badge referencing that thing we did 40 odd years back. 

Each to their own, but I felt we did enough to celebrate. Why should there be an open bus celebration for being the third promoted team? The bigger focus was preparing the club for a promotion that we arguably achieved above the initial timescales. For me, having a bus parade for finishing 5th would be an example of small time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/13-march-17-march-2023/aston-villa-fc-rebrands-dragon-rouge/

Dragon Rouge has repositioned Aston Villa FC, “reigniting authentic brand assets” including the crest, as part of a wider strategy to reach next generation audiences.

The studio says it came out on top following a tender process initially involving over ten agencies. Dragon Rouge creative director Becky King says that the project gave the studio an opportunity to build its portfolio in this area, as it has also worked with French football clubs PSG and Lille.

AVFC_Embroidery_Badge.png

“Football clubs can no longer think of crest and colours only. They must think like global entertainment brands and need their design assets to support that ambition”, says King. To achieve this, she says that clubs require “a flexible, characterful, rich brand identity” that has the ability to appeal to “next generation audiences” and a variety of channels as well as considering future developments and plans.

Interesting interview with somebody from Dragon Rouge on the crest redesign, also sounds like there's more to come in terms of updating the brand going forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/13-march-17-march-2023/aston-villa-fc-rebrands-dragon-rouge/

Interesting interview with somebody from Dragon Rouge on the crest redesign, also sounds like there's more to come in terms of updating the brand going forward.

Great quotes. Like all marketing / branding companies, they talk a good talk. Shame the output didn't walk a better walk.

• Like 2

I liked the new crest when it was announced, but with all the feel good factor and our transformation under Unai Emery, now I LOVE IT!
It just feels like a symbol of a fresh beginning for the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Great quotes. Like all marketing / branding companies, they talk a good talk. Shame the output didn't walk a better walk.

Exactly. I’m not sure how the new crest could be described as ‘characterful’ or providing a ‘rich brand identity’.

If they really wanted to do this then they should have gone with a completely original design utilising the A and V in a modern, recognisable way.

Wasted opportunity, but at least we seem to be addressing the football side of things, which is obviously more important.

Â