Match Thread: Villa v Man Utd

limpid

On the balance of things I'd say 2-1 is a just scoreline, but of course it's some jammy goal that gives the a lifeline.

I agree with what other have stated about Matiusz Cashinski. Getting lit up by Garnacho

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Think we were very fortunate to be 2 up. However they've done nothing to deserve a goal, a total fluke. 

Buendia and Watkins been poor. 

Tbf I'm Watkins biggest critic but he had a good half IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, thunderball said:

What ever happens, we look better and more organised which bodes well.

Agreed. Positive signs today of what he’s trying to implement. Just need the players to develop more with the system and bring in better players. Bright future here.

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

First big test for Unai. The usual script would have us caving from herein and ending up losing about 2-4.

What can he do to revitalise our attacking play and strengthen our defense?

Luckily I have massive confidence in him more than anyone to do this.

Fantastic first 30 minutes and then they came into it in the final 15. We’ve done ever so well though, just a few sloppy passes letting us down.

Need to keep the intensity up and keep our concentration. We can do this.

• Like 2

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

We are fine, of course they were gonna get a jammy deflected goal. 

We're not making mistakes, Buendia the only below par performance for me, and that's me being harsh. 

Buendia a few loose passes when things were unravelling a bit for us but he did some very good stuff too

• Like 1

With some composure we'd have been 4-0.

With some composure we can score two more quite easily. Just like fear, confidence spreads through the side.

Buendia gets a rollocking and 5 more mins for me. Stop shovelling lazy passes off, hold the ball.

What a half!!!  I can't remember us ever being that patient and composed on the ball...  A great example is looking at how we responded to their high press early on before our first goal was vastly different from Gerrard's methods and even Smith's.  You'd sense that eventually they'd get impatient and boot the ball up the field into the channel eventually, but by slowing down and continuing to be patient, we'd eventually find a wide open fullback to start the attack up the field.

Martinez is playing a blinder today.  Unlucky about the defection just before halftime, but Emi looks unstoppable today.  

Digne looks like the fullback who was getting called up to the French national team again today.  

Bailey is mercurial...  You sense something special is going to happen every time he gets the ball.  It doesn't always come off, but when it does it's magical.  

Emery has been a big presence on the sidelines directing and encouraging the boys all game.  Great start to his spell as our manager.  Let's see if we can fine tune some things this half and walk away with all three points today!  UTV!!!