The Coffee Thread

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, El Zen said:

F*** me, instant coffee is so vile I have no idea how anyone can seriously say they prefer the stuff (I know plenty who do, my dad included.) 

I need my morning cup before breakfast, and since I’m currently in a hotel room, instant is all I can get. It’s so disgusting, I wish I’d gone for tea instead. 

haven't had instant coffee in years. it's grim and in a hotel room i just wait until i go down for breakfast (or have a tea)

i've been used to my espresso machine for so long now that even a filter coffee doesn't cut it for me

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

haven't had instant coffee in years. it's grim and in a hotel room i just wait until i go down for breakfast (or have a tea)

i've been used to my espresso machine for so long now that even a filter coffee doesn't cut it for me

I prefer filter coffee above anything else. Just hits the spot perfectly in terms of both aroma, temperature, quantity. I used to have a Nespresso machine back when they were all the rage, but it’s Moccamaster or gtfo for me. 

• Like 1

Used to have instant coffee because of the speed but, since getting one of the Nespresso pod-jobs, instant tastes horrifically bitter.  I'll still have it if needed, but it's (as bicks says) a completely different drink really.

Would go for "proper coffee" but that's just a **** faff that isn't worth the extra time/effort/money IMO.  Maybe because I don't love coffee enough - 1 cup a day is fine.

This is the only instant I'll drink. If not, I'll have a tea instead. 

Been looking at getting a mokka for when I WFH but I want to try a cup of coffee from one before I buy one.

imageOfProduct id = 11752011

5 hours ago, Milfner said:

This is the only instant I'll drink. If not, I'll have a tea instead. 

Been looking at getting a mokka for when I WFH but I want to try a cup of coffee from one before I buy one.

As a pretentious coffee rocket polisher, I personally wouldn't recommend a moka pot to most people.

They're pretty fiddly to get consistently good results from, a pain to clean, and unless you've an interest in grinding your own coffee, you'll struggle because supermarket coffee is ground far too coarse to get anything approaching good results. You're likely to get an under-extracted quite sour cup of coffee from a moka pot with pre-ground coffee. This doesn't apply if you're grinding your own coffee, or getting coffee from a specialty shop who ask your brew method and grind accordingly, but if you're buying from a supermarket, I think you're going to have a bad time.

My personal recommendation to anyone that wants good coffee, with minimal work, and consistent results would be some kind of immersion brew, with the affordable options below, in my order of preference:

3. French press - Cons, no paper filtration can lead to a textured drink a lot of people don't enjoy so much, and it's a complete ballache to clean

2. Aeropress, bit more expensive, way easier to clean, and if you do get a bit more into coffee brewing you have a lot of options with this thing. Less faff than a french press, still a bit fiddly and messy, IMO, but I happily drank coffee from mine for years until I found...

1. My go to daily brewer, the Clever Dripper. Chuck your coffee in, chuck your water in, leave it for 2-3 minutes, put it on your cup and let it drain. Cleanup is lifting the paper filter out, chucking it in the bin, and giving the brewer a rinse. 

At about £20, it's the cheapest, less messy, easiest and most consistent way to get reliably good coffee, IMO, I can't speak highly enough of it. You'll get a better cup the better and fresher the coffee you put in, but immersion brewers are vastly more forgiving than moka pots, espresso machines, V60s, etc.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

We were given a Tassimo, the pods are a bit pricey though.

I did find someone on ebay selling 80 pods for £15 though, great bargain.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As a pretentious coffee rocket polisher, I personally wouldn't recommend a moka pot to most people.

I was given one of these too, it makes Lyons ground coffee from Home Bargains at 79p a bag taste very nice.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I was given one of these too, it makes Lyons ground coffee from Home Bargains at 79p a bag taste very nice.

Tbf, they can make good coffee, but it takes the appropriate coffee grinds, and a bit of research and good technique. They're not completely useless, just not very forgiving, and not worth the faff if you don't enjoy the process of brewing with one

I've got one, but I have somewhere around a dozen brewers, and I maybe bring that out once or twice a year as a bit of a nerdy hobby :) 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maccies coffee is great, and it’s about half the price of Costa/Starbucks too.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

In terms of chain coffee, I'd have Coffee #1 and Nero fighting for the title. Starbucks and Maccies pushing for Europe, while Costa is small heath. 

When I worked at Maccies in the late 80s the Coffee was awful. Proper disgusting. I think it's different now though. We used to have massive bags of ground coffee with a monster sheet of filter paper. I think it's proper beans now? 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

When I worked at Maccies in the late 80s the Coffee was awful. Proper disgusting. I think it's different now though. We used to have massive bags of ground coffee with a monster sheet of filter paper. I think it's proper beans now? 

Yeah it is

So proper it drinks in town

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

I recently purchased some high quality beans from Guatemala, roasted about 5 weeks ago. 

When you brew fresh, high quality coffee, it's like you're drinking a different category of beverage. If you drink it black with no sweetener, it's like hot fruit juice but without the sugar of fruit juice. You really taste the fruit of the plant, and the beans are actually considered the fruit of the coffee plant. 

I don't drink it in the morning because I prefer my regular supermarket coffee to be my morning workhorse. I've been drinking the Guatemalan stuff for my midday cup on weekends, after lunch. I'm more alert then and can better appreciate it. Not sure I perceive the "flavor notes" on the info card. That might be a level of pretentiousness I'd rather not aspire to. 😁

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Tim Hortons Vanilla Latte is criminally good.

I don't want to know what goes in it, but every sip is like a thousand cuddles from a group of fairies.

This is the coffee thread, not the flavoured milk thread 

:trollface:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

I recently purchased some high quality beans from Guatemala, roasted about 5 weeks ago. 

When you brew fresh, high quality coffee, it's like you're drinking a different category of beverage. If you drink it black with no sweetener, it's like hot fruit juice but without the sugar of fruit juice. You really taste the fruit of the plant, and the beans are actually considered the fruit of the coffee plant. 

I don't drink it in the morning because I prefer my regular supermarket coffee to be my morning workhorse. I've been drinking the Guatemalan stuff for my midday cup on weekends, after lunch. I'm more alert then and can better appreciate it. Not sure I perceive the "flavor notes" on the info card. That might be a level of pretentiousness I'd rather not aspire to. 😁

Never ground the beans but do use a cafetiere. Is there much difference? I always thought beans would be a bit cheaper as not pre ground but if anything it's more expensive 

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

The coffee cherry is the fruit of the coffee plant. The beans are the seed of the fruit.

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The coffee cherry is the fruit of the coffee plant. The beans are the seed of the fruit.

spacer.png

I think that might be checkmate!

Anyhoo, you can really taste the fruit of this coffee. My guess is that because of it's freshness, the beans retain some residue from the cherry?

Â