Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

This isn't the Liverpool from 3 years ago.

Been very mediocre this season.

They are currently 6th. Lost 4 and drawn 4.

Today was the strongest team they could field. They’ve had a lot of injuries this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

We've made progress in just a short space of time. 

We look comfortable a midtable/top half team since Gerrard left. 

With his CV he deserves a lot of time to make us his team. 

Totally agree. It’s been a LOT of progress. Emery is the answer. There are a lot of questions around our playing staff and recruitment though…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

Playing a high line against the speed of Salah and Nunez was always going to be a kamikaze. I'm not sure why Emery chose this tactic?

Reminded me of the first half tactics Saudi Arabia played Vs Argentina. 

If we had a competent striker, it would have worked.

Emery is an absolute top drawer manager. Imagine what he could do with some top drawer players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

Not gonna lie I'm pissed off with the lack of subs tonight. 

Sorry, one more post. When will people realise making loads of subs isn’t the answer. There’s a reason no manager in the world makes subs “at the right time”. It’s so so so rare that bringing on a sub makes a game changing difference. We could have drawn that game but for players making stupid mistakes. Bringing on subs and upsetting the flow is not the answer. This idea that you can eg just bring in Ings and he will bang in chances Bailey and Watkins missed is just a pipe dream. 

I was very disappointed with the early concession and the poor finishing although agree with those who say this is a player quality issue, rather than anything to do with Emery. At times I thought we looked very good and were the better team even. What clearly let us down was attrocious finishing but then how often have we said that about this team?! 

Watkins is such a conundrum as he gets himself into great positions quite often but of course misses far too many chances to be truly effective. Bailey was decent apart once again from the finishing & final ball which was abysmal. McGinn was his usual huff & puff but is simply too slow deciding what to do when in some great positions. Olson made a few good stops but worried me greatly. He clearly has issues to his game and for me should have done better with his distribution, decision making and one or two other things too. It was the poor finishing which cost us the game though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I was very disappointed with the early concession and the poor finishing although agree with those who say this is a player quality issue, rather than anything to do with Emery. At times I thought we looked very good and were the better team even. What clearly let us down was attrocious finishing but then how often have we said that about this team?! 

Watkins is such a conundrum as he gets himself into great positions quite often but of course misses far too many chances to be truly effective. Bailey was decent apart once again from the finishing & final ball which was abysmal. McGinn was his usual huff & puff but is simply too slow deciding what to do when in some great positions. Olson made a few good stops but worried me greatly. He clearly has issues to his game and for me should have done better with his distribution, decision making and one or two other things too. It was the poor finishing which cost us the game though.

It is.

It was poor defending too....aptly endorsed by Mings.

coaching is one thing.....but I don't think UE will improve this team without better players.

• Like 1

It was one of those strange games imo - we played well enough at times and imo for what it’s worth I believe that if Watkins opportunities had fallen to Ings, we could have been looking at a different scoreline, but equally I don’t think we ever really looked comfortable at the back, it felt like Liverpool always looked more likely to score when going forward.

Disappointing yes - but also some positives for me  

• Like 1

I like Emery, hope he can make us good/decent/etc, but I've watched Villa for over fifty years, and we really are a manager's graveyard. 

We break them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I like Emery, hope he can make us good/decent/etc, but I've watched Villa for over fifty years, and we really are a manager's graveyard. 

We break them. 

Seems you are the common denominator mate 😜

I’m the same but only forty years so can’t be my fault, definitely yours 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

He already has improved us.

We are 10x the team that Gerrard was putting out.

Yep we needed good coaching to see which players still weren’t good enough, we are slowly starting to see that now.  Before that we didn’t know whether is was bad coaching or the player.

• Like 1

Â