Unai Emery

PeterSw

Let me be crystal clear - Unai Emery is an elite manager. He is the best of the best. A coach, a tactrician a great man, he gets us (his Saturday evening instagran posts are becoming box office).

I love the Sultan of Unai 

Edited by ccfcman
  • Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how we're flying under the radar completely atm. Just doing our business without all the overhyped fanfare. Doesn't add unnecessary pressure. 

If Stevie G was pulling in these results, Sky, Talksport and the like would be going crazy. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I like how we're flying under the radar completely atm. Just doing our business without all the overhyped fanfare. Doesn't add unnecessary pressure. 

If Stevie G was pulling in these results, Sky, Talksport and the like would be going crazy

They certainly wouldn't be saying we're 11 points off relegation.

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Feel free to ratio this muppet on Twitter 🤣

Way too early to call out his insignificant prediction, unless avoiding possible, even probable, relegation counts as the 'good move' (which I suppose it does!), but I'm guessing that's not want he's getting at.

Goldbridge will be relying on the high probability that Emery won't be our Ferguson or Wenger, so even if Emery leaves after half a bad season in a few years time, or after some success, then leaves us 'in the lurch' to manage Barcelona, Goldbridge will be saying he predicted it.

Best just to ignore him, in my opinion.

• Like 1

The “who’s to say Gerrard wouldn’t have got those results” crowd in the media seem to have gone a bit quiet. 
To me Emery is Smith 2.0, very likeable guy, positive about the club, and a tactical step up on the great work Smith did. I try not think where we would be if we had got Emery after Smith now and not wasted that year.

I think it’s positive that we aren’t rushing in to sign players just for the sake of it, and looking for targets that will genuinely improve us, I think the fact that Emery actually owns a football club and has a general understanding of how things work helps.

22 hours ago, StuL said:

A very good game yesterday. I'd say our best 0-90 mins performance under Emery so far. We had a lot of the ball and controlled the game very well (especially the first half). I'm looking forward to seeing how we build on it.

Does anyone know why the extra GK was put on the bench instead of an outfield player?

It depends how your see it. We had a lot of possession but didn't create a glut of chances. The matches prior to Wolves were more entertaining and we were scoring more, but had less control.

It might be that teams now have a better understanding of how we set up and are making it difficult for us to play how we want. Emery will have to keep changing things to avoid being predictable. 

I wonder whether this is less a natural bias, so much as the natural character of the Midlands. I think in general terms it is fair to apply the stereotype to Northern and Southern people (and thus fans and teams) that they have a chip on their shoulder, or at least some kind of north south fixation. In my biased experience, growing up in the Midlands, Midlanders just seem to get up and go about their lives without the said chip on their shoulder. I reckon ultimately it makes it easy to build big narratives up around northern and southern teams when you do a media thing. Like when I went to uni (in birmingham) it was all just like northerners and southerners arguing about which region was best and stuff. Midlanders just never cared too much about that. Probably goes back as far as the Birmingham enlightenment. Far more globally influential than the actual enlightenment but I ain't never heard no body talkin bout it. 

While we're mid table and not top half,  the media will continue to treat us as a nothing side. Even when we are top half they'll assume we're only visiting. 

It's more exciting to focus on a top 6 side doing rubbish (Chelsea, Liverpool), or big teams fighting relegation (Southampton, Everton, Leicester, West Ham). They'll keep us in that second bracket until we're clearly in the top bracket because it's the only story worth writing about in their limited minds. 

Let's face it, mid table isn't exciting. But we know the detail of the monumental change that has got us there in such a short space of time. The media are too busy accommodating the masses of bland ignorance to actually care about the detail behind us.

Emery also isn't a liked character in the English media for whatever reason. So all this means we'll continue getting ignored until we're top 6. And even then, because of Emery, they'll write about us like we don't belong there instead of the fawning that Newcastle get. But who cares, as long as we keep winning and Unai keeps delivering, let then write whatever the f they like. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

While we're mid table and not top half,  the media will continue to treat us as a nothing side. Even when we are top half they'll assume we're only visiting. 

It's more exciting to focus on a top 6 side doing rubbish (Chelsea, Liverpool), or big teams fighting relegation (Southampton, Everton, Leicester, West Ham). They'll keep us in that second bracket until we're clearly in the top bracket because it's the only story worth writing about in their limited minds. 

Let's face it, mid table isn't exciting. But we know the detail of the monumental change that has got us there in such a short space of time. The media are too busy accommodating the masses of bland ignorance to actually care about the detail behind us.

Emery also isn't a liked character in the English media for whatever reason. So all this means we'll continue getting ignored until we're top 6. And even then, because of Emery, they'll write about us like we don't belong there instead of the fawning that Newcastle get. But who cares, as long as we keep winning and Unai keeps delivering, let then write whatever the f they like. 

Frankly, good. I'm glad we're flying under the radar. 

As long as our management are quietly getting the fact that we are absolutely god damn giga gigantic across to any potential signings. 

Ings and Watkins. The media were still banging on even a week ago that they could be the perfect partnership. Emery sells Ings as he can see they just do not work in the best interests of the team  . Its that decisiveness that is the mark of the man. Sets him apart.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Keep in mind the current media narratives around the Premier League:

• Arsenal's Cinderella season where they seem to be running away with the League under Arteta's leadership
  • Man City is struggling to keep up, even with the Haaland's unstoppable prowess in front of goal, because of "luxury players" like Grealish not pulling their weight
  • Newcastle are flying high ahead of schedule with their new Oil money and Almiron's incredible form
  • Man United seem to have turned a corner since they sent Ronaldo packing 
  • Levy is having yet another falling out with his manager at Spurs with Conte reportedly leaving at the end of the season because of lackluster form
  • Liverpool and Chelsea are a dumpster fire right now, with Chelsea's new ownership throwing ridiculous money at any young wonderkid on Football Manager 23
  • Everton's fan revolt and Lampard's sacking this week, which was a long time coming
  • West Ham's collapse after several seasons of "good" football under Moyes

Honestly, compared to the drama surrounding the other clubs, we just aren't that newsworthy at the moment.  Our good form is starting to look like it's more than a new manager bounce/honeymoon period, but nobody will take notice until we actually climb up into the top 7, IMO.  Hell, nobody is talking about Brighton, who seem to be continuing their good form without Potter.  What about Fulham and their incredible first half of the season?  There is more "exciting" things to talk about than Villa right now.  TBH, it's a good thing.  The squad can keep their heads down and focus under Emery's guidance and hopefully we can slip into European contention quietly this spring.  

Really good post that, makes a lot of sense!

• Like 1

I was very confident that this was going to be a good appointment, but Unai and the team are exceeding even my expectations....

Honestly think we can finish top half, one more signing for the first team would be a major boost.

• Like 1

Â