Unai Emery

PeterSw

I know it’s cliché, but I’m optimistic that Unai will learn more about this squad from performances like tonight than he will about performances like Sunday’s. 
We will be absolutely fine, but hopefully that tonight will help cool the jets of some of our fan base who we’re getting a bit carried away off the back of Sunday’s win. 
It’s next season that I’m really looking forward to, we will have two transfer windows behind us and Unai will have his squad that know how to play his way.

• Like 4

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emery - De Zerbi will be a fascinating battle. Two great footballing brains. Emery will absolutely not abandon his strategy to play out from the back, they’ll get better at it or they won’t play. Worried that Olsen is our keeper for a month. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YLN said:

I think Emery needs to start throwing players under the bus more. That's the only criticism I'd have of his new regime. Not enough talk of players looking him in the eye

Read this once, thought, "wtf?"

Read this twice, liked immediately. 

4 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Olsen was the opposite of a sweeper keeper. I don’t think I have ever seen a keeper so rooted to his line. First half balls landing half way in his box and still not coming to collect. I might be being critical but the first goal Bruno was 4 yards inside the area having ran from near the half way line before he crossed it and the last goal I think if that is emi in goal he collects that cross and smashed mctominey out the way

Yep, strange one from Emery.  Why did we play with such a high line if the keeper wasn't instructed to come out? Surely playing with such a high line away from home is suicidal unless you are an elite club, we should have sat in a mid or low block and tried to counter them.

His comments were interesting last night - 'We need to take more calm with the ball, more possession and break the press. We were in a good moment for the second half.'

So many times we gave possession back to them too easily. I think it was Watkins' comments about Gerrard that he and Ings struggled because they were always competing for long balls played forward. 

There's a definite and noticeable change in trying to play ourselves up the pitch and beat the press more. Will take time.

Also explains why we did so well at the weekend - because Utd/Ronaldo didn't press as much. We need to be better on Sunday because after seeing that performance Brighton are going to press high I would have thought. 

Theres always been a soft under-belly at Villa. When things are going well we are very good, but as soon as we go behind we just fall apart. He has to address this and our shocking away form. I would not be suprised if we lost at Brighton but Im hoping for a solid performance. 

I am extremely impressed by this man.

We were switched on mentally in the first half and that enabled us to frustrate United and execute a deployed strategy. 

The second half we started well but we lost our way mentally and the changes contributed to our downfall.

Our players need to be rotated and UE needs to know his players in a match day situation.

1649710574_Screenshot2022-11-11at09_41_38.png.cde7f0af62c01953555533449f77471a.png

Give him time with the squad and the right players in January and this ^^^ will happen in my opinion.

• Like 2

He can legitimately now say that he has given all of these players a chance, thus reducing the chance of dissent or division in the squad. Next time one of the second team turns up in his office demanding why he's not playing more, he can say 'let's have a little walk to the video analysis room, shall we?'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we are going to coach our way out (alone) of our present situation, it will help sure , having an Elite coach, does.....but he is not a miracle worker.

This team needs surgery.....some of the players, we think are ok, are not taking us to the next level.

You say that but we managed to beat Man Utd comfortably with our first XI. Coaching will absolutely lift us up the league.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we are going to coach our way out (alone) of our present situation, it will help sure , having an Elite coach, does.....but he is not a miracle worker.

This team needs surgery.....some of the players, we think are ok, are not taking us to the next level.

Depends what you define as our "present situation".

From my pov, our present situation is that we're in a bit of a relegation battle with players who's confidence had been rocked by the previous manager. Coaching can certainly help us with that one.

Though on your second point about going to the next level, I do agree our squad needs work. So many of the players who played last night are just not good enough.

- Olsen
- Augustinson (sp)
- Chambers

Those 3 especially really showed they're not quite up to it. But i think Emery is the type of manager that players would want to come and play under so I don't see it being a huge issue bringing in new players providing we're clear of a relegation battle. 

Our strongest first 11 is pretty decent by all accounts. It's just beyond that needs work imo. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Â