Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Are the players now allowed Ketchup? 

I've a suspicion that was Gerrards downfall. I would want to **** over a bloke who stopped my Red Sauce. 

Did he ban brown sauce? If so, would’ve given him a lifetime contract. That stuff is horrible

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's hilarious to look back on Emery's reign as Arsenal manager and the perception is still that he was a flop...

• Lost his first two games to Man City & Chelsea, then went on a 22 game unbeaten run in all competitions
  • Took Arsenal to the Europa League Final where they lost to Sarri's Chelsea
  • Finished 5th with 70 points, 3 points off 3rd place - Highest points total/placement in the post Wenger era
  • Started 2nd season well, but ran into a 7 game winless run resulting in him being sacked at the end of November
  • Finished with a 46-16-19 record and a 55.1% win percentage

Arsenal fans were touched in the head at that point. They even hounded out Wenger. It took the early Arteta period to properly humble them. If this run happened last season instead of directly after Wenger there'd have been a much different perception.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KMitch said:

It's hilarious to look back on Emery's reign as Arsenal manager and the perception is still that he was a flop...

• Lost his first two games to Man City & Chelsea, then went on a 22 game unbeaten run in all competitions
  • Finished 5th with 70 points, 3 points off 3rd place - Highest points total/placement in the post Wenger era
  • Started 2nd season well, but ran into a 7 game winless run resulting in him being sacked at the end of November

I think the Europa league final loss and the manner of the loss was huge and pissed off a lot of arsenal fans especially as he had already won it 3 times with Sevilla.  If he had won that then majority of arsenal fans would have considered it a successful season as they would have got champions league football. The following season I think they may have also been a bit more patient with him (a little bit more patient).

Luckily for him if we manage to get top half this season it will be a success.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Can I copy paste to some doubters on FB

5 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I didn't pay a lot of attention to him at Arsenal but always felt he was on a hiding to nothing there after Wenger. Perhaps if they'd have given him the same time and patience afforded to Arteta, he would have been fine. 

He clearly appreciates trust and being allowed to do his thing rather than everything micromanaged for him elsewhere. 

This feels like such a good fit. It will take time for things to really get going but at the same time, I think he'll be able to get a far more coherent tune out of what we've got now. 

He seems like a bloody good bloke too who just wants to do well for others and not his own ego. 

Superb. 

Completely agree the record and pedigree speaks for its self but he does seem like a really nice down to earth human Which is by no means a must have criteria for a manager but after gerrard and his lack of any attempt to make people warm to him I think this guy will have us all loving him instantly. 

I think most of us already do

57 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

What are people's thoughts if he chooses to primarily stick with 4-4-2?

It depends on how we act in and out of possession. I said this under Gerrard as well, but no-one puts 11 bodies on the field before kick-off and then keeps the shape trough the game. It's all about the shape we take in different phases of the gama. That is all I care about in terms of formation.  

Edited by daft
  • Like 1

Having read/watched all of the articles/vids about UEs set up, it is obvious that he favours both 4231 and 442 with the latter used most recently at Villarreal. Now, that could be because he felt it suited the squad more as opposed to adapting the squad to that formation. 

It will be very interesting to see how he sets us up….with the CMs we have I have a feeling he may initially use a 4231 as it will give us defensive stability in his early few games…..and then he can review during WC and switch to a 442 if he believes it will get the best out of the players (and any new recruits in Jan). 

I don’t think we will be seeing overtly high pressing, attacking football as he is clearly a pragmatic coach first and foremost. Probably a more counter attacking style. This is in no way a criticism as the results/trophies he has achieved speaks volumes for his footballing philosophy. Let’s trust the guy and his process. There will be ups and downs obviously as players adapt to his tactics. For the first time in years we have a genuine tactically astute head coach who gets the best out of the players he has. Bring it on Unai. 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 02:19, villa4europe said:

Him previously rejecting Newcastles blood money is a sweet cherry on the top

He didn't reject Newcastle seems he wanted the job but Villareal dug there heals in and said no then inserted a release cause as a compromise in case anyone came calling before his contract was up next summer, Newcastle's loss is our gain!

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if it works it works, my first thought would be we dont have the players for it and its not whats best suited to this current squad

if we went out and got a £50m+ proper winger to balance on the other side of bailey then I'd be more than happy, said before i think there is still a clamour at VP for old fashioned fast tricky wingers who get bums off seats, more so than tippy tappy controlling possession football

Buendia used to play RM for Norwich and come in. Could see that working with Cash bombing on and Bailey on the other flank (could work the other way too with Digne). 

However I do agree thst 4231 suits the squad better and I prefer it generally as a formation. 

Just now, zab6359 said:

He didn't reject Newcastle seems he wanted the job but Villareal dug there heals in and said no then inserted a release cause as a compromise in case anyone came calling before his contract was up next summer, Newcastle's loss is our gain!

who said that?

all spanish football contracts have minimum release clauses in them

to be fair to them when they approached him they were bottom of the league without the supporting infrastructure above him in place whilst villarreal were doing well in the CL and ok in the league, saw somewhere that they made the approach to him the day of a CL game which probably wasnt a good idea

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I just hope he can finally be the manager to break the Villa Park Managerial Curse. No manager seems to come out of Villa with a better reputation than when they joined. 

We have had managers who have left to manage international teams. I can only think of 2 though 😃

Â