Unai Emery

PeterSw

4 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

We have had managers who have left to manage international teams. I can only think of 2 though 😃

haha, I was referring to recent history but appreciate I didn't clarify that :D 

In my time of watching Villa (which probably started with Gregory) then I don't think a single manager has gone on to do anything of note. 

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

who said that?

all spanish football contracts have minimum release clauses in them

to be fair to them when they approached him they were bottom of the league without the supporting infrastructure above him in place whilst villarreal were doing well in the CL and ok in the league, saw somewhere that they made the approach to him the day of a CL game which probably wasnt a good idea

Think it was Simon Jordan who suggested something like that on TalkSport.

I'm not sure if he was speaking it as fact, or speculating.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I'm actually glad he starts next week.

Newcastle are roided up to the nines at the mo and a trip away there is a crap way to start.

Bring him in to start in front of a packed out, rocking VP and have him deliver our first home League win over Man Utd in 27 years!

If Danks can mastermind a farewell away dismantling of the barcodes he'll become an urban legend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As he told Villareal his decision on Friday, I do wonder if he had any influence on the team setup against Brentford. We did play his counter attacking direct 4231. Maybe not but it did seem quite bold to change the system completely from Danks.

So i guess Emery could be at Bodymoor Heath for like normal working hours every day and meet the squad and gett his feet under the table, maybe start setting up tactics etc... of course all on a purely volunteer basis until 1st November.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

So i guess Emery could be at Bodymoor Heath for like normal working hours every day and meet the squad and gett his feet under the table, maybe start setting up tactics etc... of course all on a purely volunteer basis until 1st November.

He'll almost certainly be in the stands watching the game.  And if he happens to say some tactical analysis out loud. Well, nothing we can do about that.

22 hours ago, PieFacE said:

So how often has Emery won his first game in charge? Cos it would be incredible if he manages to beat Man United.

don't know where to find that info

That would be scenes!!! As ive stated before if he can pull that off i’ll personally build him a statue behind the Holte End as beating Manchester united at villa park is something I’ve never witnessed in my lifetime 😓 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I'm actually glad he starts next week.

Newcastle are roided up to the nines at the mo and a trip away there is a crap way to start.

Bring him in to start in front of a packed out, rocking VP and have him deliver our first home League win over Man Utd in 27 years!

27 years!!!!! can you believe that statistic, absolutely atrocious against them at home we are, i always think of the close games we had to winning and throwing it away almost scripted, but with Emery i now have faith now that our record against the top 4/5 teams will remarkably improve

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He could pay 6-4-0 for all I care. If it works then I'm happy

This is a big difference between an unknown unproven manager and a known successful elite manager. With Gerrard we'd question everything because he had not shown that he knew what he was doing, and ultimately were proven right, whereas with Emery he could field a line up of only right backs (hello Southgate) and we'd probably see it and think "wow he must have some clever masterplan and if it doesn't work it must be the players fault" because he's proven he knows what he's doing over a long career 

2 minutes ago, weedman said:

This is a big difference between an unknown unproven manager and a known successful elite manager. With Gerrard we'd question everything because he had not shown that he knew what he was doing, and ultimately were proven right, whereas with Emery he could field a line up of only right backs (hello Southgate) and we'd probably see it and think "wow he must have some clever masterplan and if it doesn't work it must be the players fault" because he's proven he knows what he's doing over a long career 

The results on the pitch will speak for themselves. If he does something strange but we're getting results and/or we can see it working and the team growing then people will get it.

With Gerrard we knew that we were going nowhere. Nothing he ever did suggested there was a plan or we were working towards something

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Was only thinking the same yesterday, Presumably this will happen. Wouldn't be surprised either if he's actually in the stands for the Newcastle game. 

Â