Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Unai.

This feels like a solid, sensible, quietly impressive appointment. My lack of interest and knowledge of football outside of England is informing (or not informing) that feeling. The excitement elsewhere makes for promising reading.

A manager with a track record of success at other clubs, funds to be made available to improve and reinforce an already capable squad. Feels like we’re in safe hands and that hopefully we have seen the worst this season has to offer.

Good stuff.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

For me part of his firing was the inevitable let down after Wenger. Same with Moyes after Fergie - if he had been given more time, who knows...

I think it was a few things, the post Wenger patsy and the decline had already started, they did have players who took the piss look how many of them from that team they just gave away under arteta to get rid of them, the sporting director he worked under got sacked for dodgy transfer dealings, at the time arsenal and him became one big meme and a joke and it snowballed

Thing is his full season in charge they weren't that bad... 5th, 1 point off 4th 2 points off 3rd and the EL final

I seem to think the likes of PP and lad bible have a lot to answer for with arsenal, social media enjoyed and exaggerated their demise

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think it was a few things, the post Wenger patsy and the decline had already started, they did have players who took the piss look how many of them from that team they just gave away under arteta to get rid of them, the sporting director he worked under got sacked for dodgy transfer dealings, at the time arsenal and him became one big meme and a joke and it snowballed

Thing is his full season in charge they weren't that bad... 5th, 1 point off 4th 2 points off 3rd and the EL final

I seem to think the likes of PP and lad bible have a lot to answer for with arsenal, social media enjoyed and exaggerated their demise

As he said in his interview with Ballague, he had crippling injuries to key players in his second season and they spread themselves thin over multiple fronts.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So do we know anything about emerys back room team?

When gerrards was coming there was a big deal about beale coming so wondering who emery has?

That’s because Gerrard is useless without them. I’m sure Emery has a couple people he likes working with, but you don’t hear about them because HE is the brains, not his coaches.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He also managed David Villa.

Dafuq.

This combined with what Haaland is doing, wake up guys! They are trying to tell us we live in a simulation!

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

1st November??

Blummin' Brexit.

Hmmmmm. Work permit issues are specifically mentioned in the press release. 

Lyric said earlier that the announcement was being delayed due to work permit issues. 

I think he's the real deal. I thought Lyric was just words before. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

my only concern is the GK coach, we wouldnt get rid of Cuts would we???

Yeah i cant see them getting rod of cutler he looks popular at villa. But guess will be doen to what emery wants.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

That’s because Gerrard is useless without them. I’m sure Emery has a couple people he likes working with, but you don’t hear about them because HE is the brains, not his coaches.

Yeah thats a good point. As long as he has his no 2 with him thats whats important.  Dont mind mcphee leaving but id keep danks definitely 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

From an Arsenal fan I know:

I think he might do OK there. He thrives when he works with an underdog team who expect to have less than 50% possession. He doesn’t know how to coach vs. inferior teams who set up in a low block and shun possession. His whole coaching philosophy is based on countering the other team’s strength, but that doesn’t work very often at Arsenal or PSG.

He’ll do much better than Stevie G, but the football will be dull.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Nas: why the **** did you convince me to hire this clown Gerrard? 

Purslow: I got the best young manager in world football. 

Nas: did you ****?! He couldn't even manage to get a decent haircut. 

Purslow: OK. I'd like to see you do better. 

Nas: hold my pint. 

spacer.png

Purslow in the dust! 🤣

Â