Pre match

Demitri_C

Good to see a stronger midfield.

I would have been happier having jj in for Bailey so the midfield has an even more robust feel to it as we know he can burst forward but also track back unlike Bailey.

At least there is no jj and mcginn playing from the start which has rarely if even worked for more than the odd game in 8.

Mcginn can still be brought on if chasing a game but only at the tip of the midfield but would rather sanson starts being given minutes to get him match fit.

Yeah, it's really insane to think that a majority of fans (on here, twitter, and everywhere else) were calling to try something like a 4-2-3-1 and yet Gerrard never tried it at all. First game after he's gone, and the interm coach goes to it. Bemusing

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

This is the lineup Gerrard should have at least tried, and you would have thought he would to save his job. I really hope it is more balanced and works for us. it's up to the players now, make it work.

He wouldn’t have dropped McGinn if someone had a gun to his head. 

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yeah, it's really insane to think that a majority of fans (on here, twitter, and everywhere else) were calling to try something like a 4-2-3-1 and yet Gerrard never tried it at all. First game after he's gone, and the interm coach goes to it. Bemusing

I might be wrong but I think he may have tried it once at least I can recall but it was with players all out of position, McGinn was the one of the holding midfielders irrc... Todays lineup looks balanced and makes sense

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just thinking.

Surely the board, Purslow etc will have been asking for feedback from the likes of him and McPhee.

Team he has chosen indicates they never necessarily say eye to eye on team affairs at all.

Let’s see how the line up. As it stands all he’s done is swap out two midfielders for regular subs, right? Same defence, still Watkins and Ings, still Luiz seemingly at the base of midfield. I hope they are in a very different 4-2-3-1 but we will see.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Let’s see how the line up. As it stands all he’s done is swap out two midfielders for regular subs, right? Same defence, still Watkins and Ings, still Luiz seemingly at the base of midfield. I hope they are in a very different 4-2-3-1 but we will see.

Looks like an attacking 442 to me but we will see

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hopefully that sentiment is still there by the end of today

Would love a result and performance that says everything was Gerrard, even mcginn off the bench doing something good

I think the sentiment still stands regardless. We've tried something that all of us could see was worth trying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Fair point

• Like 1