January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

34 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I watched quite a bit of Mochengladbach previously and was a huge fan of Thuram, when Villa were a bit further back in the process and Mochengladbach were qualifying for the CL he was the kind of player I was unrealistically hoping we'd sign. Seems a bit more possible now given he dropped off quite a bit last season and a lot of the interest from bigger sides seemed to cool.

He's tearing it up this season however since he's been used as a striker and has a lot of the physical elements that would make you less worried about a player settling into the Premier League (ie is around 6'4", strong and fast). His contract situation makes things interesting as well, has Kamara vibes to it.

Only concern I have is over his work rate. From what you saw did he work hard off the ball closing opponents down?

Have to say I am not fully convinced by Thuram, would need to see more from him and especially attitude. Spitting incident was scummy

Many players have had great bursts of form when the contract is about to expire and then did nothing to hang around on the wage bill

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I watched quite a bit of Mochengladbach previously and was a huge fan of Thuram, when Villa were a bit further back in the process and Mochengladbach were qualifying for the CL he was the kind of player I was unrealistically hoping we'd sign. Seems a bit more possible now given he dropped off quite a bit last season and a lot of the interest from bigger sides seemed to cool.

He's tearing it up this season however since he's been used as a striker and has a lot of the physical elements that would make you less worried about a player settling into the Premier League (ie is around 6'4", strong and fast). His contract situation makes things interesting as well, has Kamara vibes to it.

Ooooooh..I'm going a bit wobbly.

6'4 and fast and can score.....what is there not to like?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Ooooooh..I'm going a bit wobbly.

6'4 and fast and can score.....what is there not to like?

tbf, Thuram is at best a 1 in 3 striker over the last 3 years (prior to this season), tbh in the previous 3 years he scored 21 in 81, so really 1 in 4.

this season 10 in 15.

anyways, im all for a more complete forward to help the team, will need to watch some vids and see how "complete" a forward he is, he looks a lot like the improved French version of Davis at first glance.

2 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Of course the market for top quality players is tight but does this mean our owners will not strive for the top? I certainly hope not. By the way - bit pedantic really - but if two cases exist in fact then the case cannot be mythical.

Our owners are going to strive for the top but we are going to be facing clubs with a lot more money to spend and sway for top players to sign. I'd say 4 of the scum 6 would take a 20+ goal striker. The other thing I would say is that tactically, a lot of those goal poachers of decades ago will not be able to fit in with what many managers require from players. 

I chose the term mythical because every fan of most clubs is after this almost every summer but there are only three players that realistically fit this criterion that every club in the world would want. it's *that* rare

If you're turning your noses up at signing Thuram I'm really unsure on your expectations of a Striker Villa should sign! cough cough @Zatman and co.
Thuram good enough to play for France in the World Cup but not Aston Villa? 🥶

Edited by messi11
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, messi11 said:

If you're turning your noses up at signing Thuram I'm really unsure on your expectations of a Striker Villa should sign! cough cough @Zatman and co.
Thuram good enough to play for France in the World Cup but not Aston Villa? 🥶

Theres a reason hes at a cut price of €12M i dont think he will cut it for us with consistency 

12 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Theres a reason hes at a cut price of €12M i dont think he will cut it for us with consistency 

Thuram would be a steal at 10m.  Also having digne and kamara here will help him settle quickly. Big step up form trez aeg and traore thats for sure

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

If we sign any Thuram, I'd rather we got Khepren from Nice.

Top talent and I have championed him for a while on here but he plays in a position that’s now pretty much covered within the squad, Kamara, Luiz, Dendonker and Tim (eventually).

Top talent though

Sod it let’s get the Thuram brothers and the Ramsey brothers in the same side

19 minutes ago, RicRic said:

He only has 7 months left on his contract, hence his price, if he didn’t he’d be worth upwards of £30m - £40m. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RicRic said:

2 questions for you-
1) Which striker 'cuts it' consistency  in World Football?
2) And which Striker cuts it consistency that Villa can realistically attract? 

We are in no position  in the football pyramid to be signing top league consistent strikers.
We have to discover or make a player consistent  like we did with Benteke
Thuram fits the mold, plus he's found his consistency this season 

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, messi11 said:

2 questions for you-

We are in no position  in the football pyramid to be signing top league consistent strikers.

Man, I’d love someone on the level of Benteke in our side.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burchy said:

He only has 7 months left on his contract, hence his price, if he didn’t he’d be worth upwards of £30m - £40m. 

He wouldnt as he hasnt done much the last 2 seasons and just hit form now. 

Apparently Inter were quoted 26 million in the summer and thought was too expensive and took Lukaku instead

I'd take him for 10m.

Mid 20s and you never know with those sorts, could just explode and have a 20-25 goal season if you're lucky.

I remember a few years back Dembele was massively rated. Close to joining Man. United and then he went to Atletico Madrid and just warmed the bench so his career has lost momentum after his spell with Celtic. Is he still at Lyon? That might be another to look at as assume he wouldn't cost much these days.

Edit; He actually came back from that and scored 21 goals in 30 game for Lyon in French league last season.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd take him for 10m.

Mid 20s and you never know with those sorts, could just explode and have a 20-25 goal season if you're lucky.

You're right, but it's not just £10m.

It's £10m + £30m in wages for the next 4 and half years.

He's just as inconsistent as Watkins, and when he's off it, he's much worse than him IMO.

We're in a lovely spot squad-wise, then it's debatable whether players like this are worth signing.

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

2 questions for you-

Don't talk rot, if we can't expect better than 1-3/1-4 then there is no point buying the player as we already have several of those at the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1