January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Based on Value on the transfer (Thuram at 8-15 mil vs Abraham at £45Million)
Based on form (This season and career)
Based on potential 

One is at the World Cup with France, One is watching it on the TV. 

Value - I agree although given his contract situation he’ll want a far bigger signing on fee and wages than Tammy so the difference will be hugely reduced for the total value.

Based on form - this season he’s done really well….career is debatable when comparing

Potential - debatable 

Risk - Tammy wins this hands down

Not even going to discuss about international picking, we’ve known for decades being picked for country doesn’t always mean much.  Playing for France is incredible for him personally but as an assessment to buy him or not for us it wouldn’t be a determining factor.

As for Tammy not being picked, that’s down to Southgate.  He could’ve easily picked Tammy instead of Wilson, just like Thuram was picked in place of other strikers.

I think Thuram is a great potential player but we are talking about comparison here not whether either are very good, they both are very good players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Matheus Cunha would be a depressing signing. 

A 1 in 4.587 striker

if only it were 1 in 4, and not 1 in 4.587.....

that .587 just makes all the difference im afraid....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

What makes you think Tammy would be a good signing? Nostalgia?

26 goals in 89 PL appearances. I thought we wanted to get away from the 1 in 4 strikers?  

That’s not 1 in 4 it’s 1 in 3.4 appearances and seeing as he was a sub a lot, it’s better looking at minutes of 1 in every 191 minutes and if you exclude him being 20 years old at Swansea and focus on his Chelsea time it’s 1 every 155 minutes which is pretty impressive at 22 and 23 years old.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if only it were 1 in 4, and not 1 in 4.587.....

that .587 just makes all the difference im afraid....

Its like 1 in 4.6 games which rounded up is 1 in 5 games. Not good enough for Aston Villa.

I hope this is untrue!

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s not 1 in 4 it’s 1 in 3.4 appearances and seeing as he was a sub a lot, it’s better looking at minutes of 1 in every 191 minutes and if you exclude him being 20 years old at Swansea and focus on his Chelsea time it’s 1 every 155 minutes which is pretty impressive at 22 and 23 years old.

1 in 3.42307692308 to be exact

Rather Tammy than the 1 in 4.587 Matheus Cunha

Just now, messi11 said:

1 in 3.42307692308 to be exact

Rather Tammy than the 1 in 4.587 Matheus Cunha

I don’t care who Emery buys, I just think we need a new striker.  

I worry Thuram has rarely played as a striker or in the PL and I worry about Tammy’s cost.  

Whoever Emery wants I’m 100% behind and just want them to be a success but I find it hard to distinguish between Tammy and Thuram because they are different type of players and have very different pros and cons so I don’t see how anybody can say one is better than the other.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m at that point of total faith in King Unai that I’m happy with whoever he wants to sign. If it’s who he wants, then it’s who I want.

Yep, exactly my thinking.  He has the pedigree, he has to be allowed and be backed on building what he wants.

• Like 2

with the names linked, ie: Cunha, Muriqi, Thuram, if its a true(ish) reflection of the type of player Emery is after, its clear he wants a mix of strength, pace, technical ability, height, power etc.

more than happy with that, would make us a nightmare to play against on the break, but also in the air/hold up etc, would also make teams much more wary of pushing up against us generally.

Same could be said for previous links, like Sarr & Zaha etc.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2022 at 22:25, messi11 said:

2 questions for you-
1) Which striker 'cuts it' consistency  in World Football?
2) And which Striker cuts it consistency that Villa can realistically attract? 

We are in no position  in the football pyramid to be signing top league consistent strikers.
We have to discover or make a player consistent  like we did with Benteke
Thuram fits the mold, plus he's found his consistency this season 

Im not asking for anything spectacular in terms of record with consistency but he has not proven much in his previous couple of seasons so we may sign a player who has only been playing good for the last 12 months and yes its extremely hard to find consistency i agree 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

Matheus Cunha would be a depressing signing. 

A 1 in 4.587 striker

I probably agree it reminds me of a west ham signing that flops, if he had a 1 in 3.5 record (bearing in mind he’s mostly coming off the bench) then id be more interested in pursuing it, Fifa 23 have him at 81 OVR but he looks like a 78 OVR if that means much to anyone here , id seen players measured by this and just thought id bring it up as he must have some serious  attributes other than goals to have him at that level. 

Edited by RicRic

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Tammy is a lazy link but would be a terrible signing. Watkins is probably a better player

Watkins is a better player if you think scoring goals isnt important.

Tammy dont become a bad player over night. I eprsonalky think he is

A) homesick

B) anyone would want to leave that clown mourinho