January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 hours ago, messi11 said:

Thuram good enough to play for France in the World Cup but not Aston Villa?

And Stéphane Guivarc'h has a World Cup Winner's medal...

Some food for thought: in a similar manner to how Farke's Norwich was reliant upon Pukki's output by design, this campaign the goal spread across 'Gladbach's frontline (thus far, at least) is looking similarly narrow in nature (save for Hofmann who I would absolutely drop £20m on, no questions asked, and Bensebaini who by this point I'm convinced has some sort of contractual and/or Faustian commitment to 5 goals per season).  I would like to think that's more indicative of the general success of moving Thuram centrally as opposed to any notions of Farke choosing to once more set up a team primarily to play to the strengths of a singular attacking point, as; 1) I'd worry such an approach wouldn't work with the way Villa are set up and 2) I'd trust Emery to have a far more flexible approach anyway.

All that being said, at anything around ~£10m Thuram is absolutely worth a shot.  I'd probably be more pissed at the rip-off than I would delighted by the bargain, which I guess is a good sign.

At any rate, as @Zatman said above, it was unlikely he was ever going anywhere for the £30m+. Only one outgoing 'Gladbach player (Xhaka) has ever fetched that sort of money.

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

With Juventus imploding I wonder is there any chances of us feeding off the carcass? Chiesa would be the one I'd love for us, Vlahovic is probably the most unattainable option but Chiesa might be. He speaks English too which is a help.

Chiesa is a better player than Vlahovic for me. If they're going on the cheap, not sure we'll be able to attract them ahead of others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

With Juventus imploding I wonder is there any chances of us feeding off the carcass? Chiesa would be the one I'd love for us, Vlahovic is probably the most unattainable option but Chiesa might be. He speaks English too which is a help.

We've been linked with McKennie in the past.

35 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Chiesa is Juventus best player but had a bad injury

Not sure who is available that would be keen to join and improve us. Some like Rabiot would be interested but wouldn't want them 

Maybe Cuadrado or Kostic as short term wide options, can see Cuadrado at Spurs

Edited by Zatman

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Chiesa is Juventus best player but had a bad injury

Not sure who is available that would be keen to join and improve us. Some like Rabiot would be interested but wouldn't want them 

Maybe Cuadrado or Kostic as short term wide options, can see Cuadrado at Spurs

Cuadrado will be 35 before the end of the season, may as well just stick with Young.

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You're right, but it's not just £10m.

It's £10m + £30m in wages for the next 4 and half years.

He's just as inconsistent as Watkins, and when he's off it, he's much worse than him IMO.

We're in a lovely spot squad-wise, then it's debatable whether players like this are worth signing.

Still cheaper than signing someone for 30m + all the wages and that player (so far) not having enough about him to lift us from bottom to top half e.g Danny Ings.

If you look at Emery he's tended to agree with clubs signing players who have stalled a bit in their careers. Lo Celso struggled to impose himself at Spurs but Emery had no problem wanting him again at Villareal. Danjuma didn't do much at Bournemouth but been excellent for them and you can also add Juan Foyth and Etienne Capoue.

With those profiles wouldn't shock me if we signed a forward who showed promise a while back but perhaps isn't in greatest career form so someone like Thuram would be up there in realistic shortlist.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Still cheaper than signing someone for 30m + all the wages and that player (so far) not having enough about him to lift us from bottom to top half e.g Danny Ings.

If you look at Emery he's tended to agree with clubs signing players who have stalled a bit in their careers. Lo Celso struggled to impose himself at Spurs but Emery had no problem wanting him again at Villareal. Danjuma didn't do much at Bournemouth but been excellent for them and you can also add Juan Foyth and Etienne Capoue.

With those profiles wouldn't shock me if we signed a forward who showed promise a while back but perhaps isn't in greatest career form so someone like Thuram would be up there in realistic shortlist.

I'd be up for a £30m if they were worth it mind!

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Tammy really divides opinion on here. So much so, even I don't know if he'd be a good signing for us. He's obviously a goalscorer, but his interplay and all round footballing ability used to bug me. Is that fair?

I don't think he'd be worth what Roma are probably asking for him, unless he's available for £20-25m I wouldn't bother.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Linked with Thuram, Muriqi and Tammy.  Looks like we are definitely in for a striker at the very least.

From the limited time I've spent watching Muriqi (on youtube), I'd rather just get Keinan Davis back. Tammy for the right price, maybe. Thuram, no idea. Seems highly rated and would be very cheap given his contract status. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Linked with Thuram, Muriqi and Tammy.  Looks like we are definitely in for a striker at the very least.

The Muriqi link is nothing, it comes from the worst ITK on Twitter, Ekrem Konur, he just makes it up as he goes along. 

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Chiesa is a better player than Vlahovic for me. If they're going on the cheap, not sure we'll be able to attract them ahead of others.

Easily their best I'd love him but we have zero chance of any of their best players.

Danny has a career total of 121 goals in 345 games...giving a win percentage of 2.85%

Ollie has a career total of 115 goals in 337 games....giving a win percentage of 2.93%

Whilst many anomalies exist, it is just a thumb rule, but we need to sign better than that, if we are to do anything....it might not be that easy to do.

However, I do think a different type of striker for the squad, is necessary.

Edited by TRO