January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

We should be looking at fofana, only 19 will only get better

Would we even be able to sign him under the new brexit rules? He’s played for the full Ivory Coast national team twice so that might help him points wise. 

Ever since my first time watching villa since October 98’ in the prem ive only seen us beat (Against Main Rivals)

Newcastle - 10 times

West Ham, Spurs - 9 times

Chelsea - 8 times

Liverpool,Arsenal - 7 Times

Man City - 6 times 

Man Utd - 3 times (once before 2021)😕

City of Manchester has never been kind to us, im grateful that the last 4 years has seen us cause more damage than maybe the last 15 years put together collectively against these top six, i cant believe we have only beaten west ham twice more than Liverpool in that time.. and man city are a team I thought we had beaten more tbh i cant believe its only 6 times.

We need to start hitting these teams now and not get pushed over like we have done for the last twenty years, i want plenty more blood against United thats for sure, lets get players in that are gonna give us the confidence against any of these teams

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder if we will re look at otavio? Looked good in first wc game

I’m sure he’s a good player but I think we’ll be looking at players with pace and power in the forward positions. Players like Chukwueze, Jackson, Sarr etc. 

I definitely think we lack a little pace and physicality in our side.

In terms of the midfield, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go for Merino and Lo Celso.

Cant see us signing more than two in January, if anybody at all. Getting rid of players surplus to requirements should still be the number 1 objective. 

For me I think we should get shot of Sanson, Nakamba and McGinn. 

Iroegbunam is Nakamaba’s natural replacement but I think we need a senior CM to upgrade McGinn’s place in the squad. Someone like Frank Kessie, Konrad Laimer or Florian Neuhaus. Kessie would be my pick if he was, as rumoured, available on the cheap  

For Sanson’s role in the squad I’d go youth and get in someone like Orkun Kokcu, Yunus Musah, Nico Gonzalez or an outside bet like Carlos Alcaraz at Racing who I think is going to be a monster.

All good at breaking up the play but also have the passing stats and progressive ball skills that we could do with. 

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For every Bissouma, there have been three Jahabakhsh's.

He’s not exactly pulling up trees at Spurs at present. Granted hate Spurs so don’t watch too many games but haven’t seen much fanfare about him. 

1 minute ago, burchy said:

He’s not exactly pulling up trees at Spurs at present. Granted hate Spurs so don’t watch too many games but haven’t seen much fanfare about him. 

I agree, but yet whilst he was at Brighton he was the second coming of the midfield Christ apparently. 

Brighton have had a very good scouting set up yes, but they are not some superhuman operation that need to be placed on a pedestal. 

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I agree, but yet whilst he was at Brighton he was the second coming of the midfield Christ apparently. 

Brighton have had a very good scouting set up yes, but they are not some superhuman operation that need to be placed on a pedestal. 

I actually think we're trying to go one better than Brighton and sign players in the 15-18 age category and hope that 2/3 make it to the first team in the next 4/5 years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

Not that I want to turn this into the Brighton thread but they’re a different proposition as a club, players know they can sign for them, do well and then get a big move away. That’s the attraction of a move there, it’s how it’s probably marketed to the players as well.

I think Villa has loftier ambitions and less of a conveyor belt club, no disrespect meant to Brighton. 

Fully agree with this. We do have loftier ambitions and this is why we have gone for Unai to take us forward. As far as recruitment, team shape and tactics are concerned I am happy to trust in Unai ………. at least for now!

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Bissouma also cost more than nearly all our centre midfielders probably Luiz cost more