January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

The RB is the primary beneficiary of Gerrard's dumbass system. League One journeyman James Tavernier has hit double figures in goals from RB a couple of times for Rangers. With most of our possession and attacks going down the left, Cash was in some great positions by just putting in the effort to get up and down the pitch. He's never had much quality on the ball though imo.

Also he's our third tallest outfield player after Mings and Dendonker, but doesn't even go up for corners, because he's not great in the air. He's not a bad player, but I think he's the weakest starter we have.

Yeah, that’s all true. He did score that one header against Man City though so must have a huge conversion rate with headers.

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

We need two new fullbacks we should be looking at Luca Netz from Monchengladbach and Lamptey from Brighton both would be a massive improvement on the current two

Lamptey looked good 18 months ago but he's lost his way with injuries and not the same anymore.

Brighton are very lethal down the left though with Mitoma and Pervis Estupinan. Emery managed Estupinan at Villareal so that's the annoying thing of hanging onto Gerrard so long as pop him in at left back and that he'd be fantastic. Brighton signed him for 18m which is typcial them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I think put bluntly we need to splash the cash. We’re expecting players who are 20-30m players to compete with squads made up of players in the 60-90m bracket.

For me, we’re half a team. For all our forward players I think it’s here where the major surgery is needed as they’re just not consistent enough. 

Yes I’d like more….

LWB/RWB upgraded eventually (Balde, Truffert or Kerkez for LB please), new ball playing CB (Torres), technical/goal scoring CM comp (Kokcu) but it’s the forward lines that we need to go all out on. 

This is what I'm expecting this summer as well...  Splashing the cash to compete with the big boys.

4 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Head: 2 shots, 1 goal

Left foot: 7 shots, 2 goals

Right foot: 27 shots, 1 goal

Maybe he's just been using his wrong foot this whole time

If he used his head, he would use his left, oh wait!

5 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

The RB is the primary beneficiary of Gerrard's dumbass system. League One journeyman James Tavernier has hit double figures in goals from RB a couple of times for Rangers. With most of our possession and attacks going down the left, Cash was in some great positions by just putting in the effort to get up and down the pitch. He's never had much quality on the ball though imo.

Also he's our third tallest outfield player after Mings and Dendonker, but doesn't even go up for corners, because he's not great in the air. He's not a bad player, but I think he's the weakest starter we have.

Pretty sure Cash’s height figures you can find online are wrong. He’s about Mcginn’s height.

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

This is what I'm expecting this summer as well...  Splashing the cash to compete with the big boys.

The problem being, aside from FFP, the £60-90 mil players want to go to CL clubs not mid table clubs.

We need to be wiser with our money, a mid table club splashing the cash can end up like Everton. West Ham splashed the cash last summer and are worse than last season.

I’d like us to get to a position where we can play Bailey on the right side of midfield and Ramsey on the left. To do this, we need a new forward (Deulofeu?). 

Our best team at the moment is:

Martinez
Young
Konsa
Mings
Digne
Kamara
Luiz
Ramsey
McGinn
Bailey
Watkins

Carlos will probably come in for Konsa at some stage so we might be ok at centre half, but I really think we need to be targeting two forward players and provide serious competition for those forward positions. You could make a case for at least 3 being up for grabs - Bailey, Watkins, McGinn. 

I think we’ll target a couple of new fullbacks in the Summer.

13 hours ago, useless said:

I never thought I would say this

We need a player in most postions, too many of our players have too many bad games, but when they have the odd good game fans get all defensive of them and act as if that player has proved everyone wrong and is suddenly going to come good, but that doesn't turn out to be the case and so we keep going in circles, good game couple of bad games and so on and so on, this applies to most of the squad.

I actually agree with this. I think some of our fans overrate our players. I don’t think hardly any of them would get in to a top 6 first 11 if I’m being honest. Apart from Emi.

Now I’m not saying that means a complete upheaval is needed. That’s not really possible. But I do think breaking in to Europe in the near future is just a pipe dream. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I think you will find it was actually down to some world class goalkeeping…

5D88C81F-1A56-4CDB-8D54-FF5DDFE8DAEA.jpeg

Yes, it was! It was world class holding the ball against the post for a really long time (to trick everyone into thinking that actually it hadn't crossed the line).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think I overrated them it's more that I agree that they're not top 6 players but at the same time we're not a top 6 team... So I think it's more that fans have too much expectation which is often unfair,often driven by bullshit media links during silly season

Leon Bailey is a £30m mid table level winger but the expectation is that he's a CL level winger who should have cost us £60-70m, there is a reason he came to us and not man utd despite being linked to them, that is our reality

And I also think that from here on in you cherry pick top 6 players one by one, the chances of us making sweeping changes and buying several top 6 quality players in one transfer window is really low imo, we should be slowing down and building from the safety of mid table, 2 or 3 proper class players like a pau torres and pino for £120m rather than 7 players for £120m, if we can pick up another kamara along the way then brilliant

The turnover has to stop

This is absolutely correct. Most of our squad perform as per what we paid for them. It'd be great if we signed a few more players that performed well above what we paid for them like Brighton or Brentford are able to do. But other teams are probably looking at us signing McGinn, Emi, Luiz, Kamara etc., and wondering why they can't make signings like that.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think I overrated them it's more that I agree that they're not top 6 players but at the same time we're not a top 6 team... So I think it's more that fans have too much expectation which is often unfair,often driven by bullshit media links during silly season

Leon Bailey is a £30m mid table level winger but the expectation is that he's a CL level winger who should have cost us £60-70m, there is a reason he came to us and not man utd despite being linked to them, that is our reality

And I also think that from here on in you cherry pick top 6 players one by one, the chances of us making sweeping changes and buying several top 6 quality players in one transfer window is really low imo, we should be slowing down and building from the safety of mid table, 2 or 3 proper class players like a pau torres and pino for £120m rather than 7 players for £120m, if we can pick up another kamara along the way then brilliant

The turnover has to stop

This 100%. Bailey is a midtable player, who cost us a midtable fee. He’ll have some good games, and have some bad games. He might even have the odd exceptional game. But we can’t really expect much more than that, he’s not suddenly going to turn into an elite forward.

If he was good enough for a top 6 team he’d have cost twice as much as we paid. The starting price for elite wingers is £60m+

• Like 2