Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Need to win our next two really to be serious about this.

Spurs in crisis so of course they go away and win 4-0 and they're back to being 11 points clear of us so it remains a remote possibility of finishing above them despite the excellent display there.

That said I think Brighton have a very good chance of finishing top 6 this season and they're only 5 points clear of us so there's still hope. They've got Liverpool at home next and think Fulham-Chelsea is also happening so three points v Leeds is a must to get in the mix.

• Like 1

We can finish above Chelsea for sure. They are similar to Arsenal in 20/21 so the chance is there at least. Need to win 3 of our next 4 to really establish ourselves in the mix so got to step up now.

Chelsea got Fulham away next which will be very tricky based on how Fulham are playing and think they've got Liverpool away as last fixture of the month so they'll be dropping more points in coming weeks.

Chelsea will probably sack Potter, shoot up the table. I've no expectation of us finishing above them, they will probably catch Newcastle before the season is over.

Edited by useless

I'm not optimistic we will finish above chelsea.  I think if we beaten Wolves I would have been but chelsea will improve second half of the season with or without Potter.

Can't look at games that are easy or hard as we seem to be better when we are not expected to win 

I think the usual teams + Newcastle  will finish at the top of the table. We need to hunt down the spot that comes next .

I don't see a reason why we can't chase down Brighton, Brentford and Fulham....but we have to begin to consistently pick up points. 

None of this 'two points from. Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds, and Forest' shit. 

23 minutes ago, useless said:

Chelsea will probably sack Potter, shoot up the table. I've no expectation of us finishing above them, they will probably catch Newcastle before the season is over.

They have many tough away games still to play....Fulham, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and both Manchester clubs. West Ham and Wolves towards end of season will also be very tricky with them both fighting relegation, took 1 point from those 2 last season when they were much better.

I don't see them getting much over 50 points as it stands but of course a new manager can add a new dynamic as we've seen here.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

This European Albatross, needs to be ignored, until we get a team that can realistically challenge on a consistent basis.

Some of the play, we dish up, the prospect is derisory.

Agreed, the added pressure of expectation of Europe won't help this fledgling team.

We don't even know how all our players fit the system best yet.

Top 10 is where we should be aiming for this season, and should be rightly applauded if we get it.

However I feel there are too many with unrealistic high expectations that won't help.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

This European Albatross, needs to be ignored, until we get a team that can realistically challenge on a consistent basis.

It's mad saying that when we are technically not even halfway through season yet, and only 6 points off 7th.

But I think if we did qualify for Europe this season, it would do more harm than good in the long run.

We don't have the squad to play in both, and even with new players coming in, I think we would struggle to compete in both the league and Europe next season.  I've seen it before when teams qualify for Europe when they aren't ready.  Their overall form suffers as they don't have the squad depth like the big 6.

• Like 1

I think we can forget European qualification this season, I think our best chance was through the FA cup but that is no longer an option. In the league, whilst not impossible, We require too many teams to drop points, and we are not 100% convincing just yet. We seem to struggle in the games we are expected to win, so with that in mind the next few fixtures will either confirm or disprove that theory. Win our next three games and I might change my opinion on the qualification chances.

I think top 9 would be as good as we can expect this season. Improve the quality of the squad in the summer, then we are well set for a push for qualifictaion next season.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Doom and Gloom after 1 shock defeat. I hope you are a man of your word and stick with this sentiment. And not jump back on the European and postive bandwagon when we beat Leeds.

Believe 

Edited by messi11
  • Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Qualification for Europe in the league is going to get very tough with Newcastle's rise - we might have to be better than Spurs just to make the Europa Conference league.

Any January signings withstanding, I'm not convinced this Newcastle side is a shoe-in for Europe at all.