Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3/4 games of our next games are at home. We are strong at home currently 7th in the home PL table. Only losing to Chelsea and Liverpool in the last 6 games.
image.png

Edited by messi11
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's crack top 10 before we start setting ourselves up for disappointment again.

We could go on a brilliant run and still not even crack top 8 due to coming from way behind ( Kenneth GIF )

Agreed.

But we have a manager who has a massive reputation, much of it built on European success. Survival is barely the start of his target for this season I suspect, and he won't see a competition like the Europa Conference League as a ball-ache; he'll see it as an opportunity and drive the players to go up a level.

42 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Would be pleased with finishing in the top 10 (for the first time in ages) and finishing as the top placed midlands side. Would love top 7 but can't see it this season...

Top ten would be great.Top 7 would be better…..however top midlands side?

Since when have been interested in “pride of the midlands” trophy? It was invented for the likes of Wolves Stoke and the Baggies 😂

1 minute ago, MarkLillis said:

Since when have been interested in “pride of the midlands” trophy? It was invented for the likes of Wolves Stoke and the Baggies 😂

We’re already the pride of midlands. We don’t need to finish above Wolves this year to keep that trophy.

We won’t get Europe. We have dropped too many points against the lesser sides under Gerrard. We should have beaten Forest, Bournemouth and Leeds away, and then we’d have been in with a shout.

I just think we’re too far behind and it would take an epic run, the kind where the grim reaper is visiting 4/5 doors at a time, to get near the top 7. No reason we can’t finish in the top 10 with Emery though. That needs to be our aim before an all out assault next season!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Yes, I would be pleased if we were the top placed (in the league) midlands side - something we haven't been for a long time. Just another sign of getting back to where we belong / like a top 10 position.

If it's not something you care about then fair enough.

• Like 1

Villa are improving though so if we can start to beat the teams below us then top eight (maybe seventh) becomes possible.

I have much more faith in Villa with Emery as manager since O'Neill, the players will believe too and collectively they will be aiming high.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's crack top 10 before we start setting ourselves up for disappointment again.

We could go on a brilliant run and still not even crack top 8 due to coming from way behind ( Kenneth GIF )

No let Emery and the players have more realistic targets.

Fans are allowed to get carried away. 

I'm aiming for 7th and not afraid to say it out loud!

56 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Villa are improving though so if we can start to beat the teams below us then top eight (maybe seventh) becomes possible.

I have much more faith in Villa with Emery as manager since O'Neill, the players will believe too and collectively they will be aiming high.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

The thing MON had was that players would run through brick walls for him, beyond that there wasn’t much else. 

Basically under Emery we have a MON with Elite level tactics to boot. 

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

1957. 30 years ago was too too long. 

OT but best football top of all time.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We won’t get Europe. We have dropped too many points against the lesser sides under Gerrard. We should have beaten Forest, Bournemouth and Leeds away, and then we’d have been in with a shout.

I just think we’re too far behind and it would take an epic run, the kind where the grim reaper is visiting 4/5 doors at a time, to get near the top 7. No reason we can’t finish in the top 10 with Emery though. That needs to be our aim before an all out assault next season!

Overplaying the lost points under Gerrard. Those points would have helped but plenty of teams around us have and will drop similar games. Chelsea did only yesterday.

We've still got plenty of games more favourable than those you've mentioned, and now we've an elite manager to take us through them.

11 home games remaining include 6 bottom half sides plus Fulham and Brighton. The other are Spurs who we've just convincingly beat, Newcastle which will like Spurs be tough but winnable, and Arsenal.

Away games look a bit trickier, but we've still 5 left against teams currently below us in the table.