Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has he played much for Napoli?

Has made a couple of sub appearances so far, he was never going to be a starter for them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I thought he was dreadful more often than not. Looked an absolute **** liability most of the time, I'd much rather see Tim get some games.

Funnily enough he partnered Dougie in CM when we beat SaudiCastle 3-0 towards the end of last season. It was one of the best performances at VP in decades. Probably that performance and the Man City game were the best 2 of 2023.

So in the right system he has proved he can be useful.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, useless said:

He's got big rep and decent pedigree in the game so I think we will find a buyer for him no problem

I don’t. Reckon he will be loaned out until his contract expires. Nobody is paying this guys wages in full and a transfer fee. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, pete101 said:

21 minutes of football since he left, we are well and truly landed with him

I'm not sure if we let him go because he wanted playing time or if it was because of FFP, but if it was a charity case because he wanted playing time, it has come back to haunt us. We really could use him right now. [Edit: And it's come back to haunt him, because I guarantee that he would have gotten more than 21 minutes here.]

If it's FFP, well, we did what we had to. Rogers is more important in the long run than Dendoncker.

Edited by TomC

I can’t imagine we let him go because of FFP. We’d be saving 5 months of wages, a drop in the ocean really. I think at the time he said he wanted regular first team football because of the Euros, obviously this hasn’t worked out for him. 

What a waste for all parties involved. Napoli wasted money on him, he wasted his time as he would've played a lot more here, we saved peanuts but really could have done with another midfielder, especially a defensive minded one, both for rotation and for allowing the others to play in their natural positions

2 minutes ago, WooJung said:

What a waste for all parties involved. Napoli wasted money on him, he wasted his time as he would've played a lot more here, we saved peanuts but really could have done with another midfielder, especially a defensive minded one, both for rotation and for allowing the others to play in their natural positions

That bit in bold is everything.

I guess we didn't know Kamara was getting a season ending injury when we let him go, but knowing that he might do and that we have zero faith in Tim should have seen him kept. We've sacrificed so much by not having a fit DM. It's worked some weeks, but it's shown us desperately short in others. 

As bad as Donk is, we clearly had more faith in him than Tim, so he'd have been better kept around. Hindsight maybe I guess. 

Dendoncker would have been both huffing absolutely out the rear and given the ball away about 10 times if he was playing. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Dendoncker would have been both huffing absolutely out the rear and given the ball away about 10 times if he was playing. 

That never happened too often tbh. He was a steady eddie for the most part. He's not the answer but we could have done with him big time.

It is all ifs and buts isn't it. If Kamara doesn't get injured then this thread is on page 10. If we hadn't have loaned Dendonker out then we may not have been able to bring in Rogers and we'd have lost the huge impact he has made in the absence of Ramsey.

We are where we are. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is all ifs and buts isn't it. If Kamara doesn't get injured then this thread is on page 10. If we hadn't have loaned Dendonker out then we may not have been able to bring in Rogers and we'd have lost the huge impact he has made in the absence of Ramsey.

We are where we are. 

True true. We'll never really know whether we could have kept him and got Rogers, or whether keeping him would have helped us in Kamara's absence. Even with hindsight of Kamara's injury, not having Rogers would have been a potentially bigger. I think I'd had a few too many last night thinking Donk might have saved us 😆.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

True true. We'll never really know whether we could have kept him and got Rogers, or whether keeping him would have helped us in Kamara's absence. Even with hindsight of Kamara's injury, not having Rogers would have been a potentially bigger. I think I'd had a few too many last night thinking Donk might have saved us 😆.

🤣

I don't drink so unfortunately have a constant vision of Donks performance against Stevenage burnt into my memory. He would have allowed others to rest or play in their preferred positions but he would have been a howler waiting to happen. Bit like how it is with Olsen... lots of good but then a WTF moment

• Like 1

There is nothing that does as much to improve a fringe player's reputation as not having to watch them play for months, it always happens

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There is nothing that does as much to improve a fringe player's reputation as not having to watch them play for months, it always happens

Where has that happened? We've literally playing without a 6 for months? I'd sell him still but really for the money we saved in hindsight it's better to keep him.

But I get it. Send to Napoli. Play a bit. Improve reputation. Get his name in the window. Sell for 7m. It just hasn't happened.

He's really the last bit of Gerrard's legacy.  Given the £13m, Unai would have got someone much better.  He's basically unusable at our or Napoli's level.  I shudder to think we could have lost Doug and had Dendoncker replace him.

Â