Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

On 24/01/2024 at 17:33, villa4europe said:

Started every game he was fit for Wolves, starts for Belgium, now moving to Italian champions napoli

But as our 3rd choice holding midfielder and 5th choice CM overall? **** shit mate not good enough... 

He was perfectly fine for the role that he had here 

This is not to say Serie A is a farmer's league but some players just don't fit the squad and need a different place to play. Sanson, Dendoncker, Chambers, Traore, etc. are probably going to be fine elsewhere. 

McKennie was reviled at relegated Leeds and is doing great at league leader Juventus. Giroud, Pulisic, and RCL were prem "cast offs" and are some of the top performers for Milan.

Dendoncker will probably fine in another role but clearly didn't fit here for a number of reasons.

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

This is not to say Serie A is a farmer's league but some players just don't fit the squad and need a different place to play. Sanson, Dendoncker, Chambers, Traore, etc. are probably going to be fine elsewhere. 

McKennie was reviled at relegated Leeds and is doing great at league leader Juventus. Giroud, Pulisic, and RCL were prem "cast offs" and are some of the top performers for Milan.

Dendoncker will probably fine in another role but clearly didn't fit here for a number of reasons.

Giroud was very good in the PL for a number of years though.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

He was great but even the Arsenal fans weren't too sad to see him leave. A changing of the guard.

My point being that just because Dendoncker didn't work out here doesn't mean he's useless, just not a right fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He’s a funny one isn’t he. Won loads, France’s record top scorer, but in the PL I wouldn’t say he was ever even first choice at his (any of his) club. 

• Like 1

Good luck to him. Was a bit of strange buy at the time, but he turned out to be a very useful player when called upon. I think we've progressed quicker than his contract was originally signed for. Hope he smashes it in Italy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

Good luck to him. Was a bit of strange buy at the time, but he turned out to be a very useful player when called upon. I think we've progressed quicker than his contract was originally signed for. Hope he smashes it in Italy.

Well said - I don’t think we needed him tbh, but that was not his fault.

He has always seemed the model pro to me 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was silly letting him out on loan tho with no replacement. And we play alot of our midfielders all the time(Mcginn, Kamara, Douglas then one of Ramsey or Tielemans) I mean there's not alot of rest going on there. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Brace yourself because a drop in our form with Kamara out is going to transform him into an elite player to some people. Reo Coker syndrome

To be fair won't transform into anything of the sort for me, but could still be useful.

Would there even be an option to recall him if we wanted?

Even if he was still here it is unlikely that Emery would have played him. When Kamara got suspended for 3 games in December he was on the bench for two of those games, coming on for 2 minutes in total, and started the defeat at Man Utd (his only league start of the season). In total he had played less than 2 hours of Prem league football this season. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Was silly letting him out on loan tho with no replacement. And we play alot of our midfielders all the time(Mcginn, Kamara, Douglas then one of Ramsey or Tielemans) I mean there's not alot of rest going on there. 

1*N2ByBMok_xHEpQNm2nTiJA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Brace yourself because a drop in our form with Kamara out is going to transform him into an elite player to some people. Reo Coker syndrome

I think everyone knows his limitations but he was a useful squad player for us who could come in for games here and there and do o.k e.g. Newcastle at home in last season's run in when he was excellent.

Our squad 12 months on simply dosen't have the same feeling with too many unknowns from the youth on the bench.

Personally given he didn't go out on a permanent I'd have tried to keep him until the summer although I accept FFP overshadows so much of transfer business now.

14 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

1*N2ByBMok_xHEpQNm2nTiJA.png

Not really, I've said we've needed a midfielder in the last window and the window before. 

Don't see how others can't see how short we are there and have literally zero rotation. 

And now +1 from Kamara's injury.

Just to add I wanted Donk sold but found it a bit weird we spent money on another attacker and a RB for next season and not like for like. 

Edited by KAZZAM

Â