• Ramsey (Kamara 71)
    • Buendía (Coutinho 71)
    • Bailey (Watkins 71)
    • Archer (Ings 82)
    • Iroegbunam (Luiz 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

The official unbiased take.

First a qualifier, I missed the first 22 minutes so this take is based on the last three quarters of the match

The last bit of first half looked a bit dire. Villa seemed to struggle a bit with Bolton's press, the attacking intent looked a bit unsure and infrequent. Second half after the penalty (looked potentially off side to me, but I did not have a VAR micrometer handy, was it checked, was it obvious?). 

Martinez - solid game. Distribution a lot better than at Palace, did pretty much what he had to do was not troubled by the shots I was.

Young - had a surprisingly good outing I thought. Can't say I saw anything terribly wrong and by and large he did well.

Chambers - I do not see the negative aspects that other people are seeing. Generally he played solidly and effectively with Mings to get the ball out.

Mings - Seemed to do everything right to me, again played well with Chambers. Considered him for MotM.

Digne - I really don't get the negativity around his play. I thought he had a good game. Gave him FotM©, partly because of the negativity , but more so for his role in his goal. It was a really nice bit of team play to set him on goal.

McGinn - Like many I am beginning to wonder, having said that I do recall a really nice through ball from him that we should have capitalized on.

Kamara - Solid game but he really has to watch is fouling, it could easily cost us in the future.

Luiz - Really nice shot-corner-cross hybrid. Note Mings was there to nod it in if required. I like Luiz and I don't get the stick he gets from some at VT

Coutinho - I am still waiting for the Coutinho of old, or something a bit closer. 

Watkins - a quiet game from him. I can get he wanted a bit more of an opportunity to get his name on the scoresheet, but a little grace would not go amiss when coming off. But not a bad game by any means.

Ings - Yep if not an off side then definitely a penalty. He got on to that through ball well.

Subs - Bailey nice goal, and generally good. Got shouldered off the ball by some heavy weight. Something to watch out for. Beundia, I would like to see start. Ramsey had a noticeable cameo (in a good way). Iroegbunam and Archer, too short a cameo to get a good impression.

Referee - average, no outrageous mistakes on my watch.

Gerrard - average also. Gave Konsa and Cash a rest. Young for Cash was interesting. 

FotB© --- Footballer of the Match.

• Like 1

Decent evening out! Surprisingly strong side I thought but hopefully it gets then gelling a bit more.

We’d had the ball in the net twice before they scored so I wasn’t worried unlike some of the fans near me. Yeah we weren’t great first half but we only needed to keep it tight then our quality and superior fitness would show later on, as it did.

Coutinho had a decent game I thought. No complaints with the movement of Ings and Watkins either. We could’ve ended up with 7 or 8 goals with a few late breaks where we lacked composure for the final shot. Archer looked class when he came on.

Bailey’s goal was great but something weird at half time, the subs were warming up on the pitch and he was have a very animated discussion with Cash - looked like he was furious but Cash didn’t seem that interested, I’m intrigued to see if anyone else spotted it - I may have misinterpreted what I saw!

All in all, a good win and we’re in the draw for the next round, no complaints here! (Well except that it took 45 mins to get out of the car park, feel for the fans driving back to B’ham tonight with the m6 shut!)

Martinez 8

Young 8

Chambers 6

Mings 8

Digne 8

Kamara 8

McGinn 6

Luiz 8

Coutinho 8 (gave him player of the match, but could’ve been Luiz)

Watkins 7

Ings 8

Job done, obviously glad we’re still in the competition.

Can’t really read too much into the game (in terms of how we will perform against PL opposition) due to the context of it and quality of the opposition. They didn’t even have their first XI out there and the GK was a liability.

That first half was dire, absolutely atrocious. Dougie’s goal was a big help.

Tbf, it’s at least encouraging that we managed to sort ourselves out in that second half. There is quality in this squad but it desperately needs proper coaching…

Just seems like it was the quality that told in the end and Bolton tired… 

The thing is, why do we always have a much worse half and a better half in almost every game under SG? Even in preseason… it seems like the first XI are the worse players and we don’t really get going until subs are made… keeping our better players on the bench? Why not start with them instead? And try to produce 90 minute performance? 

At least we can go into the next game on the back of a positive result.

These next 3 games are a massive test… we will see where we are at and if SG has learned any lessons (it’s the ideal scenario but seems so unlikely) or rectified anything… I still have no belief in him, this victory was expected and I feel we struggled a lot more than anticipated… I can’t really abide how bad we were in that first half… we have to cut that shit out asap.

Any victory always helps, even a little, to calm the nerves and maybe bring out a little foolish hope 🤣 that things could improve.

I need a hell of a lot more evidence to restore any faith or belief in this guy… my view remains unchanged for now…

Let’s see…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

The official unbiased take.

First a qualifier, I missed the first 22 minutes so this take is based on the last three quarters of the match

The last bit of first half looked a bit dire. Villa seemed to struggle a bit with Bolton's press, the attacking intent looked a bit unsure and infrequent. Second half after the penalty (looked potentially off side to me, but I did not have a VAR micrometer handy, was it checked, was it obvious?). 

No VAR as they don't have it in League One. 

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Chambers - I do not see the negative aspects that other people are seeing. Generally he played solidly and effectively with Mings to get the ball out.

He got turned inside out for Bolton's goal, and totally misjudged a ball at the beginning of the second half, which almost led to another goal.

I'm usually a fan, but he did not play well today.

Just my view, but it's embarrassing that line up was put out. 

What does that say about our squad overall, must be really poor outside the favoured 11 which is scary cos they've been pretty poor themselves.

Can it be guaranteed that all those that played tonight are fully fit and rested for West Ham?

Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to be annoyed but I find most decisions lately bizarre...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Just my view, but it's embarrassing that line up was put out. 

What does that say about our squad overall, must be really poor outside the favoured 11 which is scary cos they've been pretty poor themselves.

Can it be guaranteed that all those that played tonight are fully fit and rested for West Ham?

Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to be annoyed but I find most decisions lately bizarre...

Could be that he wanted to give the first team some time to get into rhythm together.

West Ham play on Thursday so we should be more rested than them.

8 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

One win against League 1 opposition,  playing a full strength team doesn't change anything for me. 

Yes, we won 4-1 but if you pick apart the goals, 1 was a freak goal, Ings would of been flagged by VAR for the pen & their 'keeper lost the plot for Digne's. Bailey's goal was nice but by then Bolton had had it. 

For large parts of that game we looked disjointed, got exposed in the full back positions again - especially down the left, the Midfield was poor and at times we looked like a bunch of strangers who'd met an hour before kick off. 

I'm of course happy my team have won but it won't gloss over anything. The formation Gerrard continues to force us to play has major problems and weak areas that in the Prem, are being exposed weekly. He won't change that, last night was a chance to try something different and he didn't and for 45mins we looked awful again. 

My one hope is some of them players will take confidence from that win and take it on themselves to perform at the weekend as we have to rely on the fact they are better than who they play now, because Gerrard and his management of this group is making no difference. 

You're not wrong with your analysis of the goals. 

We were definitely second best in the first half but,  we also showed an increased tempo second half and that's what turned the game our way. We should be playing like that all the time though, not just away second half at league one opposition. 

The main positives in that game were Luiz and Young. Archer looked decent when he came on too. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Can't understand why the fringe players didn't start and play all game smells of desperation to me.

Counterpoint: players lacking confidence need just that. Goals for Bailey for Digne will hopefully do them a world of good and ideally let Gerrard realise he needs to play with more freedom in his systems.

Playing fringe players doesn’t give you the above. Momentum in football is everything, and gives them something else to focus and work on aside from a turgid performance against Palace. 

Let’s not turn this into doomed if you do, doomed if you don’t. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Counterpoint: players lacking confidence need just that. Goals for Bailey for Digne will hopefully do them a world of good and ideally let Gerrard realise he needs to play with more freedom in his systems.

Playing fringe players doesn’t give you the above. Momentum in football is everything, and gives them something else to focus and work on aside from a turgid performance against Palace. 

Let’s not turn this into doomed if you do, doomed if you don’t. 

You could see the confidence returning that 2nd half. The ball was zipped around. We attacked with purpose. We absolutely needed that last night and it was the correct decision. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You could see the confidence returning that 2nd half. The ball was zipped around. We attacked with purpose. We absolutely needed that last night and it was the correct decision. 

100% - it would be easy to dismiss it because it’s a cup game or “only Bolton” but you need your players to have those moments. The fluidity was encouraging -  and more so with introductions of Cam and Tim (however late in the game they were). 

Training today and tomorrow are going to be a lot more focused and confident. That can only be a good thing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

100% - it would be easy to dismiss it because it’s a cup game or “only Bolton” but you need your players to have those moments. The fluidity was encouraging -  and more so with introductions of Cam and Tim (however late in the game they were). 

Training today and tomorrow are going to be a lot more focused and confident. That can only be a good thing. 

I hope it’s more confident and focused, I hope it doesn’t lead to complacency thinking it’s all ok and continuing as old.  I want them to take this as a turning point and move forward.  Guess we’ll see against West Ham. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I hope it’s more confident and focused, I hope it doesn’t lead to complacency thinking it’s all ok and continuing as old.  I want them to take this as a turning point and move forward.  Guess we’ll see against West Ham. 

I agree - I hope it can be used as a springboard to work on issues whilst allowing the players to play with their better feet forward. Consistency is what is needed as much belief. Let’s hope we can take the positives of the second half into Sunday whilst ironing out some deficiencies. 

• Like 1

Â