• Ramsey (Kamara 71)
    • Buendía (Coutinho 71)
    • Bailey (Watkins 71)
    • Archer (Ings 82)
    • Iroegbunam (Luiz 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The penalty, Digne goal and conceding direct from a corner

Nyland couldnt even achieve all 3

So no credit to what Doug had been successfully practicing in training then, just down to the keeper of course.

He also achieved multiple good saves, but that doesn't suit this narrative I see.

Maybe watch the highlights for a refresher.

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Its the Steven Gerrard thread and not the post match cup game thread. The game we won 4-1 and progressed into the next round. Job done. Let's look forward to Man Utd if we want to discuss the Cup.

Remember when Leicester were dumped out the Cup by 4th tier side Newport County?

This is what the Cups are about, one off games where anything can happen.

The term " giant killers " exist for a reason. These are HUGE games for lower League clubs.

Absolutely bizarre this whole thing anyway.

People need to have a few days off till West Ham.

Hopefully it will be a shit win we can dissect as opposed to a terrible loss.

I don't think either result will change anything though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

In relation to the game against Bolton we all know the follow facts:

1. Bolton is a league 1 side

2. We scored a penalty

3. We scored directly from a corner kick

4. We went 1-0 down

5. We won the game 4-1

If we want to discuss Gerrard's approach to the game etc then great, this is the appropriate place to do so. Posting comments regurgitating the same facts with an attempt of a swipe at Gerrard ruins the thread and is childish. Maybe the mods could open an u12s section on VT if this is really want people want to do

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've also just had a look at all the other Cup results involving Premier League teams against Championship and League 1 opposition.

I was shocked to not see a plethora of thrashings of at least a margin of 4 goals plus, and clean sheets.

Everton beat Fleetwood 1 - 0

Wolves beat Preston 1 - 0

Fulham lost 0 - 2 to Crawley

Newcastle beat Tranmere 2 - 1

Leicester were held to 0 - 0 by Stockport and won on penalties for example.

You can only beat what's in front of you, even if we fielded a team of World Class " Internationals" lol

Don't know why it's so difficult for people to accept any sort of positive.

Now we are saying it's because " they tired " , even if this is true, isn't stamina a part of the game? 🤣

AJ tired against Usyk, and that's the only reason he probably beat him I'll say.

That’s fair, Wolves was 2-1 btw.

Loved Tranmere’s goal against Newcastle, wonderful play, we could do with a bit of that!

But…
did you enjoy that first half?

Have you enjoyed our last few games?

Did say that “sorting ourselves out” in the second half gives me some sort of encouragement… but we have some massive tests coming up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

In relation to the game against Bolton we all know the follow facts:

1. Bolton is a league 1 side

2. We scored a penalty

3. We scored directly from a free kick

4. We went 1-0 down

5. We won the game 4-1

If we want to discuss Gerrard's approach to the game etc then great, this is the appropriate place to do so. Posting comments regurgitating the same facts with an attempt of a swipe at Gerrard ruins the thread and is childish. Maybe the mods could open an u12s section on VT if this is really want people want to do

Are you a Community Support Moderator?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Remember when Leicester were dumped out the Cup by 4th tier side Newport County?

The term " giant killers " exist for a reason. These are HUGE games for lower League clubs.

With the financials in lower league football and coming out of Covid the Cups are a lifeline for lower league clubs. Getting a full crowd at the games and getting on TV against a PL side is what the clubs dream about. It is a massive day for the clubs and their fans. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

That’s fair, Wolves was 2-1 btw.

Loved Tranmere’s goal against Newcastle, wonderful play, we could do with a bit of that!

But…
did you enjoy that first half?

Have you enjoyed our last few games?

Did say that “sorting ourselves out” in the second half gives me some sort of encouragement… but we have some massive tests coming up. 

No I haven't, as a board, most of us are on a similar page with regards to current status evaluation of Management.

However whilst some of us want to grasp any positive we can get and hope it turns, some people are desperate to dwell on the negatives regardless.

In my post match I said still concerned but overall enjoyed that game and happy we won in the end.

You could see the team were short on confidence and it grew as the game went on, regardless of opposition, you hope it will help and can be carried into the PL.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

With the financials in lower league football and coming out of Covid the Cups are a lifeline for lower league clubs. Getting a full crowd at the games and getting on TV against a PL side is what the clubs dream about. It is a massive day for the clubs and their fans. 

It’s also nice for our fans to see a strong team be fielded. I know I’d appreciate it if I’d travelled to Bolton on a Tuesday night.

edit: Gerrard respected Bolton and respected the cup.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Newcastle played a reserve team. Targett was the only first teamer to start as he is back from injury

Really. 

There starting line up contained

Darlow(starting keeper last season) 

Targett,  Lascelles, willock, wood and others that played most of last season and also started this season. 

Plus they brought on Trippier, Botman, Joelinton,  Guimaraes

So I wouldn't call it there reserves,  but that doesn't fit your narrative,  yes you hate the manager and have wanted him to fail from the start,  so you can shout from the roof tops you were right all along and knew better than the owners and board. 

But please get facts right before spouting your nonsense,  as its getting boring. 🥱

1st half we are bad,  but that could be down to Bolton being up for it as it was there cup final,  but we won in the end and convincingly and that's all that matters

Edited by Joshie2000
  • Thanks 1

Pointing out other teams struggling in the cup is pointless. We all know it happens every single year. That's what makes these cups entertaining in the early rounds. 

Did those other teams play a full strength side? Is their league form abysmal? 

People keeping acting like anything negative is based around 1 moment or 1 game. It's not. 

And I'm someone who was glad we went full strength and thought our 2nd half was very good.

1 minute ago, Joshie2000 said:

Really. 

There starting line up contained

Darlow(starting keeper last season) 

Targett,  Lascelles, willock, wood and others that played most of last season and also started this season. 

Plus they brought on Trippier, Botman, Joelinton,  Guimaraes

So I wouldn't call it there reserves,  but that doesn't fit your narrative,  yes you hate tge manager and have wanted him to fail from the start,  so you can shout from the roof tops you were right all along and new better that the owners and board. 

But please get facts right before spouting your nonsense,  as its getting boring. 🥱

Players that played last season and now don't are reserves surely? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

JV, what you expect and want to see, from a PL side playing against lower league opposition, is that the PL side  is dominating possession, being composed and patient in play, stringing passes together, some build up play…

We were a mess in that first half against such inferior opposition and they looked better than us.

I am sick to death of how poor we are in possession of the ball. Why don’t we keep the ball on the ground and focus on build up? Maybe build a sequence of at least 5 passes before we just boot it?

It’s so frustrating… we have the players, we have the technical quality but the set up , system, coaching and tactics are all off…

Upsets happen, of course, but (as debatable as it is) I think it’s usually when the other team has more aggression and tenacity and the superior side struggles to break them down and are having an “off day”. Rather than being outplayed in terms of possession and effectiveness with the ball…

We are so crap with the ball… it’s a massive frustration. We can be and do so much better…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No I haven't, as a board, most of us are on a similar page with regards to current status evaluation of Management.

However whilst some of us want to grasp any positive we can get and hope it turns, some people are desperate to dwell on the negatives regardless.

In my post match I said still concerned but overall enjoyed that game and happy we won in the end.

You could see the team were short on confidence and it grew as the game went on, regardless of opposition, you hope it will help and can be carried into the PL.

Again that’s fair… I don’t mean to argue with you mate.

But it’s hard to take too much from that game imo and apply it to PL games…

I want to be encouraged, I want to be hopeful… It’s just hard at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Pointing out other teams struggling in the cup is pointless. We all know it happens every single year. That's what makes these cups entertaining in the early rounds. 

Did those other teams play a full strength side? Is their league form abysmal? 

People keeping acting like anything negative is based around 1 moment or 1 game. It's not. 

And I'm someone who was glad we went full strength and thought our 2nd half was very good.

I think it’s been generally accepted across the forum that Gerrards time at villa has no way been good enough and the reasons for it have been discussed quite extensively. So I think it’s fair to now discuss things on a game by game basis?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

didn't against Bolton....maybe he's learning or Critchley is getting to grips with the new job.

I disagree, the midfield was still wide open, I would argue a combination of tired legs and a bit of fortune with respect to the penalty and goal keeper positioning put the tie to bed.

Watch how easy we were to bypass again by simply playing through the lines.  When we try to be more compact we are picked off over the top.  

12 hours ago, macandally said:

I disagree, the midfield was still wide open, I would argue a combination of tired legs and a bit of fortune with respect to the penalty and goal keeper positioning put the tie to bed.

Watch how easy we were to bypass again by simply playing through the lines.  When we try to be more compact we are picked off over the top.  

TBF I didn't watch the game, but one of the podcasters (UTV) reported the average playing postions, with the 3 midfielders compact around the centre circle....and made a point of praising it

so some folk are getting their analysis all to cock.....which is not ver helpful.

Â