• Ramsey (Kamara 71)
    • Buendía (Coutinho 71)
    • Bailey (Watkins 71)
    • Archer (Ings 82)
    • Iroegbunam (Luiz 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/08/22 at 22:59

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrard left a strong squad for the next manager. Maybe the same will happen at Villa. 

only 6 players starting tonight were regulars under Gerrard, four signed by the new manager and a keeper Gerrard never used

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

only 6 players starting tonight were regulars under Gerrard, four signed by the new manager and a keeper Gerrard never used

So the majority of the starting 11 then.

🤔

You say " only 6 " like teams field 37 players 🤣

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So the majority of the starting 11 then.

🤔

You say " only 6 " like teams field 37 players 🤣

considering he left 8 months ago its a lot. The new manager has been able to work with the new players and get to the Champions League and not lose to Ferencvaros

On Saturday we started with 2 players that he inherited and he makes them look like strangers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Very much hope so, that first half was absolutely dire but encouraging that we managed to sort ourselves out for the second.

Much bigger tests to come, hoping for positive results and performances. I want to enjoy watching my football club again…

The average positions of midfield was much better, much closer proximity to each other.

It was only Bolton, but maybe a start.

I found half time interesting at Bolton.

I think SG read the riot act to them as the subs didn’t come out to warm up for 10 mins.

Hopefully he laid down some home truths because whilst there may be some deficiencies with tactics it still doesn’t explain how people can play so badly individually.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I found half time interesting at Bolton.

I think SG read the riot act to them as the subs didn’t come out to warm up for 10 mins.

Hopefully he laid down some home truths because whilst there may be some deficiencies with tactics it still doesn’t explain how people can play so badly individually.

Confidence? I think they were a bit rattled by how Bolton took the game to them. Second half was a combination of Bolton not being able to sustain their approach and our players getting their shit together. 

Just now, TRO said:

The average positions of midfield was much better, much closer proximity to each other.

It was only Bolton, but maybe a start.

I hope so, the only solution to calming nerves and quelling anger & frustration are positive results and performances. I want to see us play well more than anything and have a defined, consistent and effective way of playing. With the players we have, we should be concentrated on keeping the ball on the ground and a short passing game with intricate passages of play. It’s what you need to do when you have talents like Buendia, Coutinho and Ramsey… and it’s how we will best service our strikers. We need to cut down on the hoofball and aimless crossing. Get the fullbacks to prioritise defending (Cash is excellent at it) over attacking (I think it’s a stupid set up) and allow the attack minded players to thrive and free then up to express themselves.

We’ve always agreed that we need to solidify that midfield base… so far, SG hasn’t fully addressed it…

I honestly believe that in Buendia we have one of the most deadly and penetrative passers in the league. His accuracy and weight of pass are fantastic. He needs his teammates to be ok his wavelength and he will supply… with ease…

Coutinho can do similar but I see him as more of a goal threat than a creator (compared to Emi) and he’s probably best suited to playing off the CF.

One is a player on the way up, the other is on the way down to be frank but can still be a major asset.

Anyway, I want to see positive changes, I really do…

BTW TRO, what are your views on the captaincy? Treatment of Mings? State of McGinn.

I’ve already shared my opinion on that several times… it’s a problem we didn’t need…

1 minute ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Is it encouraging that a league 1 team tired in the second half against premier league opposition?

Interesting how 'managed to sort ourselves out' morphed into ' that a league 1 team tired'. Would there be a scent of a bias coming through there?

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Interesting how 'managed to sort ourselves out' morphed into ' that a league 1 team tired'. Would there be a scent of a bias coming through there?

It’s not that unreasonable a point really. They started with intensity and we were a mess. It wasn’t even a full strength side or first choice GK - who really struggled on the day. 

They did tire in the second half and we made all those changes.

We still can’t produce a 90 minute performance, regardless of opposition. And there’s an argument that we don’t improve until we bring our better players off the bench.

The best example is Buendia but we continued to see this trend in preseason.

Personally, I’m just tired and want to see a turnaround somehow. Any sign for encouragement is welcome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yea probably, it was a loose loose game for me to be honest with the team that was picked especially with the aspirations for the season.

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It wasn’t even a full strength side or first choice GK - who really struggled on the day. 

They did tire in the second half and we made all those changes.

We still can’t produce a 90 minute performance, regardless of opposition. And there’s an argument that we don’t improve until we bring our better players off the bench.

The best example is Buendia but we continued to see this trend in preseason.

Personally, I’m just tired and want to see a turnaround somehow. Any sign for encouragement is welcome.

If it wasn't for their goalie, we could have scored 6 or 7.

I'm not sure he " struggled " bar maybe 1 mistake.

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

League 1 reserves actually so probably had few minutes all season

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The penalty, Digne goal and conceding direct from a corner

Nyland couldnt even achieve all 3

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I've also just had a look at all the other Cup results involving Premier League teams against Championship and League 1 opposition.

I was shocked to not see a plethora of thrashings of at least a margin of 4 goals plus, and clean sheets.

Everton beat Fleetwood 1 - 0

Wolves beat Preston 1 - 0

Fulham lost 0 - 2 to Crawley

Newcastle beat Tranmere 2 - 1

Leicester were held to 0 - 0 by Stockport and won on penalties for example.

You can only beat what's in front of you, even if we fielded a team of World Class " Internationals" lol

Don't know why it's so difficult for people to accept any sort of positive.

Now we are saying it's because " they tired " , even if this is true, isn't stamina a part of the game? 🤣

AJ tired against Usyk, and that's the only reason he probably beat him I'll say.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I see Newcastle faired better last night against league 2 Tranmere,   oh they went 1 nil behind and only. Won 2-1, I bet there fans are not bedwetting like some on here. 

Cup games against lower league away are always no win,  as they are always up for it for about an hour,  but normally,  quality and fitness eventually wins in the end,  you see it every year in League Cup and FA Cup. 

We won and that's all that matters for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joshie2000 said:

I see Newcastle faired better last night against league 2 Tranmere,   oh they went 1 nil behind and only. Won 2-1, I bet there fans are not bedwetting like some on here. 

Cup games against lower league away are always no win,  as they are always up for it for about an hour,  but normally,  quality and fitness eventually wins in the end,  you see it every year in League Cup and FA Cup. 

We won and that's all that matters for me. 

Newcastle played a reserve team. Targett was the only first teamer to start as he is back from injury

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Newcastle played a reserve team. Targett was the only first teamer to start as he is back from injury

The disrespect of them fielding Targettinho against lower League opposition to play with reserves!

Fresh from injury or not.

Â