Ismaila Sarr

Aston_Villan4

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

There is some crazy stuff in this last sentence, which suggests you have no idea about how the transfer market works, but it’s not worth unpicking because for all you say, you still haven;t shown any sense in which the club was “desperate” in this transaction.

I believe we were desperate because after allegedly 2-3 years of following this winger, we chucked nearly £30m plus players at it within minutes of getting smashed at Palace - when we don't play with wingers.

I may well be wrong and perhaps over reacting on the PR stuff - but everything about this transfer reeks of panic and desperation. How can it not? He doesn't suit our style of play, we haven't recruited for a different style all summer - it appears as though we've either gone big on him outta nowhere, or randomly decided to change our tactics out of nowhere.

There's 50 pages of people not understanding the deal because it doesn't suit us. Don't be so condescending as though it's mental it appears desperate. 

If any other club had the start we did and then plucked a player out of nowhere that doesn't suit them it would appear a touch desperate and it does for us too

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It happens, I think we'd all agree that the ways deals are conducted here is pretty decent. If this one isnt right then walk away. Alternatively this could also be part of the negotiation.

I thought so but based on some reactions here it doesn’t seem like everyone feels the same way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

To be fair Nick, winger in a winger isn't necessarily at the expense of the other positions we need. New players don't always walk through the door in order of the priority to Aston Villa.

Oh I agree and we’ll only know at the end of the window what it meant

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

What's weird is pretending that there's nothing weird about this deal. Been a strange one from the start as he's not what we need. I rate him as a player but why are we suddenly prioritizing a winger over CM, striker, or even a CB? 

And the manner in which it's fallen apart, very strange. As others have queried, if Gerrard and the recruitment team (presumably that means Lange and his scouts) had reservations, who made the bid and agreed the deal?

V weird indeed.

Transfer deals fall through on multiple occasions with all clubs. Some we hear about and some we don't

The truth of the matter is NONE of us know what has actually happened. It's all speculation and a lot of it in here is, as ever, an over reaction and just guess work.

We all agree the midfield still needs addressing and it should have been done by now but buying/selling players is never simple  thing. There are so many complexities.

I am still hopeful we will buy a midfielder we all crave for before the transfer deadline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

So, just to summarise:

A) The club is a shambles for wanting to buy Sarr - a player who plays in a position we never utilise.

B ) The club is a shambles for failing to do the deal over Sarr - shows there is something very fishy going on behind the scenes.

Thanks for enlightening me on this one, Villatalk!

Clubs a shambles mate, shambles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought in this day and age it was all done through agents so we should have known the players demands in advance. I guess this type of thing happens to all clubs every now and again, but just adds to the feeling of the club being slightly in disarray at the moment

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

I am still hopeful we will buy a midfielder we all crave for before the transfer deadline.

A good start would be replacing the one's who are in terrible form / not good enough with the ones we already have.

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Clubs a shambles mate, shambles. 

Shambles is way too harsh but I don't think we can pretend things are going to plan. 

We've spent a shit load of money, sacked a popular manager and currently look one of the worst sides in the league. 

We then seem on the verge of signing a promising exciting player and it falls through.

It's not a shambles but We're not in a good place right now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Shambles is way too harsh but I don't think we can pretend things are going to plan. 

We've spent a shit load of money, sacked a popular manager and currently look one of the worst sides in the league. 

We then seem on the verge of signing a promising exciting player and it falls through.

It's not a shambles but We're not in a good place right now. 

Twas tongue in cheek dear boy :D 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

So u think the manager should not have a final say on the players in his squad. We will need to agree to differ on that

The way it works at most well-run clubs is the current manager has a veto. He can say no to a player, which is reasonable if he's not going to use him anyway.

That doesn't mean the manager has final say on transfers. The search is led by other people and the manager doesn't decide which targets to go after.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't see why some are desperate to ridicule people who aren't seeing the light at the moment.

It is possible to believe this may not have been the right player at the right time for us. As a club we've been one player short for a number of years (Strikers, DM in particular in our time back in the Prem). It isn't a jump to think this could be been the last big purchase, leaving the midfield as is. Perhaps not a 'shambles' but a potential big mistake when our issues are so obvious.

Similarly, we can recognise that Sarr is a good player and the smoke coming out isn't good. It does appear that our general belief there is a big plan behind closed doors, is perhaps a touch wide of the mark at the moment. Shambles might be harsh, but it's just the word that gets used on forums for these things. Doesn't have to mean more than that

Don't quite get why these things can't both be true.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Would have been nice but not one of the players we really need. Not the end of the world. He is a good player at a good age and value.

I have to say that Lange is technically good and efficient, but him/the scouts aren’t really pulling rabbits out of hats, nor buying emerging talent which is what I expected.

• Like 1

Â