Which three former players would you sign in this window (if you could)?

John

The general consensus is that we need to sign another three or more players during the present transfer window. In the current absence of any concrete links to ponder, I began to think which former Villa players, I would bring back to the club for next season, if I could. We did it with Ashley Young last season and it has been frequently suggested in the past, that we might bring back the likes of Benteke, Barry and Milner.

Who exceptional player would you bring back now, that once wore our claret & blue shirt? Can you think of say a central defender, a midfield player and a striker, that would walk straight back into our first team next season? Or perhaps you would prefer two midfield players and a striker or a defender, the choice is yours to make.

Money is no object, the players would be playing as they did during their best years at the club and all the players would be more than willing to pull on our shirt again, rather than wait for Citeh to come in for them. You will have the use of the Tardis to travel back in time and can select any player who played for our first team during the past fifty years.

For example, if you want a central defender, is there any choice to be made other than Paul McGrath? Chris Nicholl, Allan Evans, Ken McNaught, Ugo, Martin Keown, Gareth Southgate, Gary Cahill, Olof Mellberg and Martin Laursen, might like to be considered too. In the middle, how about Bruce Rioch, Gordon Cowans, Dennis Mortimer, Steve McMahon, David Platt, Ian Taylor, Andy Townsend and James Milner? Up front, how about Brian Little, Andy Gray, Peter Withe, Gary Shaw, Dean Saunders, Cyrille Regis and Dion Dublin? it’s not an easy choice to make is it?

My choice would be Paul McGrath, Dennis Mortimer and Brian Little or perhaps Gray, Little and Dennis, or Rioch, Mortimer and Paul, perhaps a wide player like Ray Graydon or Tony Morley? How about Merse or even Dwight and Jack?

Which three would make the most difference to our team next year and are you now bringing back?

• Like 1

CB - Mellberg - as much for his ability to yell at Mings and make him wake up as anything.  We are also missing a good beard in the current first XI.  (I worry that God's knees wouldn't survive for long in the modern game.)  Although it does still leave us short of cover at LB.

CM - Tricky because the obvious choice would be Sid but I don't think he is the type of player that we need to "complete" our midfield.  So probably Dennis.

I still think we need a proper striker and I worry that if we got Jack back we would resort to "give the ball to Jack" tactics.  Gary Shaw was my first proper footballing hero - so I would probably go for him.  But Dean Saunders would be a perfect fit for the fast, quick thinking finisher to get on the end of passes from Couts and Emi2.  I would also love to bring Luc Nilis back (in his prime) and for him not to get injured.  When both Ronaldo and Ruud van Nistelrooy call someone the best strike partner they ever played with - you know there must be something about them.  I mean Nilis and Couts strutting their stuff would be incredible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allani said:

CB - Mellberg - as much for his ability to yell at Mings and make him wake up as anything.  We are also missing a good beard in the current first XI.  (I worry that God's knees wouldn't survive for long in the modern game.)  Although it does still leave us short of cover at LB.

CM - Tricky because the obvious choice would be Sid but I don't think he is the type of player that we need to "complete" our midfield.  So probably Dennis.

I still think we need a proper striker and I worry that if we got Jack back we would resort to "give the ball to Jack" tactics.  Gary Shaw was my first proper footballing hero - so I would probably go for him.  But Dean Saunders would be a perfect fit for the fast, quick thinking finisher to get on the end of passes from Couts and Emi2.  I would also love to bring Luc Nilis back (in his prime) and for him not to get injured.  When both Ronaldo and Ruud van Nistelrooy call someone the best strike partner they ever played with - you know there must be something about them.  I mean Nilis and Couts strutting their stuff would be incredible.

what a shout....Luc Nilis.....Rolls Royce of a player.

We was proper cheated there, by Richard Wright and his clumsy goalkeeping.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

what a shout....Luc Nilis.....Rolls Royce of a player.

We was proper cheated there, by Richard Wright and his clumsy goalkeeping.

Unbelievable talent.  Would have loved it if we had signed him as a 25 year old - he could have done things in the PL that people would still be talking about now.

• Like 2

Â