Which three former players would you sign in this window (if you could)?

John

Well since I’ve been supporting villa ( so I’ve left out a few greats)

It would be (for our current system)

-McGrath

-Barry

-Yorke

theres many others I’d love to add, laursen, Daley, Taylor, Staunton, etc. but they’d be my three.

On 28/06/2022 at 15:19, John said:

That brings to mind a couple of quotes from Tommy Docherty on his passes, which he thought should be labelled "To whom it may concern" , on his ball control, "This boy can trap a ball further than I could kick it" and his overall opinion, of him "Tony Hateley had it all. The only thing he lacked was ability". :D  That said, he might just have kept us up in 1966/67, had the board not accepted £100,000 for him in October (with 5 goals already scored for us, following 28 the previous season) from you guessed it, Tommy Docherty. 

image.jpeg.8c45608952603d19a2362ce2a5d515ab.jpeg

He played against us for Blues in a game we won 1-0 through a Dave Simmons goal. 

• Like 1

As a slight alternative to this - which three former players would you sign in real time? As in current players not historical ones. Grealish is obviously a shoe-in. Maybe Idrissa Gueye or Vertout? Gollini? Adama Traore? Shows our current trajectory when there's barely three players we've sold recently that we'd have back.

13 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

As a slight alternative to this - which three former players would you sign in real time? As in current players not historical ones. Grealish is obviously a shoe-in. Maybe Idrissa Gueye or Vertout? Gollini? Adama Traore? Shows our current trajectory when there's barely three players we've sold recently that we'd have back.

Yes, our former captain could come here from Citeh on loan (as we would probably get more minutes coming off our bench this season, than he will coming off their one), Gueye is the obvious one (but, I think he would be kicking and screaming at the very idea) and Snake (we need someone to give the toilets inside the ground a good deep clean and he's just the man for the job (no gloves provided)...;)

image.jpeg.7b741b26fd92338f9781fb92e343170d.jpeg

Edited by John

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2022 at 07:49, fightoffyour said:

Based on the need for a CM, ST, and backup LB it’s hard to look past

Matthieu Berson

Marlon Harewood

Nicky Shorey

It's hard to look past Harewood, he was massive.

In their prime, and players I saw play for us my shortlist would be (not including OAP's we signed so no Ginola/Pires/Schmeichel/Terry etc)....

Mellberg, Laursen, Alan Wright, Barry, Milner, Grealish, Merson, Angel, Taylor, Benteke, Ugo

The three I would pick out of them would be......

Grealish, Milner, Laursen.... 

Martinez

Carlos/Laursen

Cash                                     Digne 

Kamara/Barry
                      Milner

Buendia                              Grealish
                       Ings

I'd go with that and look to buy a striker

I'll base this on who I've seen play live and who I think would elevate this team to the next level in their prime... 

Gareth Barry, Dwight Yorke, Paul McGrath. 

Martinez, Cash, Carlos, McGrath, Digne, Kamara, Barry, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, Yorke. 

That team would stroll into the top 4.

Edited by UpTheVilla26

Â